More Noob Q's from a fresh Noob

dieselgrandad

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Silver B4 Passat
More Noob Q\'s from a fresh Noob

This is an outstanding site. I've already learned more in the past couple days than I have in the past 5 yrs. ('97 Passat TDI, box stock - no mods, 111,000 plus on the ODO. Mpg in mid-fourties on Amoco Premier diesel.)

Any one have problems with, or know why the d--- doors won't latch when the temp goes below 10-15F? This has gone on for years. The dealer? hah!
(there all bozo's on that bus) I have had the panels off, cleaned and lubed everything I could see, all to no avail. We resort to holding the doors closed with bungee cords
(you can never have too many bungee cords) until the interior warms up and the doors work (until they get cold again). Power locks by the way.

We also experience a slight, intermittant, (but there more often than not) surge or pause during hard acceleration, i.e. on-ramps, etc. Almost like the engine just starts to starve out but then recovers. Changed the fuel filter, problem is still there. This is a nuisance, not a major problem (until it gets worse).

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

nanoonanook

Veteran Member
Re: More Noob Q\'s from a fresh Noob

Welcome DieselDad.

You have some very interesting problems that I have no idea of how to help on Number 1. sorry.

As for number 2, there are a lot of things it could be. Where, in the RPM range, are you finding the "dead spot". I have one around 2800 rpm's in my 00 Jetta. It is not horrible or anything, but as you say, a bit of a nuicence.

I have some maintaince that I need to do that I am hoping will clear it up. Given your mileage, I would strongly urge you to do or at least look into the same.

here goes,

Clean the snow screen out. I did mine a year ago and have been procrastinating (spelling?) far far too long.

Intake clogged with carbon?? In the 101 forum here, there are some pic's of people's intakes who have far less mileage then you and I do. It will absolutly blow you away how much crud is in there. This MUST be a performance decreaser.

How are your air filters, I thought (maybe I was dreaming) that my "dead spot" lessened when I put a new air filer in. It is back again but again, I don't think it is as bad as before, this is what leads me to believe the snow screen cleaning is in extreme need.

Anyway, I hope this helps a little.

Andrew

dieselgrandad

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Silver B4 Passat

Thanks for the reply nanoonanook.

Air filter is good: easy to get to, aft-mkt avail so it gets changed 2-3x's per year.

Snow screen?
Like in front of the charge-air cooler?

I saw the picts too: plan on a little "wrenchin' & investigatin'" this week-end. (this site is a tremendous help
.)

Also checked out the tech bulletins mentioned by one of the other members: couldn't find any that applied.

As for problem #1; we just made our transition from winter to summer this week (93F on Tues.). The doors are good for another 6-7 months.

Don't worry about spelling, I probably wouldn't notice. I became an engineer because I couldn't spell. The "spell-checker" was the secretary, and we did all our correspondence on stone tablets.

DD

P.S. Do you ever see Mork & whatever happened to Mindy?

MITBeta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2004 Sprinter CDI Passenger (Mid/High), former: 1996 Passat TDI Variant

Snow screen? Like in front of the charge-air cooler?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The snow screen, also know as the air snorkle, is located upstream of the OEM filter box in the front fender. If you are running an aftermarket air filter that does not utilize the OEM airbox, then cross this off your list of things to check. Otherwise, do a search for "snow screen" and you will be rewarded with pictures and procedures for removing, cleaning, and permanently "fixing" this problem.

nanoonanook

Veteran Member

Good point MITBeta. If you are running the stock airbox. Then the snow screen, first time is only a 5 minute ordeal. Especially for an engineer. (I'm only a Technologist !
)

Mork and Mindy eh? That is a bit before my time. I'm not totally sure of how that story goes. My sig. is a very long story but has something to do with Ojibway (or Huron maybe) and a brother who couldn't say my same as a kid... mix that all up and you get nanoonanook. Original anyway !

dieselgrandad

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Silver B4 Passat

Thanks nanoonanook and MITBeta,

All of this has become somewhat moot. I've started a new thread "OH, SON of a B----!" To give you a preview, the Passat jumped time while my wife was headed home.

Mork & Mindy was a comedy in the 70's starring Robin Williams as Mork, an alien stranded on earth. He lived with Mindy who was an earthling. His greeting was some hand sign and the words "nanoo nanoo".

Thanks again for the feedback!

DD