MK7 Golf Build

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
That would be an easy solution. Noise is most prevalent in lower gears, doesn't change when turning, and only on decel. Once I get some free time away from work, I'll see about getting the synchros done. Tempted to outsource that work this time around!
Wonder if the speed dependent sound you hear is beginning issue with axles.
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Lol dude your post is a total joke! There is a reason why a Stage 1 remap costs into 4-500 euro and a sh:t box with some resistors inside costs pretty much the same.
You said you read lots of forums, and still dumb questions after all this reading?
Read some more!
Since your tone was a little awkward..i used the same.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
NON-USERS PLEASE DO NOT REPLY! I do not want to hear you're rhetoric since most of you seem to be biased toward ECU remaps and your anti-tuning box arguments are only hypothetical.
This is a build thread. If you read any of it you would see that the OP has done anything and everything except use one of those tuning boxes.

Even if the OP had used one of those tuning boxes the thread is about an Mk7 which does not share an engine with the 2013 TDi.

Free bump for a great build, any update on the transmission work?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

MT-2013MK7

TDI
2013 Golf
This is a build thread. If you read any of it you would see that the OP has done anything and everything except use one of those tuning boxes.

No need to get upset, Cuzoe, with my post being located in the wrong forum topic. I'm seldom on this TDI Club forum. So, I'm not that familiar navigating. I thought I was posting my question under the right category. I apologize to you if I offended you in any way.

I thought these forums were suppose to be used to help others with common interests and share information. NOT used to slander and bash people who don't share your common ideas. I thought that behavior was left to websites that deal in politics.

Last edited:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
MT - mistakes happen, no worries. To give you some advice, get a proper tune.

Gearbox should come off next week so I can take a look at the damage. Car is driveable, just shifting into 2nd unless stopped is a bit crunchy.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Quit edit: I'm not upset or offended. Just don't want this fantastic thread to get off topic as it's my inspiration.

In any case, adjat84th, I got my Rotorlabs kit about 2 weeks ago, will be installed the end of next week along with the GTI/R master cylinder. Rob at Rotorlabs told me to give him a call about a rear upgrade kit they can put together.

It would be cosmetic for me (as are the fronts, since my car is unlikely to go beyond the Kerma tune unless I move out of California) but those baby brakes in the back are going to look ridiculous once the 17z's are installed up front. They look borderline ridiculous already because the RSE05s are so open. Will also be doing the H&Rs with stock dampers for now, along with the Unibrace UBQ. The springs alone will probably satisfy my handling wants but the entrance to my apartment is on a hill with some strange compound dips/slopes. The car creaks and moans every time I enter/exit the garage and I can't stand it, haha. Hopefully the UBQ will alleviate some of that.

I have the Nuespeed Rear Torsion bar and torque arm insert as well. Probably going to hold off on these for now, need to ease my wife into a more aggressive feeling daily. She hates when we drive the Mk4, and for good reason too.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Small update:
2nd gear lost all three synchro ring "ears" as expected, 1st gear was missing two as well! So, even with a fluidampr, 15k miles was all it took to kill some synchros.

The thought of cryo-treating these synchros has crossed my mind as a possible solution, but I don't have enough experience to know whether or not that would cure the problem long-term. It is not a very expensive procedure to have done, so maybe no harm no foul. If I don't go that route, it's back to a DMF setup for me.

For the record, it does not appear that 02M synchros are compatible in an 02Q even though the hubs have interchangeable part numbers. The inner synchro rings lock into the gears differently and the material used on the middle rings would likely not hold up to the ridges on the brass units.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
That's a bummer. I'd just bite the bullet and throw a Sachs SRE or Southbend high torque dmf setup on there. You don't need to have to tear it back apart again any time soon. I imagine you'll want to flush the gearbox out once or twice to get any lingering bits out.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
I am in the process of looking at the DMF kit from South Bend, I would just like to find out exactly what is changed in the DMF if anything.

Update: South Bend confirmed that their flywheel is a Sachs unit, no upgraded DMF is available through them. Not sure what justifies that price point in the kit then.

The SRE kit from Sachs looks to only replace the flywheel, no mention of added strength besides the clutch disk. In addition to my bad luck, the last tune update was making the clutch slip. I can't even begin to fathom that this turbo creates THAT much torque down low. But, that's where I'm at, a clutch rated at 528tq at the crank with 15k miles is slipping. To be fair, this turbo reaches 31psi by 1800rpm when logging 4th gear...that's a lot of abuse to a clutch.

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
you need a lot more flywheel mass making that kind of torque

think of your engine as an impact wrench, and the flywheel mass as one of those torque limiting spring steel extensions
there isn't any movement going on between the two so the comparison's kind of crap, but the inertia smooths out the hits of the power strokes
same as a DMF does, but with springs that eventually fail

One thing that sucks about a real heavy FW is that you're either dragging the engine down with the clutch on upshifts (which with a nasty clutch like mine means a whole butt-ton of shock load on the axles), or waiting for a second or more for the engine to come back down.
A heavier duty DMF could be just the secret sauce needed.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Wow! It sucks to see that the syncros on 1st and 2nd are already junk after only 15K miles. :eek:

There's a better way to strengthen your syncros and gears besides cryo treating them and that would be sending them to WPC Treatment

I just learned about them a couple of months ago on VWVortex when a member posted how he was going to send his Wavetrac diff to them to get treated. It definitely seems like a unique process that not only strengthens the part, but also reduces friction. http://www.wpctreatment.com/about.htm

I don't know much more beyond that about it, but if you're interested I could try and find the Vortex member that had his diff treated to get his take on having his diff treated.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Remove the syncros

I did that on my nv4500.

Just need to be intelligent when shifting.

Reverse is non synced from factory.

The biggest issue I had is I kept forgetting to get take off gear engaged before coming to a complete stop. The gear lube kept whirling everything when in neutral. Also basically needs to be started while in gear.

But I'm decent with it now.

Its so awesome. Over half the people I know who drive manuals can't drive mine. They're baffled and thing something is wrong.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Got an update from South Bend that their DMF is just a Sachs unit, nothing upgraded about it. I do wonder though if my Fluidampr would get rid of DMF shudder as it did back on the stock DMF.
Tons of variables at this point. I may do as 486 suggested and get a much heavier SMF. The DC SMF is only 17lbs, which also contributes to gear noise at low speeds.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The fluidampr definitely won't hurt, but I think the uprated SRE DMF (assuming it is uprated)itself should eliminate the shudder on it's own. Also, you could always ask Malone to take a little fueling/boost out below 2000 rpm. Oddly, Kerma sells an 02Q SRE dmf kit that apparently comes with a LUK dmf. Maybe it's just the LUK style dmf.

Last edited:

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Yeah, you are better off burning $100 bills to heat your house than buying one of those South Bend clutchs built on a stock DMF. Not much of a point to have a clutch that holds 500ftlbs when the flywheel won't handle 300ftlbs. I tried one of those SRE DMF clutch kits from Darkside on a customers CR170 car. Didn't shudder but only lasted 10k before it came apart. They wouldn't warranty it.

Swap in an 02M and all your troubles will go away.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Check out this latest post from Force Fed Engineering(FFE Racing) https://www.instagram.com/p/BoZF-K6lu9d/?taken-by=fferacing

From what I gather you maybe able to run 02M internals in your 02Q if I'm reading the post correctly. Feel free to correct me if I interpreted the post incorrectly. I'm not sure if it would help or not, but I figured it was worth posting up, in case it would help solve your transmission whoas. :confused:

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
DSG swap will end your problems and your car will be much faster :)
There is a 365hp 675nm 2.0 PD 4motion running under 12 seconds /402m with DQ250 and expensive remap only.
Im sure it will hold your 250hp without problems.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Maybe he prefers driving a manual to attempting to set 1/4 mile drag records.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Unfortunately swapping in a DSG or even an 02M are not cheap options. The 02M swap in itself would be the cost of the gearbox AND a matching clutch setup. I'm already looking at a new clutch in my current situation. I will have some more info on 02M synchros and why they won't work in the 02Q as soon as I get the 02Q synchros in from the dealer this week. Swapping an entire 1-4 output shaft from 02M is a possibility, but without one in hand there's no way in knowing.

I did ask Darkside for a clutch recommendation. The Sachs SRE DMF setup holds 400ft-lbs consistently on their dyno, so they stand behind that rating. Of course they mention driving with mechanical sympathy due to the DMF which is understandable, but I really think the fluidampr could help with some of that. It's either that kit, or being dumb one more time and trying a heavier SMF and potentially replacing synchros down the road again.

Last edited:

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
The only cars we run CR engine and SMF are our drag cars really

TDI
'15 GSW tdi
Unfortunately swapping in a DSG or even an 02M are not cheap options. The 02M swap in itself would be the cost of the gearbox AND a matching clutch setup. I'm already looking at a new clutch in my current situation. I will have some more info on 02M synchros and why they won't work in the 02Q as soon as I get the 02Q synchros in from the dealer this week. Swapping an entire 1-4 output shaft from 02M is a possibility, but without one in hand there's no way in knowing.

I did ask Darkside for a clutch recommendation. The Sachs SRE DMF setup holds 400ft-lbs consistently on their dyno, so they stand behind that rating. Of course they mention driving with mechanical sympathy due to the DMF which is understandable, but I really think the fluidampr could help with some of that. It's either that kit, or being dumb one more time and trying a heavier SMF and potentially replacing synchros down the road again.

Any update? I'm going through some SMF and synchro issues myself. My shop says the 1st gear synchro failed as a result of a failing bearing in the transmission, which allowed extra play. I'm hesitant on the situation, as I'm know reading all of these other people with SMF/synchro issues. I too am thinking about a swap back to a DMF

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a hard time believing a bearing failed and caused a failed synchro... especially if you're already running an SMF. The 02M synchros are a confirmed non-fitment in this PFN 02Q. I've gone back to a DMF at this point. The Sachs DMF is a lot beefier looking than the stock Luk version for what it's worth.

I was missing more than just 2nd gear synchro ears, 1st gear was only holding on by one of the three ears.

TDI
'15 GSW tdi
I have a hard time believing a bearing failed and caused a failed synchro... especially if you're already running an SMF. The 02M synchros are a confirmed non-fitment in this PFN 02Q. I've gone back to a DMF at this point. The Sachs DMF is a lot beefier looking than the stock Luk version for what it's worth.

I was missing more than just 2nd gear synchro ears, 1st gear was only holding on by one of the three ears.

PM sent.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
How are the crankshaft harmonics getting transfered to the synchros, when technically the flywheel (smf or dmf) and clutch should already be fully disengaged prior to putting pressure on the fork collar, therefore applying pressure to synchro to begin synchronization for the input shaft and gear engagement?

TDI
'15 GSW tdi
How are the crankshaft harmonics getting transfered to the synchros, when technically the flywheel (smf or dmf) and clutch should already be fully disengaged prior to putting pressure on the fork collar, therefore applying pressure to synchro to begin synchronization for the input shaft and gear engagement?

This is exactly what I don’t understand either. Everyone I speak to who owns a shop says a SMF will cause noise and vibration, but that it can’t/won’t cause internal transmission damage