Are these issues related?

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
The car is noisy. Has been since I bought it 2 years ago.
I have ruled out wheel bearings[new] and tires[summers or snow no difference]. The exhaust system appears intact but I will do a more thorough inspection.
Heat output is poor, part of which is likely a result of blend doors not sealing well [my bad].
Heater core was replaced last year and system bled but heat has always been poor. New stat and cts intalled.
For a number of months I have been smelling diesel when standing outside the car , but there are no obvious fuel leaks either under the hood or the car and FE is unchanged.
Just recently I started smelling diesel exhaust in the cabin when the heat is on.
And this morning the low coolant warning went on and the reservoir was below minimum again no obvious leaks. It took maybe 6 oz of coolant to top up as the prongs were exposed.
This car has an EGR delete.
Any connections?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I believe you have two separate issues.

Fwiw.....check your flex pipe, I'll bet it's cracked and you'll,see black soot there.
As far as the coolant leak check and see where it was bypassed and all connections on the back side of engine......I have 3 that have egr deletes....each one had a leak where something had rubbed through the hose.
Also see if where the coolant flange is arrached to the side of the head, whether auto or manual , and check to,see if o ring is leaking, mine tended to leak when cold then seal up when hot.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Probably not with the exhaust.....could still be flex pipe.

Not sure if there is a coolant flange like the Alh on a pd.

Fuel ....... No idea, does it happen all the time or when starting?

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
Probably not with the exhaust.....could still be flex pipe.

Not sure if there is a coolant flange like the Alh on a pd.

Fuel ....... No idea, does it happen all the time or when starting?
Where is the coolant flange located on an ALH?
The odor is always present when I get out of the car after a drive and lingers when it is sitting:confused:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
How did you delete the EGR? My PD takes a while to get warm but when warm, the heater is bloody hot. Its probably around minus 10-15 deg c without the windchill right now, no heat pump or winter front installed.

I bet your flex pipe is leaking.

Wagon? Wagon's are noiser, they don't have the trunk blocked out like the Sedan's, I noticed the difference right away after getting rid of my sedan for a wagon. I am going to insulate the inside in the spring to knock some noise down and do the doors.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
How did you delete the EGR? My PD takes a while to get warm but when warm, the heater is bloody hot. Its probably around minus 10-15 deg c without the windchill right now, no heat pump or winter front installed.

I bet your flex pipe is leaking.

Wagon? Wagon's are noiser, they don't have the trunk blocked out like the Sedan's, I noticed the difference right away after getting rid of my sedan for a wagon. I am going to insulate the inside in the spring to knock some noise down and do the doors.
The delete was done before I bought the car, so I don't know what exactly was done.
The car does gets up to operating temp more quickly than my ALH's though the cabin heat does not; it only gets warm.
I will be checking the flex when the weather calms down here, snow yesterday. rain today with subfreezing temps on the way!!
It is a wagon but my 02 wagon is much quieter.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
On the Alh the coolant is on the right side of eng as you are facing it, under the vac pump.
Again not sure about the PD engine.

Somewhere you have a small fuel leak to be smelling that after shut down and lingering.

Wish I could be more help.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
The delete was done before I bought the car, so I don't know what exactly was done.
The car does gets up to operating temp more quickly than my ALH's though the cabin heat does not; it only gets warm.
I will be checking the flex when the weather calms down here, snow yesterday. rain today with subfreezing temps on the way!!
It is a wagon but my 02 wagon is much quieter.

I'd backflush the heater core but first, see how they did the delete. If they left the egr cooler hooked up with coolant lines, that would cause the lower heat output, did on mine.

Weird, I have 2 ALH's and they kill my PD for getting up to temp, way faster.

Maybe 02's had better insulation? My wife's 03 with a 3" exhaust is quieter than my 04 PD.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
I'd backflush the heater core but first, see how they did the delete. If they left the egr cooler hooked up with coolant lines, that would cause the lower heat output, did on mine.
Weird, I have 2 ALH's and they kill my PD for getting up to temp, way faster.
Maybe 02's had better insulation? My wife's 03 with a 3" exhaust is quieter than my 04 PD.
The heater core is new.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
The car is in the shop warming up.:)
Definitely losing coolant, as two days after I topped up the reservoir, it is below the prongs again:eek:
Does this sound like a leaking EGR cooler, and if it is what are my options?
Is it the same cooler as an ALH?

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not the same. I guess they left the heater hoses hooked up to the cooler? If so, bypass with a 90 deg connector.

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
formerly:Passat, 96, white and 10 Jetta, white gold
Check the coolant hoses that are under the fuel pump. Sometimes you can have a very small fuel leak from the pump that drips onto the hoses, makes them soft and then they start to leak. It isn't always obvious.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
found the coolant leak

It is the hose that runs under the tandem pump and tees into the hoses that attach to the metal coolant lines in front and is plugged into the engine just behind the TP.
Is this a VW formed hose as it loops around or can I use regular rubber hose?
No smell of fuel in that area with the engine off.

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
formerly:Passat, 96, white and 10 Jetta, white gold
I am not entirely familiar with you car's set-up, but I assumed it was somewhat similar to a B4. Any rubber hoses that run beneath fuel system components could be subjected to this if the fuel system leaks in that area.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
With EGR delete and the cooler gone, Is this hose modified to fit or is it just reconnected when the cooler is removed?
This VW part#1J0122447ER shows all the hoses that make up the set, but only the one below the TP is leaking.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
I pulled the same hose off my parts ALH and it fits fine. Hopefully that was the coolant leak.:eek:
Still don't see any fuel leak.:mad:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
With EGR delete and the cooler gone, Is this hose modified to fit or is it just reconnected when the cooler is removed?
This VW part#1J0122447ER shows all the hoses that make up the set, but only the one below the TP is leaking.
Already told you, 90 deg elbow to connect the cooler hoses together.