West Michigan Fall TDI GTG - October 2017

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Hey parts guys, I'm shopping for new under engine plastic and the side pieces, shoot me a PM if you have anything.

2003 Jetta wagon
I'd go with a metal skid plate, not that flimsy plastic thing. I've hit many things on the A4 Jetta I used to have (sold to a friend, still running strong) and there are many scratches on the metal skid plate it has. I remember one winter going over a large show/ice chunk and the metal plate pulverized it! (Want to try that with the OEM plastic piece?) It's also much easier to take on/off too - less fasteners to screw with (pun intended) plus much easier to clean.

Here's one source for same which includes options:

https://www.dieselgeek.com/MK4_Jetta_skid_plate_s/1835.htm

Bad_Vision

TDI
1985 Toyota pickup TDI swapped.
@r90skirk I have a TDI swapped Toyota pickup would you mind if I came I would like to get some input on my new favorite powerplant and I'm sure you guys would like to see it!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
@r90skirk I have a TDI swapped Toyota pickup would you mind if I came I would like to get some input on my new favorite powerplant and I'm sure you guys would like to see it!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Bad Vision,

I'm sure I can speak for most everyone, - we all love to see a good swap project! There may be a couple of other TDI swapped trucks here as well.

Bring it in,

Kirk

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
two more names added to the TUNE list - keep em coming.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I'd love to take a road trip in the wagon,but I'm on nights for the month of October and I work Friday night into Saturday morning:(.....

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I'd like to point out to the newbies here that while Kirk has a tune list going the list that matters is the sign up sheet that Jeff / Rocketchip puts out at the GTG. Jeff generally does tunes in the order they appear on his sign up sheet. So it is wise to put one's name on Jeff's sign up sheet upon your arrival at this GTG - higher up you are on Jeff's list, sooner you will get tuned. ;)

Boostdcrx91

TDI
Looking for one
So if I brought up parts like a delete kit, would I get some help with installation? Still on the look out for BEW performance parts if anyone has any.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

papa_smurf49319

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Galactic Blue Jetta GLS
Hey Jeff! I am on the list for a stage 2 tune from you oct 14 at Kirks place in cedar springs mi.

Just had a few questions for ya. I have a 01 alh manual with almost 300k. I have a really nice south bend clutch in it and egr delete, but that is it as far as mods go. Mileage and reliability are my number one importance but if I can keep that and have more power why not! I would like to put a new set of nozzle tips in it before the meet. I don't care about some smoke when I get on it. Question is, what tips would you recommend, and should I get a stage 3 or a stage 2. I know my clutch can handle it. Don't wanna sacrifice too much fuel mileage or reliability though

Sent this email to Jeff and Facebooked rocketchip. Anybody have any opinions?

Thanks

Cody

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Cody, I don't want to comment for Jeff but I'm not sure he's checking this thread. I've been down this road with him enough time that I feel I can safely make a suggestion. First, my opinion: I think RC3 with stock nozzles is a wonderful setup on an otherwise stock car. Easy on the hardware, low smoke, great FE, and a nice power bump.

However, if your injectors are old and you want to refresh them (if they're original it's time), then I'd suggest Bosio DLC520s. Jeff likes to tune for RC2 or 3 with those nozzles. I'm not sure if Kirk has a pop tester or if he wants to swap nozzles at the GTG. If not, then I'd suggest you have them mounted and pop tested at a Bosch Fueling shop prior to the GTG. Given the miles on your car it'll ensure the injectors are working properly with the new nozzles.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I'm not sure if Kirk has a pop tester or if he wants to swap nozzles at the GTG.
FWIW the only pop tester I've seen at Kirk's GTG's has been the one that Franko6 brings from Missouri. Do not know if Frank plans to make this one. IIRC he has attended all of Kirk's past GTG's though.

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
FWIW - I do not have a pop tester, nor do I do any calibration or testing of nozzles.

I'd agree with Peter, as at your mileage, it'd behoove you to install new ones as they are a wear item. If you want to order some up and have them calibrated ahead of time, we'd be more than happy to install them at the GTG.

Kirk

InfoSec

Veteran Member
Kirk: Do you know if Jeff will be in there the night before? I know you mentioned something along those lines a few weeks ago. I am thinking I'd like him to do the tune on the ML350 but since it takes a few hours, I wondered if he would still be coming in early and if so, would he have time to do it that Friday evening. I remember you saying the evening could be busy for him, though. I can't find his number otherwise, I'd call him to see if he could/would still do it. Thanks.
-Mike B

Update: I will check FB tonight. I think that's where I found it last time. I'll get back to you if I can't find it.

Last edited:

InfoSec

Veteran Member
Why not just go to Rocketchip's website? Jeff's business phone number appears there on the 'Contact Us' page:

http://www.rocketchip.com/
Why? If you must know, it is because I can't. TDI Club is not blocked at my place of business, but for some reason his site is. And furthermore, to answer your follow-up question in advance, I cannot use my smartphone to connect to the internet at work. So I can't use that, either. Next time, I will just text Kirk and help to keep the posts to a minimum.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Why? If you must know, it is because I can't. TDI Club is not blocked at my place of business, but for some reason his site is.
Could have said that fact up front to save some of this chatter.

Here's what you need off Rocketchip's site then:

Mon - Fri. 9am - 4:30pm
(717) 676-8755

That should be Eastern Time zone as he lives in Pennsylvania. I was out at his place once a few years back.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I'll likely need Jeff R. to tweak my RC5-ASV-Euro-Tune, as Franko6 will be sending me nozzles soon that hopefully work well in my TDI. My current Bosio PP764s are not fueling well. Please put me on the list.

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
Say Kirk, is there any new word on the wheel guy?

papa_smurf49319

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Galactic Blue Jetta GLS
Got my nozzles ordered this morning from idparts. Thanks for the help indigobluewagon! I will have them installed and ready for the tune before I get to the meet. Now a mad dash to get damage fixed from the deer I hit on Saturday:(!

Thanks for the help everyone

Cody

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll likely need Jeff R. to tweak my RC5-ASV-Euro-Tune, as Franko6 will be sending me nozzles soon that hopefully work well in my TDI. My current Bosio PP764s are not fueling well. Please put me on the list.
Added to the list - thanks!