1995 4runner alh tdi swap ??s

brady rogers

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jetta 5sp TDI, 2010 bmw x5d, 81 1z MTDi Caddy, 97 jetta tdi
Hey guys, onto another swap... So ive been looking at the 4 runners for awhile think it would be an even better vehicle with a alh under the hood. I found a nice 95' v6 with a blown auto tranny. Was wondering what 5 speed i would need as well as reccomendations on where to get parts. Please any links on tips on more reading would be super. I found a couple 95 tacomas at the upull it, both 5 speeds but they were also 2wd. Whatever transmision is the best to put behind an alh tdi i what i need get. thanks

d24tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4V
Or hold out for one with a 5-speed, they are common enough to find with dead 3.0 engines. I would save myself the extra work and parts chasing to swap from automatic by starting with one built that way, unless the automatic truck you found is really a gem and a screaming deal enough to be worth the trouble.

brady rogers

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jetta 5sp TDI, 2010 bmw x5d, 81 1z MTDi Caddy, 97 jetta tdi
Well I ended up getting the truck, its in pretty decent shape, 800$. After some investigation, the automatic transmission seems fine but its not firing on cylinder #4 so it is only running on 5 cylinders. That being said, i doesnt have enough power to go much over 25mph. Im going to run a compression test and see whats up with it. Other than that, im going to start collecting parts for the 5 speed tdi swap. thanks for the help. The guy I bought the truck from still hasnt removed it from craigslist so heres the link if you want to see it. https://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/d/broken-arrow-toyota-four-runner/6827296327.html