How to pull out all the trunk linings (sides, especially)...?

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Greetings all -

A while back I asked this question, but I've lost the thread....

I want to pull out the side lining in the trunk to install soundproofing, but there appears to be no way to do it that is obvious. I fear that just pulling hard will break things.

I'm talking about the lining the goes from the taillight, past the CD changer mount on the left side, that covers the wheel well. I want to completely remove it all without breaking any clips.

The problem is there is nothing over at the 'Tex and nothing else on the 'net that explains where any clips or screws might be, and thorough inspection reveals no handy screws and etc. that hold it all in.

Thanks for any advice/instructions you can give!

Jud.

NHgranite

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat CKRA
I did the same thing this past winter to install sound dampening.

You'll need to remove the left & right tie-down strap points. Then look for and remove the plastic plugs that are around the top edge of each side piece. Remove the floor board and then lastly, the rear plastic cover in the center (toughest part).

Once that is all done, then you can pull the interior parts out. You'll need to bend them a little bit.

BTW, this is a great time to also layout your power, ground, remote wires & 3 sets RCAcables.

Extra tip: run an extra pair of speaker wires to the front doors just in case you decide to go "active".

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Thanks!

Great idea on the power, ground and remote wires/cables, etc. I have no plans to install a stereo right now - that is perhaps a few years out. But the idea of running them now makes sense since everything will be disassembled.