Premium Audio head unit code entering procedure needed

KS97Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat sedan, 1997, maroon, 129k mi.
Premium Audio head unit security code programming procedure needed

I'm on a long trip driving a 1998 A3 with Premium Audio head unit with Clarion cd changer in the trunk. I have the security code, but the manual I have is not for the Premium Audio unit (I suppose this wasn't the original equipment.) and some of the buttons used to enter the security code don't exist on this unit. I need to know the procedure for entering the code for this unit to make my looooooonnnnng trip more enjoyable. Please help!

Last edited:

KS97Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
No, it doesn't look like that one, but it is the single DIN size. I can't post a photo of it, unfortunately, but I can describe it. It has the large power/volume knob on the lower left with smaller bass/bal and treble/fader button/knobs to the right of that. Next, heading to the right are rectangular buttons in a grid: "Mode" (top) and "Scan" (bottom) followed by "Mix" (top) and "Rep" (bottom). To the right of those are six preset buttons, "1,2,3" on the top and "4,5,6" on the bottom. Then two buttons: ">" (top) and "<" (bottom). Above all of the buttons I've described is narrow display panel. Above that is the cassette door with "Stop/Eject" button to the left and "Rew" and "FF" buttons to the right.

Thanks so much for writing! If someone gets it solved, it's going to add music, etc. to many miles of driving in the next few days!

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
generally there is one button that has to be held. Sometimes two buttons. then you enter the code with the 1st four preset buttons and then you press the same button/s again to enter the code. If you pass a vw dealer they should have no probalems doing this for no charge.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
For a 1993 Fox: Turn on the radio. You should see SAFE displayed. Hold MODE and SCAN. After about 3 secs, "0001" should appear. Use the station preset buttons 1 thru 4 to enter your unlock code. Preset 1 changes the first digit of the code, and preset 2 changes the second digit, etc. Enter all 4 digits of the code. After code is entered, hold MODE and SCAN for about 2 seconds, until an audible signal is heard.

KS97Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
Bingo! The last idea worked. Thanks again! This radio uses a three-digit code, though. I suppose that means it's only 1/10th as safe as the others.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
no problem enjoy the trip