2.0 tdi knocking sound

dainelb3

TDI
PD130 MK4 Golf, PD130 A3 8L, CR170 A3 8P
Hi,

I have a 2010 CR170 with 155K miles on the clock. It has always been dealer serviced and had its last service roughly 9K miles ago with long life oil. A few times I have heard a light knocking sound accelerating but I could never reproduce it. I recently had to pull out of a blind junction up a hill and had accelerate harder than I normally would on a cold engine and it knocked quite loudly. I have since found that I can normally repeat the sound by accelerating in second gear before it has warmed up.

I just wondered if anyone has any similar experiences with their TDI or could suggest anything.

Thanks,
Dan

EDIT: Fluid levels are good and oil still looks fine.

Last edited:

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
So this only happens before the engine reaches temperature? I think I know the sound you are talking about, my in laws have a fairly steep driveway and when we stay with them I hate leaving on a cold morning because I have to climb that driveway and it makes the engine sound like my 2003 TDI (ok not quite that bad). I actually brought our block heater cord with us last winter to solve the problem lol.

5FDP

TDI
A3
When was the last time you did an injector cleaning. My 2011 A3 rattled / knocking sound a bit until I ran 2 bottles of diesel purge through the tank. After that it doesn't even rattle at idle just a gentle plug-plug-plug sound.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
I too get the not-warmed-up diesel knock. Probably some extra fuel to aid warm-up.