DSG Maintenance and Buyback

dopechess

TDI
2013 A3
Hi,

I have a 2013 A3 with 43k miles as of today. I was hesitate about selling back because I mainly love how this car performs. However, after hearing about the settlement details. I think that the buy-back amount is fair and some might say generous. I would hate to keep the car and issues arise later on. Other negatives for me would be, that fixing a major issue in the future might be very expensive. I am sure there aren't that many TDI mechanics out there.

Anyways, enough of me ranting. My question is? Since i will be selling back. I am reluctant to spend any $$ on this, i rather use the 500.00 goodwill card on a few tires at the dealership. Should i do my DSG service? I will probably put on another 20k miles before turning it in. Will 65K miles before DSG service do any damage to the engine? You realize we got to turn our cars in running :).

Any advice appreciated..

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
To the engine? No - that said I just had an A3 owner in with about 80k on the clock. He hadn't done the DSG service, and the shifting was very funky. I would get it done if you're going over by that much...

dopechess

TDI
2013 A3
To the engine? No - that said I just had an A3 owner in with about 80k on the clock. He hadn't done the DSG service, and the shifting was very funky. I would get it done if you're going over by that much...
569.00 + tax at my local dealer. If it was like 200.00, i wouldn't mind doing it since i will drive 20k more miles. Is there any terms on the settlement that says we have to do THIS particular service? If i am not going to blow this engine up, and if safety isn't an issue. I think i don't want to speed that much on a car i won't be keeping. Certainly it might even be scrapped since VW can't sell them in US or export them.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
569.00 + tax at my local dealer. If it was like 200.00, i wouldn't mind doing it since i will drive 20k more miles. Is there any terms on the settlement that says we have to do THIS particular service? If i am not going to blow this engine up, and if safety isn't an issue. I think i don't want to speed that much on a car i won't be keeping. Certainly it might even be scrapped since VW can't sell them in US or export them.
Maybe buy the fluid and filter from a trusted vendor and change it yourself?

redblues

TDI
Audi A3, Mk6 Golf
The DSG uses a wet clutch, it would be best to get the service done. You can find an independent VW shop to perform the change if DIY is not an option, they'll charge about $300.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Im in the same boat as you.. My DSG service was due recently.. I plan on putting on another 35k miles before turning it in.

Im passing on it.

SS930

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI, 2015 A3 TDI
As wrong as this is, I also would say pass on it as I would say that odds are highly likely in your favor that the trans/car will still be drivable in 20k miles.

dopechess

TDI
2013 A3
So, i take it there isn't any special language in the settlement proposal that says anything about doing DSG or any major service ?

If my engine isn't going to blow up, i ain't gonna blow money on DSG service. And it seems like all the people suggesting to do so, either works for a dealership or is a mechanic.

foggedz

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
I'm in the same boat as you with my 2013 Jetta. I just went over 40K last week, and am due for the DSG service. I am not sure if I will get the car fixed yet or sell it back, so Im going to go ahead have have the service done. I still have my $500 VW service card, so I am going to pay for it with that. I told them they can remove the tire rotation, cabin filter change, and the total came to just under $500.

I agree that the buy back value is very good, but if they find a way to retain the same MPG, and provide an extended warranty on the car...... I will take the extra 6K drive the car until the warranty is up then sell it.

dopechess

TDI
2013 A3
i wanted to keep my TDI also, but with the uncertainty of VW diesel in North America. It's a real crap shoot as to what kind of continue support they will provide for their cars. Just not worth it to me.

You don't need new tires at 40k? or did you already replace those? thats where my 500 dealer card is going towards.

foggedz

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
No, my tires are fine. I have a set of 18in Passat wheels that I have on in the summer, and put on the stock wheels and tires on for the winter. I just prefer the dealership not touch the wheels since I pull them on and off myself 2 times a year.

I hear ya on the uncertainty with VW and these motors going forward. My deal breaker will be if the offer a good warranty on the cars after the work is done. I have my car almost paid off, and it is in mint condition. If I keep the car it would be equivalent or better than getting a certified used car, with no payment, 6k cash, and I could can sell the car once the warranty is up.

Baja

TDI
2011 A3 TDI
I received my buyback email today! I filled it out and if gave me my buyback value. Its a done deal only waiting approval the process in is full swing. Don't do any service on your car you are wasting your money. As long as you can drive it to the dealer you will get your money none of the questions asked if you performed regular service they only want the mileage and to know if you own or lease or owe money to the bank. Just remember the $500.00 card is only good for 1 year if I remember correctly. Good luck

Baja

TDI
2011 A3 TDI
If I do the buy back I would be willing to sell my tune for a very fair price. I have an excellent mechanic who can do the swap and you can even test drive my car before you decide to see if that's what you want. Send me an email or message if interested. I will miss the tune its awesome

vintovka

Banned
TDI
NO MORE VW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Most assumed buybacks would be a done deal and flat stopped almost all maintenance long ago. Not only would $$ be wasted the issue impacts the desirability of buying ANY used TDI now or in future. Could be cars out there with 30K+ miles without even an oil change, etc. On that note who of us was clear on maintenance cost when we bought our TDI (or any car for that matter). I sure didn't get a Maintenance Disclosure Estimate .

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Hi,

I have a 2013 A3 with 43k miles as of today. I was hesitate about selling back because I mainly love how this car performs. However, after hearing about the settlement details. I think that the buy-back amount is fair and some might say generous. I would hate to keep the car and issues arise later on. Other negatives for me would be, that fixing a major issue in the future might be very expensive. I am sure there aren't that many TDI mechanics out there.

Anyways, enough of me ranting. My question is? Since i will be selling back. I am reluctant to spend any $$ on this, i rather use the 500.00 goodwill card on a few tires at the dealership. Should i do my DSG service? I will probably put on another 20k miles before turning it in. Will 65K miles before DSG service do any damage to the engine? You realize we got to turn our cars in running :).

Any advice appreciated..
I did my 40K service on our Passat in the garage, on ramps. I am 72 and only modestly DIY, but had no troubles. It was the first time I'd worked on this VW, let alone the DSG, and it took me about 3 hours total. My advice: if you're driving it that far, do the service. If the DSG goes south on you, that's going to be a huge repair before the car can be driven in for the buyback (the only condition specifically mentioned in the legal document).
After I did the DSG service, I started the following thread, which includes a link to the best video I've seen on doing the service:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=457823

The rest of the 40K service is a cakewalk after the DSG.....

Mike91326

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Find another dealer!! My VW dealer charged me $379 out the door for my last DSG service.