Mercedes E250 Bluetec

What interests you about this thread?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
So if not based on cone test, "feel" is subjective, his may not be mine. And it's the new E Class, which hopefully hasn't radically screwed up the steering, which I really doubt.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Truthfully, Mercedes have never been known to have good steering feel. "Remote" or "numb" are usually descriptors. That was always a criticism of Mercedes compared to BMW.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
When there's a 4 cyl diesel Bimer I'll test drive it again. The 6 cyl 335d has understeer. Talk about bad feel. I don't think "balancing" is a good idea when it's better to not put the engine in front of the axle to begin with.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Too small for my needs. I'll test drive the Bimers again next time. Also the BMW failed on IIHS small offset crash test, a deal breaker for me.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Best Handling Full Size Diesel Sedan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9tYgykD4R0
Motor Week's track tests of the E250 Bluetec shows the big sedan scooting around the cones like a cat, an astonishing sight that all but sold me on the car. They went on and on praising the handling as tight etc., but like almost every review, they just had to stick in a dig, they said the steering was "rubbery". Wha? I think the car turns 90 degrees on wet road with out skidding. I can not imagine better steering. So what they mean I don't have a clue. Cones start at 2:30 in.

The E250 is unique in that it the only full size diesel sedan with rear wheel drive (no torque steer) and 4 cylinders (no understeer) so it has by far the best steering/handling of any large diesel sedan out there. It doesn't matter whether BMW has more sporty sports cars, Mercedes has the best handling large diesel sedan because of the above reasons and not the meaningless putdowns of car reviewers. If you want the best handling of a big sedan, that'd be the Cadillac gasser, but for diesel, the E250.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
I had an "Auxiliary Battery Malfunction" message. There's a second battery for the Eco start/stop, so Eco was disabled. Dealer replaced it.

I also realized I didn't get Gap coverage.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Edmunds E Class 2016 Review

Edmunds E Class 2016 Review:

"Driving Impressions

The 2016 Mercedes-Benz E-Class may lack the nimble character of, say, an Audi A6, but it compensates with an exceptionally absorbent suspension (E63 AMG S aside) that's nonetheless taut and controlled, too. There's a distinctive sense of solidity here that has long been a Mercedes trademark, yet the 2016 E-Class is also a very capable handler by the numbers. In any form, it's a special car to drive. The only real downside is the growing collection of electronic driver aids, which certainly mean well but have the potential to interfere with your enjoyment. Fortunately, some can be turned off if you find them overly intrusive."

Edmunds seems to be the only major reviewer that doesn't feel compelled to stick in a meaningless dig like "rubbery feel". The car handles great. They are comparing apples to oranges here, gasser or diesel, which Audi do they mean? They aren't comparing a diesel to a diesel. If they were, they'd see the.Mercedes handles better.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Mpg

My car is calculating 31.8 mpg with my estimated 80/20 city/highway. I changed my run-flats to Primacy's so I don't know if that affected the car's calculations. The EPA is 28/42. I carry a full size spare. City is stop and go, highway can be 80 mph often. Hilly here.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Pulled the trigger, Harmon Kardon, LED lighting, premium 2 package, fully loaded 4-Matic E250 Bluetec and Sport package with Panorama roof:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Gorgeous car. And wait until you really get to experience the magic carpet. Congratulations and I'm looking forward to hearing about your impressions. If you've been reading this thread you know I couldn't be more satisfied.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I sold my 2006 TDI today to CarCash for $2,000. Had 190,000 miles on it...in good condition, garaged, well maintained. Advertised in Craig's list, local guru put it on his facebook page.. Know how many people want a car, regardless of condition, with 190,000 miles on it? zero.
wow. that is just dismal. They gave you the trade in value. The sell to a private party according to KBB is in good condition package 1 is $3124.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
A couple of really nice things about this car:

The mirrors, they have no glare at night automatically

The roominess, I'm not a small man, but I'm sitting next to the center console a mile from the door.

The tranny, paddle shifting is getting as good as manual, I am down or upshifting in advance, which isn't that noticeable until I brake or throttle, then it's like I manually shifted just then.

The vaunted suspension, so true, it magically shrinks the road holes and sumps, which is confidence at speed.

The car is clean diesel. Above 55 degrees, it is a monunental acheivement. I predict the 2018 will fix the below 55 degree smog overage, physics allowing.

Interior: sharp without a whiff of excess.

Of course there's everything else I've been writing about here since last August.

Downsides: full size spare in trunk cuts down suitcase room, I still am baffled by the Navi, AC is barely up to it, phone dial by name is fecal.

Grade: A+. 2015s will be going off lease this August and will be in the low 40s and 30s. As of 10k miles, I fully recommend this car.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Used 2015 E250 BT are out there.

Quick search on car gurus shows a few 2015 e250BT with about 10k miles going for 40 to 45k. The 2015 or later is the car to get. The 14s weren't all there yet in major ways. There's a few in Henderson, NV just outside of Vegas.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Pulled the trigger, Harmon Kardon, LED lighting, premium 2 package, fully loaded 4-Matic E250 Bluetec and Sport package with Panorama roof:

How's the new car?

2017 E300 are here:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiCmdKF9o7NAhVC8GMKHe1iDhAQFggwMAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.motortrend.com%2Fnews%2F2017-mercedes-benz-e300-first-drive-review%2F&usg=AFQjCNHaN8YU1yAw_687xDe5mMilkE-2Ww&sig2=CCSYpq6-Lc6VErK50_CKDg

No diesel until 2018 (we hope) but it has a 4cyl gasser. For the diesel, I think they are trying to make it clean of smog below 55 degrees. I guess they are afraid of being sued by every diesel buyer and are cutting us off for this year at least.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 E Class.

Pros: Improved suspension, 9 speed transmission, more e-driving, wider wheel base, lighter stronger unibody, new cleaner 2018 diesel

Cons: Not crazy about round HVAC ports, a coupe-like sloped roof (worse visibility?). boring looks, less rear room.

I'll test drive the 2017/18 but don't feel any urge right now to jump on the first diesel that appears.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I buy cars so I can drive them, not so they can drive for me. Paying for technology I don't like and won't use seems pointless. Besides, no diesel in '17.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
My 15 e-driving features such as forward collision prevention were standard, not extra charge, and are a welcome friend behind the wheel. I am very keyed into keeping my eyes on the road, but if I mess up for that wrong second, I get a beep and even some or total breaking if it gets that bad. In 16/17 the less important e-driving is an optional package, you can pass on it. In 16/17, a "Driver Assistance Package" was added but the standard e-driving on the 15 was still standard, you'll get the clearly desirable e-driving features such as forward collision avoidance standard, and the less important ones such as auto-parking are optional. Some of these standard e-driving capabilities are soon to be mandatory safety equipment on all cars not just Mercedes such as seat belts are, they make sense. In 17, I'm hearing some optional weird sounding auto steering that I'd need to know more about and maybe have the option to disable or not buy at all.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
I need to wash my eyes after I drive. I drive with my sun or moon roof open and the back windows down some. It could be just the air here, or other car's exhaust. Or maybe my car is making some fume. I read that the newer TDIs were giving off a slight fume from their turbos. Maybe something like that is gong on. It's my 10k service coming up and I'll check. My car was hit by an explosion of a concrete mixer and showered inside by soot and ash from it. Maybe some of that is still blowing around. Time for another detail I guess. It's a slight irritation that is mostly fixed by a fast warm soak.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
10K Service:
MB SAE 5w-30 MB 229.52 oil
No leaking found (re: eye irritation after driving) MB may have some fume going on they forgot to remember to forget to tell us. Leaking Adblue or turbo squirts or such.
Broken sun visor will be replaced next week and tires rotated (I had to ask them to rotate).

New bead mat technique: I move it to the side so it doesn't cover the middle side of the seat (and hangs over between the door). So when I sit I slide to the inner side of the seat. The throttle peddle is right against the center post so I sit straight behind it so my two feet are straight behind the brake and the throttle (I use a foot for each peddle). That also sits me straight behind the wheel and away from the door. Elbow can lean on the post. I am currently sitting low with the back straight. I can also sit high even though it puts my had near the roof. The suspension works so well I have yet to get bumped up.

The 2017 E300 (gasser) was at the dealer but I didn't have time to test drive it. Maybe next week. My loaner was the 2017 GLC SUV, which felt like rubber crutches, not an SUV fan.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
The E250BT is a clean diesel car as long as it is driven above 55 degrees. I live in Southern California so that's pretty much the norm. For all the bad press Mercedes got, their car 100% meets CARB here. As for colder climes, it turns out, I guess they don't. They are serious about fixing that for 2018 and I hope physics allows them to. MB didn't cheat on tests, the tests were inadequate to find the flaw.

tdisedanman

Veteran Member
TDI
Ex 2005 Passat, TDI and ex 2005.5 Jetta TDI
I buy cars so I can drive them, not so they can drive for me. Paying for technology I don't like and won't use seems pointless. Besides, no diesel in '17.
And wait until one of those avoidance systems break out of warranty...oh boy. I have a 2011 E350 bluetec with non of the newer safety features. The 60k service is 1365.00...can you imagine having to replace your forward looking radar for crash avoidance or cruise control?

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
I think the crash avoidance radar is excellent and will be standard equipment on all cars in a few years. So it's worth repairing if it breaks, and nobody knows how durable it is yet. I prepaid my maintenance and bought an extended warranty. I put 10k on my car in 10 months and am not worried about what may happen 90 or 140 months from now since by then I probably will have traded in for the 2018 or later diesel incarnation of the 2017 generation or maybe even the next. So far, nothing has gone on the car except my auxiliary battery which was nothing.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
And wait until one of those avoidance systems break out of warranty...oh boy. I have a 2011 E350 bluetec with non of the newer safety features. The 60k service is 1365.00...can you imagine having to replace your forward looking radar for crash avoidance or cruise control?
This is why resale on luxury cars is so low. Look at what you can buy a 5 year old S-Class or Audi A8 for these days. They're only worth a fraction of their MSRP because people are terrified of having to pay out of pocket for repairs.

The E-Class is a nice car, but the cost per mile is higher than I'd be comfortable with as a daily driver. I drive my TDI about 23K miles a year, have since it was new in '02. And I've always owned at least one other car. Maintaining a Mercedes would be cost-prohibitive with use at that rate.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
I think the crash avoidance radar is excellent and will be standard equipment on all cars in a few years. So it's worth repairing if it breaks, and nobody knows how durable it is yet. I prepaid my maintenance and bought an extended warranty. I put 10k on my car in 10 months and am not worried about what may happen 90 or 140 months from now since by then I probably will have traded in for the 2018 or later diesel incarnation of the 2017 generation or maybe even the next. So far, nothing has gone on the car except my auxiliary battery which was nothing.
Since you drive your car very little, I'm curious what your reason was for getting a diesel?

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
I'd need pages to answer that. Bullet points are power, durability, clean, ease of use, safety, handling. Have you test driven an E250BT? You'll know why when you do. Here's one reason I do: My Navi sucks. I get lost sometimes. I was nearly robbed at urban gas stations twice. I am very relieved I don't have to be worrying on my gas gauge much. Even my city mileage is 32mpg with a 20g tank that's over 600 miles on a tank around town. Plenty of time to remind myself to gas up when it's convenient. Gas cars with that kind of mileage are too recent to have proven reliability. The latest E250BT is 4cyl and may turn out to be highly durable, economical and maintain it's value. We don't need no stinking 6cyl with biturbos.

Last edited:

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Bullet points are power, durability, clean, ease of use, safety, handling. Have you test driven an E250BT? .
Yes.. I'm looking for either a low mileage E350BT or E250BT, I've test driven both now.

Durability? doesn't sound like you keep your cars long nor put a lot of miles on.

Safety and Handling? youll get that with the gasoline version as well.

Clean? Gasoline engines run just as clean if not cleaner.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just wondering how a diesel benefits you over a gasoline car when with the gasoline version youde have more power.