1997 B4V 1Z Grocery Getter Build

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
Don't nock the iPhone, nock the people behind them who don't know how to use them. The dyno videos that several of us recorded for a few GTG's down here were mostly done on iPhone. Mine turned out a bit better than others though.

Jeremy, when I have the equipment to mount my 7D in and outside the car, we'll do some more vids. The video is naturally soft and I'm still working out on some technical details of packaging it after processing.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
Ya I know the iPhone can take pretty decent video, but I take every chance I get to make fun of Apple:p.. My DroidX doesn't really take any better video than a 4s, but I know how to use it LOL..

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
I catered a dyno day on Mother's day (horrible car guys!) at the local FSR Motorsports shop for a BMW site. They ran out of m powered and supercharged monsters, so they threw me up on the dyno. You can see my catering equipment in the back as we dyno'd. I wasn't planning on it, so I didn't have vag com, or a vid camera with me. Impromptu dyno! At least the datalogger was there.

Boostvalve
I was having trouble making a home made boost valve work for the longest time. We made a couple, bench tested them, and they would bleed at partial/midway boost. Causing some extra lag. So I gave up on them. I got a real boostvalve in, and it seems to be doing it's job now. I didn't think the homemade would be a problem, but it seems there is a seat cut for the bearing that I we didn't account for. I had even bench tested another members boost valve a while back and it was acting funny too. I'll need to take real logs to prove it that spec and actual are meeting correctly.

Dynojet
I had to get a dyno run in here since its been the main dyno we've been using. Lower than I expected, but I guess that Mustang and this Dynojet are pretty close. The WCF that was a concern about wasn't really that off.

First two runs, the valve was clipping it too early, and causing the boost to go a bit funky as it was underboosting then correcting.
#3 run is the good run that the boost valve held 32psi all the way through.

IAT hit max maybe 120*F
EMP was 1:1, got to 40PSI by 5000rpm
Smoke is a bit darker then some other runs I've had, but I think theres some relation to the reset timing (regular advance timing) we had on there. My phone's video ate it.

dynorun #1

dynorun #2

dynorun #3 203whp/320ft-lbs

all runs

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Jeremy,
That's nice work!

I'd like to see the car in person! One of these days, we'll meet up.

Great numbers, even for an impromptu dyno run!

Tony

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Jfettig has some concerns about the flatness of the torque. We need to figure out if the boostvalve is messing with fueling and timing adversely.

I need a replacement vag com cable, mine went bust.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I Have some concerns about the flatness of the torque. Jeremy should figure out if the boostvalve is messing with fueling and timing adversely. ;)

I just think he can get more torque :D

Last edited:

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
guess its better for the package if the torque isnt as high but goes on longer, like trying not the let the power fall off after =)

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
Of course, as long as thats really what was happening on the dyno. Looking at the other dynos, the torque would hit and drop off like normal. Unless the boostvalve is cutting fueling/timing in a strange way, need the logs to tell.

No gains, but I wasn't really planning the dyno. Just happened.

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
Jfettig has some concerns about the flatness of the torque. We need to figure out if the boostvalve is messing with fueling and timing adversely.

I need a replacement vag com cable, mine went bust.

Even though I run a boost valve (set to 26 psi, on my 23psi tune), there are issues that come into play by the nature of our vacuum based system that slow spool with a boost valve.

Example: Let's say you are setting the boost valve at 32 psi, with max boost in tune at 30 psi.
Mid range, ECU calls for 50% duty cycle, let's say that is -14" H2O (-7 psi) to the actuator. The boost valve is set to 32 PSI, but is popping open at 32-7= 25psi because of the differential of pressure between the vacuum and the boost pressure, so the VNT is getting less vacuum than the ECU is demanding, causing slower spool.

But, if you are getting the same max boost in that range, I doubt the boost valve is changing your fueling because you are getting the same airflow.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Get rid of the boost valve IMO, if its a source of problems tuning it properly will be easier tham faffing around!!

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
Even though I run a boost valve (set to 26 psi, on my 23psi tune), there are issues that come into play by the nature of our vacuum based system that slow spool with a boost valve.

Example: Let's say you are setting the boost valve at 32 psi, with max boost in tune at 30 psi.
Mid range, ECU calls for 50% duty cycle, let's say that is -14" H2O (-7 psi) to the actuator. The boost valve is set to 32 PSI, but is popping open at 32-7= 25psi because of the differential of pressure between the vacuum and the boost pressure, so the VNT is getting less vacuum than the ECU is demanding, causing slower spool.

But, if you are getting the same max boost in that range, I doubt the boost valve is changing your fueling because you are getting the same airflow.

I never noticed a difference in spool with mine, or any others I've set up.. Once the turbo starts making decent boost, you won't get lag at 25psi.. Lag is the delay between when you hit it and when boost starts really ramping up.. Once you're up to 25 the rate of increase won't really slow down enough for you to notice.. What it DOES do is slightly reduce the ramp time as you get close your target boost so it doesn't go too far over.. I was able to set mine up so the boost gauge would snap up to 2psi over target and settle right on target..

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
I'm not gonna update till we get some things squared away.

That's us pulling the tranny, it's not back in yet. (Paul holding the weight, me lightly caressing it).

You guys are hilarious.

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
Spotted: Whitbread making house calls again! Man, he gets around!!!

BioChoppers

Vendor
TDI
2003 jetta 5spd wagon
Matt says what the **** happened to this drive flange?!

Better take this one outside...

You wanna take a swing at it play'a?

Weld it again Matt!

Haus takes a swing.

& weld it again Matt...

3rd x's the charm. My slide hammer is a dedicated custom flange remover now :cool:

Haus tries her in a different position..

Ding! we have a winner! Kooy's all WTHeck?

Last edited: