Help: What is the bilstein hd strut# for my mk3?

passatforbus

Veteran Member
TDI
97 jetta tdi 244k stage 2 Malone Bosch injectors, 98 jetta tdi 240k injectors.
Please help,kerma, idparts, are not listing bilstein hd struts for this model any more. What is the part/model number for this strut? So I can buy it elsware.
I've done some searching And found various numbers but nothing for certain.
Also, if I could get my hands on some koni reds that would be better. but I can't find them ither.
Thanks guys

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Most recent it looks like this is the number for the Bilstein B8:

BIL-24-015295 - rear

For the front it looks like two possible numbers:

BIL-35-043928
BIL-35-043966

What the difference is for the front I cannot say. These numbers came from AJUSA.com, their online site has changed since I last viewed it, the specs are not shown anymore on the listing page, which gets a big thumbs down from me.

Steve

Edit: AJUSA says the ...966 number for front is for 'base axle' which doesn't really say a whole lot in this case. It could mean that that it's for cars that used the older style upper mounting perhaps? I don't really see any other differentiation in the Mk3. These part numbers were 97/98 Mk3 TDI cars so there should be no confusion about the Plus suspension on the GLX etc.

Last edited:

passatforbus

Veteran Member
TDI
BIL-35-043928
BIL-35-043966

these look like Sport struts. not HD's
im running into multiple numbers for the HD's and they say they all fit.

35-043911
35-043959
35-181590

so i think im getting somewhere. pretty sure i want B6

passatforbus

Veteran Member
TDI
ok i bought the 35-043911 from urotuning. good price too.
along with all the fixings.
ill let you know how it goes.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I was under the impression that the B8 series was HD, There's B4, then B6 (sport) and B8 (HD).

Bilstein lists the B4 as OE replacement, the B6 as performance and the B8 as performance plus. The B8 used to be noted in their literature as the HD.

Personally I wouldn't use anything harsher than the B6 on a Jetta, the car doesn't weigh all that much and I'd be afraid that the ride would be very rough. In fact I probably wouldn't use anything more than the B6 on Passat, at least on the front. On the rear I would consider something more, especially on the wagons.

Steve

EDIT: the numbers I gave you were B8, the most HD struts they offer for that chassis

Last edited:

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
I was under the impression that the B8 series was HD, There's B4, then B6 (sport) and B8 (HD).

Bilstein lists the B4 as OE replacement, the B6 as performance and the B8 as performance plus. The B8 used to be noted in their literature as the HD.

Personally I wouldn't use anything harsher than the B6 on a Jetta, the car doesn't weigh all that much and I'd be afraid that the ride would be very rough. In fact I probably wouldn't use anything more than the B6 on Passat, at least on the front. On the rear I would consider something more, especially on the wagons.

Steve

EDIT: the numbers I gave you were B8, the most HD struts they offer for that chassis
Bilstein's terminology, old vs new:

Touring Class <=> B4
HD <=> B6 Performance
Sport <=> B8 Performance Plus

The B8 Performance Plus are for lowering springs. They are shorter with different valving than the B6's.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Bilstein's terminology, old vs new:

Touring Class <=> B4
HD <=> B6 Performance
Sport <=> B8 Performance Plus

The B8 Performance Plus are for lowering springs. They are shorter with different valving than the B6's.
Thanks for the clarification, I wonder why they do that new, it's very contrary to how they used to describe their products a decade ago. Then again maybe back then their HD were the B8. Some sites I think still list their HD as the B8 stuff, seems that Bilstein has been changing their part numbers more often than they used to.

Steve

passatforbus

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for all the info.
After reading what others have used, and not finding the reds any more. I read that people were adjusting the koni's allmost all the way up. And some stock replacements weren't lasting but a few years. Never read anyone replacing the hd's from worn out. Plus it's got to be better if it costs more right. And I don't know about y you guys but I load this poor girl down.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Thanks for all the info.
After reading what others have used, and not finding the reds any more. I read that people were adjusting the koni's allmost all the way up. And some stock replacements weren't lasting but a few years. Never read anyone replacing the hd's from worn out. Plus it's got to be better if it costs more right. And I don't know about y you guys but I load this poor girl down.
The Koni adjustment is for rebound only.

I had a leak on a B6 HD strut after 150,000 miles

passatforbus

Veteran Member
TDI
Well. Looks like I'm up against the wall. The 35-043911, is backordered everywhere I call. Euro tuning, ECS Tuning, Ida parts,
So I guess I have to go work something else. .
Any recommendations

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Well. Looks like I'm up against the wall. The 35-043911, is backordered everywhere I call. Euro tuning, ECS Tuning, Ida parts,
So I guess I have to go work something else. .
Any recommendations
Like i said before TIRERACK.COM. thats where i got mine, they are in stock. buy them, they are cheep, might be cheapest. in stock rears and special order fronts but they can get them for you.

Maybe try pelicanparts.com

passatforbus

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, checked the tire rack site, they don't list the b6 for mk3. I'll get up with them tomorrow.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Ok, checked the tire rack site, they don't list the b6 for mk3. I'll get up with them tomorrow.
im running the HD, and im more than happy with it and its very hard core in IMHO for keeping the car tight in a corner. Its a bit of a bumpy ride bot not worse than i have had before with most coilovers. That and prothayne bushings (they have never squeaked EVER, the car handles very well for autocross, about as good as you could get unless custom mounts where made to take a camber plate for a different setup. Thats not my level!. If your looking for ride comfort dont get them. On a 1-10 1 being welded solid suspension with no springs or shocks and 10 being a Porsche cayenne ride comport level, i would put them at a 3.5. If you had the 10 being stock suspension on a MKIII i would put it at a 5.5. Its not that bad honestly but compared to something that does not kill your back combined with the awful seats in an MKIII ( i added 1" of memory foam and it is great) your not going to be happy. If you want to take it to autocross of F about in the back hills and you want to have as much anti sway as possible go with the HD. the sport is a smaller diameter piston vs the HD.
Just my $0.02

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
My info may be dated, but last I remember the HDs had the same valving as the Sports. The only difference was, the Sports were shorter.

-Todd

passatforbus

Veteran Member
TDI
Great stuff. Thanks for the info.
Called builstein, they said backordered, wont have any out until feb.
Called tire rack. They said yes they can get them. I asked to check and then they stood 3-4 weeks out, they ship from factory. I toold them what bilstein said, they said I'd better go with that. .

Sooooo.
Anyone like the koni str-t's?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
so what is your intended reason for going past oem? are you driving like stolen? autocross? track days? just fun? daily? stance? or just want it a bit low and good enough. each of them have different range of build parts from springs, mounts, struts, camber plates or shims, sway bar, or coilovers, you could mix and match what you want to get the desired effect. tell us what you are going to do with the car and we can help you decide from that. otherwise just get some cheep decent stuff from rockauto.com if you just want it fixed and back to normal

alexsmith10

TDI
B7, A3
Great stuff. Thanks for the info.
Called builstein, they said backordered, wont have any out until feb.
Called tire rack. They said yes they can get them. I asked to check and then they stood 3-4 weeks out, they ship from factory. I toold them what bilstein said, they said I'd better go with that. .

Sooooo.
Anyone like the koni str-t's?

Koni STR-Ts are the worst strut/shock combination I've ever had on a VW. I had them on a MK3 Jetta GLX with stock springs and then with some Neuspeed lowering springs. Both rides were awful and the shocks leaked within a year. I don't drive on horrible roads or aim at potholes so I have no idea why they gave up the ghost so quickly.

Even fresh out of the box the ride quality seemed dismal compared to my B4 with Bilstein B6s.

passatforbus

Veteran Member
TDI
Daily driver, stock height. Rear sway bar and hd builsteins. Towing. Stage 2. 270,000mls.rebuilt motor. I won't replace any thing unless it's better than stock. Ever. On anything. Why refresh to stock? That's silly. We save so much money on fuel I've got to put it back into the car. My struts are still origional. Time to upgrade..
I think I'm going with the koni srt's. Not out much money if they don't last.
What do you think

passatforbus

Veteran Member
TDI
Just read that last one. ...

Guess I'll just wait for January

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the HD's are not going to be a good fit for you honestly. its a very stiff ride. great company, i would suggest you go with something less aggressive and sports. If your towing, put air ride on the rear's. there is no good solution to give you the ability to keep the back end up for towing unless you go with bigger springs. Why do you need rear sway bar? For a daily driver i dont see the need for it or anything serious like HD's or plus sports. I think your going to hate the ride comfort but love the handling you get but your going to be daily driving this and i dont think your going to drive it 9/10ths any time so forget it.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you ever get up my way, hit me up and take my smoke machine out for a spin and you will understand what im talking about. I have the HD's. Maybe you might pass by close enough this winter or find someone in your area.

passatforbus

Veteran Member
TDI
So the strut change was a piece of cake. .did it twice, due to putting the polly bushings on upside-down. Got the koni str-t's. I'll use thease until they get bilsteins in Stock.
Problem- the poly strut bushings are WAY taller than stock. I like the lift but now I need to bring the back up. Looking for a rubber spacer for the rear spring. Exited about not hitting the hitch backing out the driveway.

Haven't driven it yet. Found a crunchy power steering pump, waiting for the replacement.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
YEA i had the same issues with the rear cap bushings. i just took a grinder to the cup shaped cap so i could get the wrench in it and flipped it upside down.

passatforbus

Veteran Member
TDI
The new ps pump is in. A couple spring spacers in the rear to level it out. .
Seems firmer in the front than stock. Not too hard. The old struts had no spring to them at all. Cornering is nice. As a DD I like it like this. If thease koni's only last a year I'll replace them with the builsteins then.
Thanks for everyone's help.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Problem- the poly strut bushings are WAY taller than stock.

Curious how these will hold up. I'm running the HD mounts and they appear to be wearing out and I put very little mileage on my cars.

What brand did you go with?

-Todd

passatforbus

Veteran Member
TDI
I bought powerflex purple ones.
They appear super tough..I don't forsee them ever warring out. Although the 2 bushings cost about as much as the koni pair of struts. $80ish. I can report higher road noise, those rumble strips on the centre line scared the crap out of me the first time I hit them with the new bushings.
I agree, the stock rubber ones will need changing every few years. But it is only $20ish. And an easy change on thease mk3's.