Oil pressure light from too much oil?

borjawil

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta "Diesel"
06 BRM 1.9 200K

Is it possible the "STOP oil pressure" comes on from too much oil? Does not say low oil or low pressure. Oil level is at the top ball on my dip stick.

If not then Im thinking a sensor, wiring, or pump issue? I know the harnesses tend to rub and short. I had to deal with this shortly after purchasing the car and put a used good one in which solved the issues i was having. None of the other common issues are occurring from a harness rub.

How do I test the pressure sensor, wiring, and pump to make sure? Read theres an oil pump chain you can see if you drop the pan?

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
I would NOT start/drive my car before I had the pressure checked with mechanical gauge and confirmed it to be within limits.

borjawil

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta "Diesel"
Agreed but after 130 miles No issues...Im wondering if there is something related between my other symptoms and this one.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
So you drove you car for 130 miles with a low oil pressure indication as a diagnostic procedure? That's like driving on a questionable tire at high speed to see if it's going to blow out or not.

The correct way to diagnose a low oil pressure indication is to "T" a direct reading pressure gauge in at the oil pressure sending unit. This would be proof positive what your oil pressure actually is.

All though this is not an ideal diagnostic procedure, quick and dirty way to check a low oil pressure indication is to replace the oil pressure sensor with a known good sensor. They are cheap but make sure you get one from the dealers and not one of those garbage Chinese sensors from your local auto parts.

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Agreed but after 130 miles No issues...Im wondering if there is something related between my other symptoms and this one.
What other symptoms? From your post the only symptom you have is a low oil pressure indication.

Your fantasizing about a lot of different scenarios without knowing if you actually have low oil pressure or not.

borjawil

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta "Diesel"
Agreed, not the best way to diagnose haha. Right now I have oil dripping from my cat. DTC for erg recirculation which I believe was due to the actuator valve/flap leaking exhaust (worn bushing on shaft). Other than that drives fine. No decreased MPG.

borjawil

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta "Diesel"
Like I said, car drives fine. Turbo works. Ive been told and read multiple times that when the turbo goes, it goes. Unless the seals are able to start going and the turbo doesn't explode yet.
I grounded straight to the oil sensor connector and still get the same message. While doing this I noticed that the connector below and closer to the engine block is loose or the component is. Moving this while engine is running kills it. Looks like a purple and striped wire and brown possibly striped wire, and a green and striped wire. Anyone know what this goes to? Im thinking its the engine speed sensor. It seems to be mounted/connected to something in the block behind the oil filter. Ill continue to investigate and update as well. First pic is below the vehicle, second is above to show wiring (3 wires)
[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

borjawil

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta "Diesel"
Confirmed, that is my engine speed sensor. Why its loose I'm not sure. Looks like I need to remove my oil filter housing to get to the allen bolts holding it to the block.