2010 TDI Emissions Modification - Process/Results

TDI.lover593

TDI
2010 Jetta 2.0L TDI Sedan
Edit: February 5, 2018

This is a long post, but I want to make it as detailed as I can to help out all my fellow TDI owners. When I decided to go through with the emissions mod I had 126,500 miles on the car, and was offered $13,800 from VW for the buyback (including the $5,100 of restitution payment) and decided I wanted to go through with the modification based on what I read about the fixes and the fact that I love the car.

Fix process -

After all the paperwork was submitted I set an appointment for the fix and took it in. Since about 121k miles I had the check engine light turning on and off but figured it was just an EGR flapper so I ignored it for the time being. At about 124,500 miles the light started to remain on and found out the EGR valve needed replaced. Since I knew this didn’t affect engine performance I wasn’t in a hurry to replace it and was hoping it would be covered in the emissions mod.

Finally took the car in for the fix at 126,500 miles. Dropped the vehicle off at the dealer and they said it would be at least 2-3 days due to how busy they were. They actually gave me a 2016 CC R line as my loaner car, which was pretty nice. The next day they called and informed me that there was a crack in my boost hose with the turbo and that the engine light was on because of low flow to the EGR due to a failed diesel particulate filter and estimated cost to fix both was $2,400! They also suggested an alignment fix that will be affected while getting to the DPF. The DPF light never turned on, so I’m curious if it really failed or was just close…but I know 120k miles is about right for the DPF lifetime.

*EDIT* As infuriated as I was, I still wanted to get the fix completed and knew I would be getting the $5,100 back from VW so decided to go through with it. DPFs need to be replaced whether the car or new is not. They had to order a few parts, the parts ended up being delayed, and it wasn’t completed until 7 days after I dropped it off. Once completed, the total cost with labor ended up being $2,900. Needless to say I will try to find other options besides the dealer in the future.

Two months after my modification, I got an email from VW about the possibility of being reimbursed for the "pre modification fixes" required from my dealer. Within 3 weeks I got the entire requested amount back for my DPF, boost hose and alignment that I paid for before the fix.

Results -

Here is my experience based on the main topics VW mentioned would be different:

Engine sound – I do notice a little increase in volume, specifically from 1600 RPM to 2500 RPM, but not too much. It’s more different in the way it sounds, kind of raspier, like how it sounds when the engine is cold, but not so much louder. There is definitely more vibration though, quite noticeable when it's cold out as well.

Frequency/occurrence of engine operating modes – I Haven't noticed the DPF regeneration happening more, although it might be, but it does kind of smell when it's happening. Whenever I am parked and I notice the regen is running it definitely has a smell.

Drive mode changes – There is an obvious difference in the way the regular drive mode and sport mode operate. In regular drive mode, the engine shifts later, about 2200-2400 RPM during normal acceleration, compared to the very early shifts of the original drive mode. As for sport mode, the engine shifts much earlier, about 2300-2400 RPM compared to the typical 2900-3000 RPM of the original sport mode. The new sport mode is still very responsive, and still shifts around 3000 RPM during quick acceleration, but is noticeably different. I wouldn’t worry too much though, it is still fantastic to drive and you’ll get used to the difference quickly.

Torque difference – The only thing I’ve noticed about this is that there is a slightly longer delay in the torque when accelerating from a complete stop. It’s not impossible to get a quick jump off the line, but I suggest not pulling out into busy traffic until you’ve done it a few times first. If you shift from S to D shortly before you take off, there is more of a delay. I am not sure why.

Fuel economy *EDIT*– I definitely notice a difference. The first month or so I did not, but after 3 months, I have only made over 500 miles twice. I am hoping it is due to the winter fuel additives, along with the weather being very cold. It has only been above 40 a few times since November. I top off the tank each time, and divide the gallons by the miles I've driven. My best mileage has been 36 mpg, worst has been as low as 30! Cold weather or not, the modification definitely has decreased my MPGs by at least 2 MPG average.

Other items – high idle - When the engine is cold it idles at 1,000. I've also noticed an increase in RPM while downshifting and coming to a complete stop. When it's cold, and the engine is cold, I would increase caution while coming to a quick stop, I've had to hit the break a little harder.

- Jumpy transmission. I didn't notice at first, but after 2,000 miles since the fix I've noticed sometimes, it seems to be random, that the RPMs will jump a bit while in sport mode and traveling about 40-50 mph, especially when driving down a slight decline. I'm not sure the reasoning for this, but I know the engine used to jump randomly a bit before the fix as well, so not too worried about it.

Overall – The car runs differently, there is no way around it. However VW has treated me very well through the process, not only covering the fix, but the $5,100 reward and now the reimbursement for the pre mod fixes. When the day comes to find a new car, I will happily look at VW again.

If anyone has any questions or comments, leave them below or feel free to message me personally and I will be happy to respond. I know this is a tough decision and stressful process, but my TDI has been great to me and I am sure I will get at least another 10 years out of it.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I don't know why you were infuriated as you had known long time issues unrelated to the "fix". Sure it would have been nice if they fixed them for free. An independant that knows these cars probably could have done it for a lot less. This person is on our trusted mechanics list, near you.

Jeff's Volkswagen Repair
10463 N Kitchen Rd
Mooresville, IN 46158
(317) 834-6424

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jeffs-Volkswagen-Repair/117201205007409

marmur99

TDI
2014 Beetle DSG Sun+Sound+Nav; 2015 Touareg Lux
It is cheaper when you supply parts. You can order them online and just bring them in. I do it every time and save ~25% on parts.

sdeabs

TDI
2006 Jetta MKV TDI - total loss 08/20/2013, 2010 Jetta MKV TDI
Particulate Filter

Just had the emission recalls completed on my 2010 TDI. Took it to dealer with MIL on for particulate filter clogged. Service Rep warned me that I might need to have particulate filter replaced prior to performing emission recalls but I'd get the settlement funds to compensate me for cost of repairs. When he called me later he said recall work was complete and they didn't need to repair particulate filter. A couple hundred miles afterwards the MIL has come on twice for 008194 - Particulate Trap Bank 1.

Now that the emission recalls have been completed I have a new warranty for the emission system. So I'd like to get the particulate filter replaced free of charge.

The diesels need to regenerate to clean the particulate filter. This is not limited to VWs but a problem on diesel trucks too. Maybe VW is calculating that the particulate filter code will go away whenever it regenerates.
My Ross-Tech app reports that the particulate filter code has had several hundred occurrences. But the VW service guys cleared the code and didn't clean or replace filter. Rather than taking it to dealer again to have it repaired should I start using particulate filter cleaning fluids and force regeneration??

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
eww

didn't you think of adding $2900 to the buyback amount?

13,800 + 2900 = 16,700

Search cars.com and autotrader for 2015 TDIs. You'll find some in that price range.
Better, newer, and 162k mile warranty.

Just something for others to think about, as its too late for the OP