Experience with JR Autotuning... Don't do it!

bambrooke01

TDI
09 Jetta TDI
First of all, JR Autotuning is extremely hard to communicate with. They do not respond to emails in a timely manner. They read Facebook messages and do not reply to them. I do not recommend dealing with them on any level.

I purchased a stage 2 tune for my 09 TDI in July right before the emissions modification was approved for the 09s. I had installed the DPF delete and went to install the tune and had problems from the beginning. I received the handheld tuner with no directions and no email from JR explaining what to do with it. I figured out how to send the original file and he sent me back the tune 4 days later. I went to install it, yet again with no direction, and couldn't get it to write the ECU. My car was sitting in the garage for 3 days before I could get a tune in it to run. He ended up having to send me another tune.

I drove the car through a tankful of fuel and was extremely disappointed in the fuel mileage at 39 mpg tracked with the Fuelly app. I emailed JR about the fuel mileage and didn't receive a response, so after a week I emailed again about it. Still no response two weeks later.

After all of that, I never received a response on how to go about getting logs to him. He never looked at the tuning or tried to give me another tune to try. The fuel mileage didn't improve much. I was averaging 41mpg after driving the tune for 2 months. I know someone with the same car, same DPF delete, getting 50-55 mpg. I spoke with Malone about the tuning. They told me they are not charging for the update after the emissions modification. They also told me that typically the stage 2 tunes are getting 50+mpg.

So I had the emissions modification done. I was looking to re-delete the car asap. I was thinking that JR would update the tune without charge considering the tune was purchased just days before the emissions modification was approved. Had I known the emissions modification would be approved that soon I would have waited. Why exactly would I pay another $150 for a tune that I'm getting 41 mpg with? I was getting that when the car was stock.

I don't recommend going with this company for a tune. They are extremely difficult to deal with. When you purchase a tune, you're also purchasing the support/adjustment that comes with the tune. Well you don't get any with this company.

***CLARIFICATION*** I am not complaining about JR charging for the update after the emissions modification. I am complaining about the poor fuel mileage and his inability/unwillingness to fix the tune. 41 mpg is not what is expected of a DPF delete and stage 2 tune. I cannot justify spending another $150 on an update for a tune I am getting 41 mpg with. If the tune was fixed and I was getting high 40s low 50s, I would have no problem paying the fee for the update.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
It isn't his fault that vw cheated the emissions. You shouldn't expect free tunes just because some other tuners may be giving them to customers. Poor communication is a problem. I'll usually pick up the phone and call if there is an issue.

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
This post above is ridiculous. If your Malone tune is erased due to the VW update and you need to mail it back in for tuning it is not free to get a new tune. I charge my my customers for the updates and Malone charges us for the updates.

bambrooke01

TDI
09 Jetta TDI
This post above is ridiculous. If your Malone tune is erased due to the VW update and you need to mail it back in for tuning it is not free to get a new tune. I charge my my customers for the updates and Malone charges us for the updates.
I guess I should have mentioned that they said if you have the Flashzilla V3 that they would provide the update free of charge.

AARodriguez Corp.

TDI
That's very nice of them to offer that to someone who wasn't a current customer. I don't even get the updates free for my customers.

Typically customers are getting paid $2250-$6500 by VW to get the software fix done. It seems very reasonable to charge $150 to do the work again after you allow VW to wipe out the tune.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
So why exactly did you get a tune before you had the VW fix done? :rolleyes: JR did a tune for the car presented to them and then you allowed VW to modify your ECU voiding any potential warranty relief from JR. Less than a week, it does not matter. you are at square one with your car now.

They are doing you a favor by not charging you full price for a new tune.

The logs that were eluded to should have been recorded and E-mailed to JR before the first tune was written. Was this done for your first tune?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
>Spend money
>didn't get what you want for free
>nothing you can do but learn from this and move on
>post unjustified hate
> expect us to wipe your tears
sleep on it, feel better, move on, #not your therapist bro

bambrooke01

TDI
09 Jetta TDI
>Spend money
>didn't get what you want for free
>nothing you can do but learn from this and move on
>post unjustified hate
> expect us to wipe your tears
sleep on it, feel better, move on, #not your therapist bro
I feel like you people have a really hard reading. I am not looking for anything for free. I would be perfectly fine paying for the update IF the tune was fixed. The fuel mileage is poor. Boosting mpg was the whole reason I deleted this car. I just want the tune fixed!

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
I feel like you people have a really hard reading. I am not looking for anything for free. I would be perfectly fine paying for the update IF the tune was fixed. The fuel mileage is poor. Boosting mpg was the whole reason I deleted this car. I just want the tune fixed!
Were you getting better mileage before the tune? Because 39mpg is far from unheard of with the newer cars.

AARodriguez Corp.

TDI
  • Did you send logs to JR Auto?
  • Did you check your car for boost leaks? Almost every CR has a leak at the intercooler on the driver's side.
  • Did you check your coolant temperature?
  • Did you provide a before and after mpg comparison?
  • Are you calculating by hand or are you going off of the MFD reading?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Most tuners make no claims for economy anyway, just power. Did JR Auto make any fuel economy claims or is that just your desire?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Maybe it's your attitude. The tune isn't broken. You made the tune wrong for your car by modifying the car with the VW recall.

$150 seems like a bargain for a second start from scratch tune. did you send JR logs before your first tune? If not why was that? If you didn't an important part of the tune was skipped.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Why didn't you put your the original deleted tune back on the car after the VW emissions work was complete?

Also sounds like there may be some underlying issues with the car if MPG were poor before.

Highway runs are where MPG is king, in-town driving no matter of deleting/tuning can get you free MPG.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Is it just me, or would I be out to lunch asking to know what the mileage on the car was averaging prior to all this? Driving mix? %ge of city vs highway?

There are a few missing details here.

Jb22

TDI
2015 Passat DSG
It depends whether or not you were out to lunch in a literal manner, because figuratively, asking those questions doesn't put you there.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Is it just me, or would I be out to lunch asking to know what the mileage on the car was averaging prior to all this? Driving mix? %ge of city vs highway?

There are a few missing details here.
Silly questions indeed. The way it works is you form an opinion based on the fairy tale in your head and then just keep asking questions until you get the answer you want.