MKVII has no traction control 'Off' Switch?

Kalevi1Poeg

TDI
2015 Golf SE Manual TDI Mk7 Silk Blue, 20th Anniversary GTI Jazz Blue
Can anyone confirm that the MKVII has no traction control 'Off' switch. How do you get up a slippery slope in the winter? My 20th Anniversary GTI even with studded Hakkas needs the traction control turned off to get up some steep slopes.

McDub

TDI
2015 Golf S, 2009 Sportwagen
There's a setting in the onscreen menu where you can turn off some of the traction nannies, but not all of them. I think you can reduce traction control but the car still auto-corrects if you get too sideways (i.e. drift).

Kalevi1Poeg

TDI
Thanks MCDub.
So you have to go through 5 menu screens to get the traction control turned off - as you lose your momentum (throttle shut off) going up the 2 mile ice covered hill.
Stability Control I can unerstand not being able to turn off - but you need to be able to turn the Traction Control (ASR) off in the snow/ice.

Last edited:

WiszMaster

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta TDI - Silver, '06 Golf TDI, '06 MB 320 CDI
Yes, track is buried in the menu under car on the big screen.
I believe I saw someone get a euro switch for it, and change the programming to utilize the switch for drivers assistance functions (ASR/trac/etc) - could be mistaken though, and certainly would be a mod rather than a factory button.

ses310

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
As others said, it's in the menu. You may find that you rarely, if ever want to turn it off. I thought I'd be wanting to do the same this winter, but I found it to instead be more helpful than I thought it would be in snow. We have a hilly driveway. With all my previous cars, I always needed a running start to make it up, even when just plowed. This golf of ours just chugs up the drive with no issues. It may slow down due to the traction control working, but it just keeps going. Any time I didn't make it up, turning the traction control off wouldn't have helped anyway.

The only time I could see that I might want to turn it off is if I was stuck in a parking place and wanted to rock the car to get it out. Even then, It might not help much cause the traction control also works kind of like an electronic limited slip differential, and locks the slipping wheel to put force on the non-slipping wheel. We bought our car in Jan. and had lots of snow since. We had no issues running it with the stock tires.

Kalevi1Poeg

TDI
Thanks Nutty - thats exactly what I was looking for. It will be the first thing I install.
Why would VW drop the ASR 'Off' switch to begin with - also wonder if it is the same in Europe?

Caseyb476

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6spd man
I would 2nd what SES said. I find that even with TC on, the wheels have enough slip. I have been caught offguard a few times when I started slipping too easily.

Chris132

TDI
VW golf mk7
You can manually override it. Turn ignition on but don't start engine. Flick Hazards on. Push gas pedal 5 times this will disengage the ESC and traction control. Then start the car and turn hazards off. This will only turn it off once. So next time you start your car it will be on again. Rather annoying but this process works.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Chris - is there any indication on the screen that you've succeeded in making the change? Thanks.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
You can buy a set of switches with harness for $30 on AliExpress... $500 from USP is criminal.

You could also buy just the harness from AliExpress and source part number 5G1927137R if you don't want the mode button.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
There is I have a picture and a short video also. But unsure how to upload it here.
The paper-clip to the right of the T for font size, allows you to insert a link for the file you want others to have access to. It's for something like a youtube video or vimeo, if that works. Thanks.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Press car button, then select setup, then select ACR,then select off. It will stay off until you turn ign off. When you start car next time acr is on. Hope this works for you Mike.