Random power loss? Random limp mode?

Tatkins85

TDI
2003 vw jetta TDI
So about 4 months ago my 2002 vw jetta tdi started to loose power and go into limb mode. the glow plug light also started flickering on and off along with the check engine light that came on around the same time. after checking the code it ended up being a bad glow plug.
While i was under the hood i noticed one of the main fuse links on top of the battery was blown, so i also replaced that. The front driver side head light was also out, so that two was replaced.
After finishing everything up, i started the car and erased the check engine light codes and drove it.
The light never came back on and the car drove fine for about 3 weeks. Then i started noticing the loss of power again and every once in awhile the glow plug light will come on but resets it self when the key is turned off and back on. Both problems don't seem to be related, but there the only issues im having.
It seem very random but the loss of power come more and more frequently without a check engine light? It has only happened in first or second gear and goes away as quickly as it comes? ill be driving in 2nd gear and then all power goes away, i can slam the gas pedal down with no accelerations. it seems to go away if i push the clutch in and rev the engine up and start from there. Same thing happens in 1st gear, i can start accelerating and then the car goes limb with no power and i start to slow down till i push the clutch back in and rev the engine.
Anybody have any ideas on whats going on? it seems to be happening more and more often, without a check engine light thrown? so i don't know what to do to fix it.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Do a search for limp mode. Usually the problem is something related to turbocharger control. It could be bad vacuum lines, an actuator that is leaking, stuck vanes on the turbine side of the turbocharger, or a dirty N75 solenoid.

You will get a lot of indiscriminate posts on that search, but after reading a lot, you will see that you need to check and test all of the above items.

Usually the limp mode isn't directly tied to intake manifold obstruction, as build up there causes continual lack of power when it gets noticed. But, it can be a factor, so I mention it here instead of grouped with the main items to check for limp mode resolution.

Good luck hunting this down.

Cheers,

PH