www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old August 10th, 2016, 04:37   #256
Shife
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWbiker View Post
Indeed. The "Oil motor" give most bang for the buck with highest BTU combustion over gasoline or alcohol.

And, there's no huge lead battery to contend with......
Combine that with the fact that the same expensive after-treatment exhaust systems that diesel engines have had to contend with are coming to gas engines. The idea that diesel is dead is just stupid.
Shife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2016, 07:10   #257
panda
Veteran Member

Default Emissions warranty extension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda View Post
Good luck with that ever happening. BIG cars and BIG trucks are back and it's all due to the low gas prices. The people active on this site love diesels, hell I have 3 diesel vehicles and 3 other pieces of diesel equipment. But as much as it pains me to say it I think the sun is setting on the diesel market and I would be surprised to ever see another model year of diesels in the VW lineup. At this point I'm pretty sure my 2015 GSW is going back, EA288 and all regardless of the fix details.
After reviewing the offer from VW I'm reversing myself on this and keeping my 2015 GSW, at least for now. This is mostly due to the value VW is using for the '15s.

I do like the emissions warranty extension. Anyone else have any thoughts on this warranty and what it will or won't cover?
Old August 28th, 2016, 09:46   #258
charley654
Veteran Member

I have a hard time deciding what to do with my 2015 GSW.
I absolutely love the car. I am on the mission to find a suitable replacement, but any car I have test driven does not come close to power, handling and fuel efficiency the GWS have. But want to turn it becauseI don't think I will ever get equal money of VW offer- for the car- trade or sell. Future of diesel cars in this country questionable.
charley654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2016, 12:18   #259
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Do nothing. Just drive it. Consider taking the fix in a year or two if it's appealing. Ignore the money. Cars are an expense. Not worth driving something you don't like just to save a few dollars if you enjoy and can afford what you have.
Old August 30th, 2016, 07:12   #260
ZippyNH
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charley654 View Post
I have a hard time deciding what to do with my 2015 GSW.
I absolutely love the car. I am on the mission to find a suitable replacement, but any car I have test driven does not come close to power, handling and fuel efficiency the GWS have. But want to turn it becauseI don't think I will ever get equal money of VW offer- for the car- trade or sell. Future of diesel cars in this country questionable.
Most of us are guessing the ea-288 will be minimally impacted....since the buyback offer is pretty low on the 2015, it feels like a push to do a simple fix for these motors, take the $$, and keep driving.heck...they might go up In value a bit...
All the info says the changes to the ea288 are Minor...a couple sensors...they are so close too meeting the specs, it is more of a cover their azz types of thing...
Old August 30th, 2016, 11:09   #261
panda
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyNH View Post
Most of us are guessing the ea-288 will be minimally impacted....since the buyback offer is pretty low on the 2015, it feels like a push to do a simple fix for these motors, take the $$, and keep driving.heck...they might go up In value a bit...
All the info says the changes to the ea288 are Minor...a couple sensors...they are so close too meeting the specs, it is more of a cover their azz types of thing...
Agreed, the emission's warranty extension sealed the deal for me for my 2015 GSW. If the fix neuters the performance and mileage numbers, the trade in value two years out is unlikely to have taken as big a hit as they are calculating for EA-288 buybacks now.
Old September 5th, 2016, 18:06   #262
panda
Veteran Member

I know there are lot's of VW's in Europe with the EA-288 but in the US it looks like 2015 may be last year. Anyone know what the total number is for the EA-288 in the US?
Old September 6th, 2016, 12:05   #263
J.R.
Veteran Member

Quote:
I know there are lot's of VW's in Europe with the EA-288 but in the US it looks like 2015 may be last year. Anyone know what the total number is for the EA-288 in the US?
Yeah... it's not looking good Mazda 3 Sport GT with the 2.5L might just be my next car now.
J.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2016, 05:38   #264
Larry@FixMyVW

TDI(s): 2015 GSW 6MT

Quote:
I'm also very curious about this. I thought only the S model Sportwagens were available with the 6spd, SE, SEL received DSG. I'm definitely keeping my 6 speed Sportwagen!
Larry@FixMyVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2016, 13:03   #265
tomo366
TDI Lifer, Member #131

I love my 2015 Jetta SEL TDI 6 speed manual with every option!
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland EcoDiesel
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black!
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2016, 02:37   #266
panda
Veteran Member

I wonder what's up with the EA-288 emission "fix"? Like many others I've received my offer letter for my intention to fix but the schedule is still up in the air. The 2015's understandably seem to be a little lost in the current process. If the EA-288 fix involves adding DEF every say 5,000 miles this could be a problem. It wouldn't bother most reading this page, we do it at home anyway. Even so it could be an issue for those owner's relying on the dealer.
Old December 7th, 2016, 07:41   #267
charley654
Veteran Member

With the latest news of VW completely pulling out the diesel from the US and focusing towards electric hybrids, the future of diesel is lost.
If you want to own the last of the best diesel= classic, keep it.
I love mine and had 4 or so VW TDIs, all trouble free.
But this time I am letting it go.
charley654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2017, 06:10   #268
dubStrom
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyNH View Post
https://www.newscientist.com/article...affected-cars/

This is a good, and fairly short read!!
But this is WHY i am not as worried about the SCR/DEF equipped cars...
That article sums up the transition to SCR. Inevitable to comply with emissions standards. Yes, SCR fixes the problem, but...

I will never forgive the reckless driver that destroyed my 2014 JSW and sent me to the emergency room. The combination of no SCR, and the "adaptive emissions management" (EPA workaround) resulted in a nice balance of excellent low/mid torque AND really great mpg, bone stock. And overall, emissions were not bad.

Sure, you can get that performance out of an older TDI, but not with the other improvements in trim, suspension (agility), more room (and range!), and comfort features (factory bluetooth and voice commands!). I like my 2015 GSW, but the 2014 was just a better car.

The added complexity and performance hit of the SCR really just puts diesel cars on par with TSI in performance and value. Definitely for smaller vehicles, where loss of range, storage space, and overall cost renders the diesel option untenable. It is no wonder that VW will not sell them in NA anymore. And, soon it won't make sense to sell them at all as emissions standards that include NOx restrictions expand throughout the world.

Last edited by dubStrom; July 3rd, 2017 at 06:15.
dubStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2017, 06:35   #269
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion. I feel just the opposite: my '15 GSW is a far nicer car than my '12 Golf. The Golf in stock form had significant turbo lag at low revs, risk of intercooler icing, poor FE, harsh ride with stock wheels and tires, and lots of rattles. The '15 is significantly better in all those areas. Only think I miss is the cloth seats in the '12.
Old July 3rd, 2017, 08:07   #270
dubStrom
Veteran Member

I did not notice turbo lag in the '14 JSW, and improvements in the HPFP and other more minor things were addressed in that last year of the MKVI TDI wagon. It was a good time to buy a JSW.

It had more room to stash things in the glove compartment, under the front seats, and in the hatch area. All of that adds up...gone. And the smaller fuel tank is instantly noticeable when you drive out the first tank. I owned the JSW for more than two years when the accident totaled it, and it was just really beginning to plateau in fuel economy, pushing 700 miles per tank. It was always easily more than 40mpg in the city, even though I was using that torque to get up to speed. I was anxious to take it on the road again but never got the chance.

I guess I will have to wait to see how the GSW does. It will take a couple of years. But the range will never be the same unless I eventually do a retrofit larger tank installation and SCR delete (if that is even possible!).

Last edited by dubStrom; July 3rd, 2017 at 08:20.
dubStrom is offline   Reply With Quote