Bump, rattle, shake!

silvergrowler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf TDI
So on our 2002 golf with 144 k, it first started out like a minor part was loose when the front pass tire would hit a bump. Now it makes that sound when both front tires go over bumps. Almost as if the top of the shock mount was bouncing around, but I know it's not that since its on tight.

At the same time, when I start to go forward you can start to feel like a spinning vibration. Hard to describe, but reminds me of a spinning drive shaft.

I know this is very basic, but I just can't afford to go to the dealer and have them figure it out to quote me some ungodly figure. I am just trying to start some place, and maybe even replace some of the other given parts at this many miles since I will be messing in the front end.

02DslPwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, TDI
At 144k you're probably ready for a suspension refresh. Control Arm bushings, sway bar bushings, ball joints, strut mounts/bearings, etc, all can cause knocking sounds from the front. Luckily they are all pretty cheap parts, especially if you can install them yourself.

There should be a trusted mechanic very close to you. They will be much cheaper than a dealer.

Last edited:

silvergrowler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf TDI
After reading, sounds like the sway bar is the issue, but I do plan to do the rebuild of the front end since I am down there. Question, just replace the stock bushings on the bar or upgrade the front bar?

tuscTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Indigo Golf GLS, 1997 E300
If you're keeping everything like struts and springs stock I'd just replace the bushings as long as your sway bar isn't broken.

02DslPwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, TDI
Handling will be greatly improved with the addition of a thicker rear sway bar. Upgrading the front sway bar will introduce more understeer than you have already, which isnt typically what people want. At a minimum, replace the strut mounts & bearings, sway bar bushings, toss the stock control arm bushings for some Audi TT bushings, and some new struts. Ball joints and tie rods if needed, although the tie rods will be easy to replace when you are doing the sway bar bushings and they're pretty cheap too.

Firestone wanted over $300 to replace ONE tie rod end. I bought a new end for ~$25 and it took all of 30 minutes from start to finish to replace it myself.

Dont forget an alignment after everything is replaced.

silvergrowler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf TDI
So i got the bushing today to replace on the sway bar. And the brackets too. Anyway, took one wheel of and then noticed these nice things. First off, you can see the scrape marks from the sway bar hitting. Will this be fixed by replacing the bushings? The car is lowered with 20th springs. I am just not sure if it's just the bushing or if I need to get a new sway bar to work with lowering the car. Second, the box like item to the front of the sway bar kinda has a wiggle and I can make it rattle almost. Was that supposed to be like that? I have been finding weird things out about the car when I do service so I am just wondering on that.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=rvadub&target=ALBUM&id=5446891821586335873&authkey=Gv1sRgCOzYy_2Px__41QE&feat=email