battery life

jackyd

Guys, what kind of life are you getting on the OEM battery? My 99 TDI bug is 26 months old and will barely fire up the interior lights. The temp is in the 20s in Virginia, but still...

Recommendations for replacement?

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
If you feel that you don't have a short and your battery is weak, I'd replace it ASAP. VW's OEM batteries are notorious for only lasting a couple of years.

Furthermore, all the electronic gismo's, in addition to the glow plugs, put a strain on the electrical system. Also, keep in mind the constant drain of the automatic alarm system, which doesn't help the OEM battery's life either.

chopchop

Top Post Dawg
Seems as though you count the useful life of a VW/Audi battery in days after the 2-year point. Don't know where they source them from (used to be Yugoslavia) but they were crap 15 years ago and it sounds as if they still are. Time VW reviewed their QC on these items - they charge enough for the cars, and I think we're entitled to better life from these items.

feto

Veteran Member
Short. I have installed a Varta Blue Dynamic unit now and am very pleased with it.

------------------
'94 Golf tdi 1Z
'56 Willys M38A1

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I just replaced the Factory Original Battery in my 1997 Passat 2.5 years old with an Optima Orange Top. WOW! This thing Cranks literally!

Ted_Grozier

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GL 4-dr
When I last bought an Optima (3 years back) it had an Interstate label on top. Sold under license. Check the web - if it's still available through Interstate then it should be easy to find. I would never buy anything other than these batteries, especially for a diesel. Good luck. Ted

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I bought my "Orange Top" from Batteries plus, 125.00,
Some of the folks here have been buying the Red Top's and the Yellow Top's. They will work but have to do creative things with the cables.The Orange top is the same as the Red Top but the post's are reversed making it a virtual drop-in on Volkswagen,s and these batteries are high CCA'S and Maintenance free. http://www.optimabatteries.com/main.htm

[This message has been edited by tomo366 (edited January 03, 2001).]

Gary Miyakawa

Admin Emeritus
TDI
1998 NB TDI
I bought the yellow top (supposedly best for diesel applications..) and it went straight in with only having to clip one wire tie.... I'm pleased with it so far..

Gary M

Switca

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
Thanks, Tom! There's a place 5 miles down the road!!

------------------
Gregor Switca
-------------
1999.5 Jetta GL
1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4

Torque is a beautiful thing.