Service action 23Z9 2015 Q7 3.0 TDI Gen 2.1 AEM-C

Rinderle_77

TDI
2000 Beetle TDI, 2015 Audi Q7 3.0TDI
So, I got a recall paper in the mail for another emissions reflash.

Service action 23Z9 for 3.0TDI Gen 2.1 SUV

Has anyone else gotten this notification, and more importantly, had it done yet?

I'm trying to get some feedback before I commit to it, as my Q has been great for the 7 months and ~14k miles I've owned it. Car is a '15 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI, currently at ~70k miles.

Thanks to all!

Rinderle_77

TDI
Well, finally talked to the dealer. It seems Audi has jumped the gun on this recall/service action. Dealer says that it's fairly common for Audi to send out notices well in advance (often weeks before) of notifying the service centers of the impending action.

So, I'll bide my time. Dealer is supposed to call me when they have more info from the factory/programmers as to what is actually supposed to happen from this update. The letter does state that in some cases, the DPF will need to be replaced...

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Got one for my 2013 Treg. I haven't even bothered calling the dealership, yet. They legit don't understand how to perform these service actions...as in, told me last time that they "think" the scan tool is packed in the back somewhere.

Rinderle_77

TDI
Got one for my 2013 Treg. I haven't even bothered calling the dealership, yet. They legit don't understand how to perform these service actions...as in, told me last time that they "think" the scan tool is packed in the back somewhere.
Builds a lot of confidence in the brand, doesn't it?!?!
It would be funny if it weren't so sad.

TDI
'15 A3 - 2.0 TDI, '14 Q7 - 3.0 TDI
Got mine done earlier this week (Dropped it off Monday, Picked it up Yesterday)

They had to keep it overnight because they were short on technicians after telling me they could get it done in about an hour and a half when I called in the morning. Gave me a 2019 Q7 as a loaner.

First impression, throttle is smoother, slightly more linear, lag seems to be less. It wasn't dead cold when I picked it up, only drove it 12 home miles yesterday.

Drove it from dead cold this morning. The warm-up also seems more smooth in throttle response, no jerkiness or studder/surging. It still gets into 3rd gear and wants to stay there, unlike before any fixes. After 23Z9 it now holds 2400-2500 rpm before getting into 4th gear. After the previous fix it would hold 2700-2800 rpm. Improvement there, I hate it holding gears like a gasser.
All in all, I would think anyone would be happy with this fix if they never felt how the car was before the whole dieselgate thing came up. Most people would probably be satisfied with what Audi has done to correct the behavior induced by the first fix.

Only the pickiest people would still be upset with Audi for how the car feels after all this (can you tell I'm picky?:p)

I swapped my pre-fixed TCM back in this afternoon and went back to early shifts and more confidence in what gear it decided to be in. The throttle response and linear feeling remained and I don't feel the jerkiness I would get sometimes. Lag appears to be lessened, though I think it will always be there to some degree.

Rinderle_77

TDI
I purchased this vehicle post-fix, so I have no idea how it "should" run. I've been very happy with the car so far, but it's good to hear there's less lag off the line. It's probably the only thing that frustrates me with this vehicle. It's almost as bad as the '03-'05 Ford 6.0L Powerstroke diesels.

richh001

TDI
Audi Q5 tdi
I just got this latest fix last week and it seems to have made a big difference in the way it runs. I got the original fix at around 65000 miles and it ran ok but with somewhat reduced mpg, not unexpected so all was good. Then at around 80,000 miles I got error codes that indicated the need to replace the DPF, which the dealer covered only after some back and forth with Audi and the dealer. It ran decidedly less well after that - fine when bone cold and fine when fully warmed up, but lots of hesitation/jerkiness at part throttle when not completely cold or hot. This latest fix with the new DPF, oxygen sensor and reflash has made a world of difference. It runs at a higher idle but much smoother at all engine temperatures. I'm pleased enough to give it a nice coat of wax.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
I just went from original tune to 23Z9, meh, totally nerfed.. gonna undo it here asap.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
I was glad they put a whole new DPF on, will make taking it off that much easier.

I admit its not as terrible as I thought it was gonna be based upon everyone's feedback of the original fix. If you had no idea what it was like originally, what do they say again? oh Ignorance is Bliss? Yeah, you'd probably be fine not knowing how much power was MIA, but me.. if I wanted a vehicle that drove like this, I'd of just bought a gasser in the first place and saved a ton of money..

They put me in a Gas Q5 loaner, when I dropped it off was night/day the difference between my TDI and it.. then picking up my TDI it drove more like the Q5 did, just slower, compared to any diesel Ive owned.

Gonna see if the'll warranty an oil leak on back of motor as soon as the portal shows my extended warranty is active (currently says pending), and after thats handled I'll be bolting a rawtek up to it and going Stage2.. I put it off til the last moment, the end of the settlement program is April.

Last edited: