Starting in cold weather & glow plugs

Nicklstdi

TDI
golf 2011
Hi everybody. I have a 2011 tdi golf. I had no idea how quick the car is and how much reserve power it has. Question: What is the procedure to starting in cold weather with glow plugs? now, it starts as normal. What will I see when the glow plugs work. When will they work? Do i do anything special? when do I crank the engine over (with the glow plugs working.

Question#2 Any concerns about using the cooler warmer by Frost King? Any bad experiences?

thanks, Nick

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
You should seldom need to think about glow plugs. Just turn the key and do. As it get to winter, I don't think you will have any problems in Copaigue. Maybe on really cold days you may want to turn the key to on for say ten seconds and then turn it to start. At 20f Below zero, you may want to give it maybe 15 - 20 seconds.

Winter starts are not a common problem.

Note: I am not sure all models and years work the same, but as I recall the light you see come on and then off is just a test of the system. It has been a long time since I have had to cycle the glow plugs (turn the ignition off and then back on which will give the plugs a little more on time.

There should be lots of threads on the subject.

I believe most people like the Frost King, but since it does not take long for my TDI to start delivering heat, I have not bothered with it.

The coldest I have been in with a diesel was 27 f Below and my diesel VW was up and running and driving out of the parking long at the motel while not one gasoline car had yet been started.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Hi everybody. I have a 2011 tdi golf. I had no idea how quick the car is and how much reserve power it has. Question: What is the procedure to starting in cold weather with glow plugs? now, it starts as normal. What will I see when the glow plugs work. When will they work? Do i do anything special? when do I crank the engine over (with the glow plugs working.

Question#2 Any concerns about using the cooler warmer by Frost King? Any bad experiences?

thanks, Nick
Welcome aboard!!
You really should do a read thru of the owners manual. It is for the most part a simple turn the key to "ON" wait a few seconds for the GP lite to go off/out and turn the key to "START" and crank normally. The new GPs are much quicker than the old style ones like mine which will stay on for almost a minute at -20F and/or colder. You will see very little GP lite until its below freezing.
Check out TDI Heater dot com. Terrys kits are very well done. I made my own for the '01. If I had a new car, I'ld buy his kit.
No concerns about using the coolant heaters, unless you like a cold cabin. An hour or so on a timer is about all that is required if you have to park outdoors in sub-zero F. At -20F (or colder) I use the coolant heater for maybe an hour even though my TDI is in an unheated garage. it takes the "edge" off. And the MKIV's don't have the fancy electric vent heaters.;)

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
10 to 20 seconds of glow time for an '11? Maybe at -50F. At -10F I never needed more than 5 seconds, I'd be surprised it even needed that much time.

I think you're worried too much about it, Nick. Once the curly French fry light goes off, start the engine.

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
reiterating #3, as it seems OP question is aimed at gleaning the procedure for interacting with the glow plug cycling. Good idea to read owner's manual.
Identify the glow plug symbol on the instrument cluster icons section- it typically looks like an orange distorted spiral (to me !).
The sequence is generally:
[1] Insert the key and turn it to "on" position. Or with a bladeless key, insert it to the first click position. At that point the outside temperature is read by the car, and the glow plugs come on for whatever amount of time it deems necessary.
[2] What you do is... watch for the glow plug light to extinguish. Soon as you see the glow plug light extinguish, crank the engine to start.

Glow plug light may remain on for less than a second, or may remain on for up to several seconds. Hope this is of help, just a more wordy version of what jettawreck wrote.

andy7079

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan, 2014 Touareg
I've been wondering, how does KESSY play into the GP heating? My guess is that it automatically cycles the GP's (if needed) then hits the starter. Can anyone confirm?