wierd noise after timing belt change

rim36

TDI
2003 jetta
hi i had my timing belt changed with water pump and all the idlers and tensioner. I supplyed the parts. now there is a noise the mecahic said it was a cheap timing belt that i got and its the belt but it should go away after a little while. Has anyone ever heard of a belt making a noise that will go away?????

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Find someone who knows what they are talking about and have them check the noise. Might be a tensioner, might be a slight misalignment somewhere.

Where'd you get the parts? If it is a supplier on this forum, it won't be a cheap belt.

rim36

TDI
2003 jetta
i got it at a parts store in toronto called friscos they only sell vw parts,the belt is a flennor made in germany.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
It shouldn't make noise. If it is making noise, don't drive it. It should only cost <$1k to redo the timing belt, vs >$2k if the belt, tensioner, water pump, roller, (anything else) cuts loose and ruins the head--or worse, the bottom end.

fossill

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
You do need a mechanic who is very familiar with TDI timing belts or a guru on here. I would be very choosy on who works on mine. These engines are just too costly to be taking chances.

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
Do you know if the cam pulley was removed during the job? It reads like improperly set tension. Pull the top timing belt cover and look at the tensioner. If it's bouncing around (watch the alignment marks), I would demand a refund for not following the tech data.

Sip'n Diesel

Veteran Newbie
San Joaquin Valley, I have VCDS (KII-USB)
TDI
2003 ALH: 254,000 miles
rim36 said:
hi i had my timing belt changed with water pump and all the idlers and tensioner. I supplyed the parts. now there is a noise the mecahic said it was a cheap timing belt that i got and its the belt but it should go away after a little while. Has anyone ever heard of a belt making a noise that will go away?????
if that's what he said, sounds like yer standard "cover your a$$" statements. the noise should go away after the engine gets blow'd up. please give your "mechanic" a swift kick in the junk... after getting the issue resolved, that is