Two Mk 5 Jettas and Four Doors Work

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
I guess 50% ain't bad :D 2007 both right doors are screwed up. 2008 both back doors are screwed up. Just ordered a bushel of actuators and a drivers door harness for the 07. Read about microswitches, cleaning motors and I don't have time right now. I pulled one door skin and the actuator was stiff, the microswitch was sickly and things looked terminal. Right now several doors do not lock, the car does not give me the "everything is OK" beep when I lock it and if somebody opens one of the screwed up doors the alarm goes off. For now can I just unplug the siren and still drive the car? I think it's in the right front fender well. Thank you.

bobthefarmer

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Mk 5 192K miles; 2012 Car of the Year, Passat Tdi SE+Nav in blue nightgown, shod in 18 inch heels
If you are replacing the actuators on the car, will you ship me the off units. I would like to test a new clean up procedure to better document the process. Thanks.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
This is turning out to be so much fun. Replaced the driver door harness last night and it solved a couple problems, among them no dome light when the door is opened. Went to replace the driver actuator and a bolt stripped. Bolt had never been touched and it was a new bit. ***? So I think, fine, I'll do the front passenger door. A bolt stripped there too. ***x2? Did VW make the bolts out of recycled aluminum foil? Off to the dealer for some bolts. They probably keep several hundred in stock since to deal with this "non-problem". I am getting really good at removing and hanging door skins however, so there is an upside :D...:mad:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Poor quality tools will often not fit certain fasteners properly. I've never stripped any bolts (hex, Torx, Allen, XZN) on any A5 doors that I have torn into.... and there have been a LOT of doors.

You are into the rust belt, though, so maybe that made the problem worse?

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Poor quality tools will often not fit certain fasteners properly. I've never stripped any bolts (hex, Torx, Allen, XZN) on any A5 doors that I have torn into.... and there have been a LOT of doors.

You are into the rust belt, though, so maybe that made the problem worse?
It was brain fade. When I tapped the socket into the actuator bolt, they came out fine. Got a couple actuators replaced on both cars and the harness on the 07. All locks work now and both cars beep happily. Thanks for the help.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
If you are replacing the actuators on the car, will you ship me the off units. I would like to test a new clean up procedure to better document the process. Thanks.
Going to autopsy a couple of them myself, but will PM you if I donate some to your project.