800 Mile Club

DavidG

Veteran Member
TDI
None now
I figured that I would start this one because it the net step for me.

800 has to be doable ( although I would have not thought that a few months ago).

The tank I'm on now, might be able, but I think it will just be high 7's. I was at 470 miles at the half tank mark. The MFD (corrected) has it finishing around 800, but I know it always drops off fast closer to the end of the tank. The MPG reading is about 52 indicated. The last tank I ran just made 50 MPG and the MFD read 48.4, so it is low by about 3%.

15 gallons at 53.4 MPGs yield 801 mile. But the most I've put in, is under 15 gallons:mad: .

There has to be people out there that have made it.
Who is in the 800 Mile club??

lvleph

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta Reflexive Silver PKG0
I will be taking a road trip next week. The only problem is that it is only 540 miles one way, so I doubt I will make it.

whitelite777

Veteran Member
Seems to me the only way to make it is
1. A road trip of at least 800+ miles (all highway, no city)
2. A constant speed, say 60 mph.
3. A very level road most of the way.
4. No weather problems, i.e. no high winds, rain or snow.
5. No extra weight in the vehicle (luggage or passengers)
6. Tires pumped to the max.
7. No winter fuel, best fuel possible
8. Elf 506.01
9. Engine mostly broken in, no low milage cars.

Yep---that should do it.:D

snokid

TDI
jetta 2006 black
whitelite777 said:
8. Elf 506.01

look at my post here http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=133411

1. I drive 100 miles one way to work 95% city
2. cruise set at 75 mph.
3. road changes about 100 feet a few times.
4. warmer weather is a must and like you said no rain or wind.
5. I still have my pop stored in the refrigerator oops I mean the trunk.
6. 40 psi
7. not sure if they switched here in michigan yet. always flying j's .10 cheaper than back home in the motorcity....
8. last oil change 5000 ago was with good ole dealer oil 505.01 castrol
9. I think I have that one covered.

the problem I have is the I'm too cheap to pay the extra .10 a gallon back home so if I can't make the round trip I fill up. but I will try to make the 800 mile mark soon. and I won't let the cruise go to a snails pace to do it either.

Bob

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
whitelite777 said:
8. Elf 506.01

I should be able to test this next Saturday. I have to drive from Round Rock, Texas near Austin to Ft. Stockton. One quick stop there and back. Right around 800 miles and all interstate. I will set the cruise at 2100 rpm and let her run. I think I read here that is the most efficient rpm to cruise at. Should be a pretty level drive and excellent weater forecast. I will be traveling alone with an empty car. Tires inflated to max and Shell premium diesel with 8 oz Perf. Formula. Still have dealer 5000 mile oil change of Castrol 505.01 at 9100 miles or so. Switching to Elf 505.01 on my return. Maybe I should do a video like that "bloke" did on the other side of the pond. I will be carrying 2 gallons extra with me to immeadiately stop and fuel if I run out. Maybe a poll of "Will he make it?" is in order. :)

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Another huge advantage would be traveling from west to east and using the gulfstream, I KNOW that if I took a road trip, I can bust 800MPT, I am doing over 700 MPT on every tank now for the past 12 tanks...I get at least 45mpg, up to 49mpg, everyday driving.

lvleph

Veteran Member
TDI
But what is you city/hwy %. Currently I am at 450 miles with a little over 1/4 tank left. That should put me at 600 MPT. But I have 80+% city on this tank. Now 600 MPT with 80+% city is impressive. Once, I fill up I will post about this tank, since it was an experiment.

lvleph

Veteran Member
TDI
snokid said:
look at my post here http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=133411

1. I drive 100 miles one way to work 95% city
2. cruise set at 75 mph.
3. road changes about 100 feet a few times.
4. warmer weather is a must and like you said no rain or wind.
5. I still have my pop stored in the refrigerator oops I mean the trunk.
6. 40 psi
7. not sure if they switched here in michigan yet. always flying j's .10 cheaper than back home in the motorcity....
8. last oil change 5000 ago was with good ole dealer oil 505.01 castrol
9. I think I have that one covered.

the problem I have is the I'm too cheap to pay the extra .10 a gallon back home so if I can't make the round trip I fill up. but I will try to make the 800 mile mark soon. and I won't let the cruise go to a snails pace to do it either.

Bob
Wait you are driving a 100 mi trip one way and it is 95% city? Where do you live? I live in a city of almost 2 million and I would have to drive around site seeing to accomplish that. I suppose if one lives somewhere like LA it is doable.

Mach1

TDI
Mine is about 75% highway..Austin Tx. 2 million people...

lvleph

Veteran Member
TDI
Mach1 said:
Mine is about 75% highway..Austin Tx. 2 million people...
yeah but you didn't say you were traveling 100 miles to work one way with 75% city. I am traveling a mere 4 miles one way with 85-95% city. The only reason I get any hwy is because sometimes I go out to REI which is 25 miles away or I go camping/hiking.

dieseldave2006

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 Jetta DSG, 06, sliver
This reminds me of the 800 mile trip that the guy on Top Gear did in a V8 diesel Audi.

dieseldave2006

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 Jetta DSG, 06, sliver
This reminds me of the 800 mile trip that the guy on Top Gear did in a V8 diesel Audi.

snokid

TDI
jetta 2006 black
lvleph said:
Wait you are driving a 100 mi trip one way and it is 95% city? Where do you live? I live in a city of almost 2 million and I would have to drive around site seeing to accomplish that. I suppose if one lives somewhere like LA it is doable.
opps

I meant 95% Hwy.

Yhea that would be pretty hard to get 800 miles out of a tank in the city.... esp at 75 mph.... Get out of the way old ladies!!!! :eek:

Bob

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I'm back and I did it. 806 miles on 15.1 gallons. I reprogrammed my computer using VagCom to change the adustment for the display to a value of 114. The display read 53.5 and calculated pen and paper is 53.37. Pretty darn close.

I drove from Round Rock, TX near Austin to Ft. Stockton, TX via San Antonio. All Interstate. IH 35 and over to IH10 and back. Rolling hills except the last 100 miles to and from Ft. Stockton.

99.9% Interstate and 2100 rpm and 62 mph the whole way. Never stopped except for 15 minutes or so in Ft. Stockton. Once on the interstate I never shifted again till Ft. Stockton

lvleph

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, it looks like I could have made it (or may still make it). I am currently at 560mi with a little over a 1/4 tank left. If I don't do any city driving it may be possible to hit 800, but I am sure I will get 700.

Mach1

TDI
I guessed that oil helped as well? Congrats Dave...You have the recipe now.

lvleph

Veteran Member
TDI
Lightflyer1 said:
You will probably get 700. I had 500 miles on 1/2 and 750 on 1/4.
Wow, your mileage dropped off a lot at the end. When I got my 700 mile tank I was at 400 miles at a 1/2 tank. This tank I was at 450 or something. I have been able to get 200 miles out of the last 1/4 tank before, but it looks as though I will need 250, and I am pretty sure I probably won't be able to do that.

I have figured out a general rule of thumb that works for me, that is it works for the way I fill up. At half a tank one can figure out their mileage by the rule of thumb, for every 50 miles one adds 6MPG to their fuel economy. So if one has 300miles at a half tank that would be six 50 mile intervals which would result in 36MPG. I figured this out because I have pkg 0 and I am impatient. I am generally only off by a small amount, like +-1MPG.

It seems that one needs about 52.5 MPG to get 800MPT (that would be 15.25 Gal). This would mean I would have to have 437 miles at 1/2 a tank. So it looks like I would have made it if I could have kept driving. Oh well, I will just have to try again some other time.

I drove 70+mi city on this tank, so I bet I could have done it if I could drive all freeway. My average speed on the highway was 70MPH. I think I may drive to the Grand Canyon tomorrow just to find out how close I can come.

Last edited:

DavidG

Veteran Member
TDI
None now
Lightflyer1 said:
I'm back and I did it. 806 miles on 15.1 gallons. I reprogrammed my computer using VagCom to change the adustment for the display to a value of 114. The display read 53.5 and calculated pen and paper is 53.37. Pretty darn close.

I drove from Round Rock, TX near Austin to Ft. Stockton, TX via San Antonio. All Interstate. IH 35 and over to IH10 and back. Rolling hills except the last 100 miles to and from Ft. Stockton.

99.9% Interstate and 2100 rpm and 62 mph the whole way. Never stopped except for 15 minutes or so in Ft. Stockton. Once on the interstate I never shifted again till Ft. Stockton
Way to go! Is this your best MPG yet?

DavidG

Veteran Member
TDI
None now
Mach1 said:
I guessed that oil helped as well? Congrats Dave...You have the recipe now.
I just ordered some ELF. Maybe that will push me over the top.
In 2 weeks I'm taking the family to Virginia. We'll see if a long ride will help too.

lawallac

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Count me in at 800.2 miles. That was with a vent. It was half at 420. Fuel light at 751. Geeze that was easy. I'd go for 900 if I could carry some spare fuel in the trunk. Any one know what damage can occur if it runs out.
This

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
We are doing this in the A5 Jetta though. You show to have a 2002. We can't vent and only have 14.5 gallons to play with (according to the manual). How much fuel did you use?

fixer

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5/Jetta/5M/Reflex Silver
I am getting closer and closer, last tank was 765 on 14.725 and the one before that was 712 on 14.496. Steady cruise at ~61 MPH yields great mileage on my car. Next week I have the opportunity with a trip to VA. Tire pressure is ~38 PSI and I do not use additives, oil is Castrol 505.01, fuel of choice is Hess.

scythefwd

Veteran Member
TDI
99 beetle GLS TDI
I should be there on this tank, I have 740 and i am above 1/4 tank still. I cheat though, I vented. My fuel light comes on at 14.5 gallons used though, I might be able to make it to 800 by the time the light comes one. If not, I will be before I hit 15 gallons for sure. This is in a 99 NB though, Ill post mileage and gallons tomarrow.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
scythefwd said:
I should be there on this tank, I have 740 and i am above 1/4 tank still. I cheat though, I vented. My fuel light comes on at 14.5 gallons used though, I might be able to make it to 800 by the time the light comes one. If not, I will be before I hit 15 gallons for sure. This is in a 99 NB though, Ill post mileage and gallons tomarrow.
This is for the A5 model cars. Is this what you are driving? Your 99 NB doesn't count in this thread.