2005 B5.5 tdi AC compressor replace

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Anyone done that lately and aware of a "how to"? My compressor has pretty mech died with no more than 100 psi high side pressure now with a full charge. I figure sevice lock is mandatory

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
10 min to replace compressor...much longer to vac the system then recharge!

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Who has experience with buying a replacement compressor? Please share cost/brand/experience/etc.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
I have had good luck with the Rockauto Denso units. I have used 2 on my old A4 cars with good success and this one is Denso. Get the whole kit including dryer and expansion valve and if you've had a compressor failure, flush the system before you install. Good to hear that quicksilver. Was planning on waiting 20k more miles before the service lock for timing belt job.

Last edited:

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
I have had good luck with the Rockauto Denso units. I have used 2 on my old A4 cars with good success and this one is Denso. Get the whole kit including dryer and expansion valve and if you've had a compressor failure, flush the system before you install. Good to hear that quicksilver. Was planning on waiting 20k more miles before the service lock for timing belt job.
Thanks, it is good to know. I believe my AC compressor is still the original in my 2004 Passat. For its age the AC still works reasonably well.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
AC compressor R&R seems simple!?

It takes about 10 minutes. Remove belly pan, loosen AC belt. Unplug clutch wire. Remove 3 bolts in compressor, lower it a bit to access and remove 2 bolts in lines and 1 bolt in line support bracket. Assembly is the reverse.
So, for an skillful person the whole compressor R&R takes no more than 30 minutes?

I just came from my local trusted auto shop (not VW or TDI specialized) and they did an AC recharge and leak check. It needed 6 oz which represents a little bit over 25% of the total capacity (600 grams or 21.2 ounces, right?). Total cost $63.35. The previous AC service was four years ago and at that time it needed 4 ounces.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Something to keep in mind regarding the [non-W8] B5 Passats: the electric cooling fan should come on ANY time the A/C is switched on with the engine running. These sometimes die, and it will cause poor heat transfer, as the only fan left is the engine driven clutch fan. And that fan is a dual speed, but is controlled via old fashioned relays and resistors, in salty areas the resistor mounted down low on the underside of the left (driver) side unibody rail can get corroded and break its contacts off. Easy to check, as the connector for the fan is the one with the two big wires in the connector holder near the PS fluid reservoir. Brown as always is ground, the red is the power.

Also, these B5s do NOT use the more efficient expansion valve system that the transverse cars of the same era use. They instead use the fixed orifice type, and this little restriction tube is in the coupling up near the cabin filter. It should be checked and cleaned or if necessary replaced if poor cooling is experienced.

And if you decide it DOES need a compressor, Denso is the OEM supplier for these. And they use the same one as the AWM 1.8t engine, if you decide to look for a used one.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm a little pissed at Rockauto. I purchased a Denso AC compressor fron them and lo and behold I got a UAC unit with made in china stamped on it. Is it possible to get anything now made anywhere other than china? Same goes for FCP Euro. Bought some Lemforder motor mounts for my Mercedes conversion and same stamp-made in china. Looks like china does own the world

Last edited:

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm a little pissed at Rockauto. I purchased a Denso AC compressor fron them and lo and behold I got a UAC unit with made in china stamped on it. Is it possible to get anything now made anywhere other than china? Same goes for FCP Euro. Bought some Lemforder motor mounts for my Mercedes conversion and same stamp-made in china. Looks like china does own the world
Interesting ECS Tuning does not even sell the Denso AC compressor:

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/8D0260805RX/

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I believe that. UAC has or is cornering the market. Mine seems OK so far-nice and cold for now.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, removing and replacing the compressor takes less than 30 minutes.

Evac and recharge is a separate operation. If the system had leaked down via the compressor you should place it under vacuum for an hour or so, and probably replace the receiver/dryer. If it still had some charge, I'd give it 10 minutes. Recharge should be less than 10 minutes.
I usually stick the cans in hot water-boils out quick-yeh

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI

oilhammer

TDI
The VAG box. Same as most things.

I just installed a genuine Nissin (not a misspelling) caliper on a Honda CRV. We got it from one of our wholesalers, not sure what the cost to us was, but we retailed it out for $139. Honda's list price is over $300. Difference: Plain box vs. Honda box. That's it.

Go price some Denso stuff on Toyotas and you'll see some even bigger dealer markups.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks oilhammer. What I was suspecting.

Then you look at the ECS Tuning 'genuine Remanufactured A/C Compressor' for $733 and you don't know whether to laugh or to cry.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
$733 for a reman? OMG! At leas the UAC unit was new. My AC system leaked down this past week. Time for the dye and blacklight. I just hope it's not the evaporator. Hope it's an o-ring. The ones UAC supplied aren't as thick as the ones the oe ones. Probably 50 bucks for genuine oe ones. I replaced a heater core recently in an 01 4motion Passat-no fun. Evaporator is probably an even harder fix.

oilhammer

TDI
You should see what you have to do to replace the evap core in a Ford Transit. Yes, they are already failing, despite the OLDEST one here being only five years old. First step: remove the RF door. :eek:

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
did a few searches and for sure the entire dash has to come out so will put an all aluminum heater core in at the same time if indeed I have to replace the evaporator. Monster job for sure. Unfortunately as these cars hit the 15 year age, these problems will cause many more of these fine cars to be junked. The ones that are fixed still won't fetch a fair price so off to the crusher.

Last edited:

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
not totally on topic but observing dealing with the new ref. 1234 in some 18 and up is a real PITA