Looking to reward my TDI with suspension upgrades

Slurry Pumper

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
Hey all,

Now that my time has passed to turn in my TDI, I'm looking to reward my 2010 TDI Sedan 6 speed manual with a revamped suspension. It has around 240K miles on the clock, and it is starting to feel like it. Has anyone replaced parts related to the ride and comfort of the car? and how has it worked out for you?

Slurry Pumper

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
This research project is already off the rails. Maybe I should elaborate a little more. The original ride was good for a middle aged geezer like myself, but I always thought the cornering could be a little better in the roll department and the overall feel could be a little stiffer even though it isn't like my dad's Chevy Impala Station wagon from the 70's with the boat ride effect. I also own a Subbie WRX, (actually my son's car). I thought that ride was about as good as it gets with sharp precise control coupled with ride feel that doesn't make your kidneys feel like they just went through a few rounds in a heavyweight fight. I don't expect my krautwagon sedan to ever reach that level of control and feel, but it can be better in my opinion.

Anybody has any opinions on suspension replacement parts for the Jetta.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Some Bilstein HD or even Touring (10% stiffer than stock and way cheaper than HD) or Koni Yellow or FSD would fit the bill. Find a set of H&R springs that give you the ride height you want and you should be golden.

While you're in there it's worthwhile to upgrade the strut mounts to ones from an S3. Have a look at your control arm mounts (especially from behind the front tires), if they're starting to crack that's the best time to upgrade those to ones from an S3 as well. The S3 mounts aren't like motorsport upgrades, but they are stiffer rubber. In the case of the CA mounts, more rubber and less voids.

Slurry Pumper

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
Thanks, I'm going to bust out the google machine and research some more about my choices. I been feeling bad for the car lately since I generally ignored it for the last year with the idea of turning it in if anything bad happened. Of course it just runs and runs without any problems as it always has so now that I can't turn it in, it is time for a little love.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I put the Bilstein Touring shocks on my 2010 Golf TDI at about 160K miles. The car feels great. I also have 17 x 7.5 ET47 wheels with 235/45/17 tires. That combination gave me about a 1-inch wider track compared to stock. Lots of folks seem to like bigger swaybars and lower stiffer springs, but I'm okay with just the stiffer shocks on my Golf. Maybe on the Sportwagen those things would be more important than on my Golf.

In general, I think it's good to start small and do one thing at a time with suspension parts. That way you know what each modification contributes to the changes.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
I have the S3 LCR and S3 upper mounts along with Bilstein HD (B6). This works well with a fairly compliant tire such as my Nokian winters or a Conti ProContact. Not quite as well with a stiff tire such as a Michelin Defender even on 16 in wheels.

In general I would not run a combination of stiffer tires with the S3 upper mounts again. The problem is a lack of compliance around 30 mph over small bumps such as frost cracks and sunken manhole covers. Much better steering precision and overall control than stock though and, with any of the tires, at highway speed the car just feels smooth and secure.

With the more compliant tires (225 45 17 OEM ProContact) the ride is quite acceptable in any reasonable situation without giving up precision. Just as Bilstein claims, the HDs really do ride softer than OEM over more severe bumps.

The other comment I have about the S3 bushings is that the road noise level increased slightly. I think this is mostly the upper mount and for the record I have removed the sound deadening, salt water trap foam from the fenders which may accentuate any noise increase.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Hmm I had my old 2011 JSW at 235k miles, oem original shocks/struts are showing age and tired. So I upgraded to Bilstein HD’s and whoa it was very stiff like a police car and it held up well with my work equipment in the back. So its not a “open cup of coffee” friendly riding.

Oem shocks was about to be done for good.

Would I do it again with my 03 ALH wagon and 2014 JSW, most definitely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk