2002 TDI Wont Start (cranks over but wont run)

TDI
Jetta, 2002, black
Hello all and thank you, in advance, for your help.

Last night the Jetta was not running well so I parked it for the night and today it wont start. Here is the story as it unfolded:

Yesterday I was on a longer drive. Two hours or so. I had the air conditioning on and noticed that the check engine light went on. I turned off the air and the CEL was still on for awhile then went off. Later that evening the car began to run funny. It started ok but upon take off it sounded like it was knocking more than normal until it rev'ed over about 2K. After stoping home for a bit I went to take off again and the car did not want to start. I turned it over for approx. 3 seconds, nothing. I turned the ignition off, then back on and it started normal. Still had the same louder knock upto 1.5K. Drove it for a short time and parked it for the night.

Today. Got up this morning went to go to the store and the car turns over but wont run. It does have a bit of smoke coming out of the eghaust while being turned over and has a full tank of gas.

I don't live anywhere near a station that can work on it. I am wondering if its in need of a fuel filter or if there is a bad part in there somewhere. I live in the southern suburbs of Minneapolis if anyone is near.

Thanks for all responses.

Mark

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
First, let's assume that you meant to say full tank of fuel rather than full tank of gas.

When was the fuel filter changed last? When was the timing belt changed if ever? What year is your car? How many miles on your car? Ever had the timing checked? Do you get your fuel from the cheapest place in town, or is it good fuel? Is it BioD or some kind of Veggie oil?

There are other questions that can be asked but I'm on Coffee jitters right now and don't really know too much anyway. Those are just some of the basic questions that should be answered.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Probably not the problem, but... did you check the anti-shudder valve?? (The spring-loaded vaccuum operated flap that's on the intake towards the passenger side...)

If you're in Minneapolis, we've got one of the TDI Gurus living there: look up UserID Deafbug here and send him a Private Message...

Yuri.

TDI
Jetta, 2002, black
Whitedog,

Yes its a full tank of fuel. Here are the answers to your questions. The vehicle has 111,000 miles on it. I purchased it at 93,000 miles and have all the records from day 1 on the car.

The last major service was the 80K service. At that time the timing belt was changed, fuel filter was changed too.

The vehicle is a 2002 ( as listed in the title of the post ). I have not had the timing checked. I purchase fuel at the same station everytime. I have had not problems.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Mark

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Recommended change interval for the fuel filter is 20K, iirc. Your's has done it's job, and should be changed. Not likely this problem, but it might be contributing.

It's really difficult to see you in my crystal ball - perhaps someone closer could. Too much static....

If I could hook up my computer and VagCom, I'd be able to tell you your error code that is stored in memory. That is what I'd suggest - have the car scanned. Not being able to drive it makes this difficult, unless you have a TDI'er who's willing to help. That or getting it towed to an appropriate mechanic.

treyca

Veteran Member
Have you checked your snow screen? Are you getting air bubbles moving through the fuel line?
Visually inspect your TBbelt for any damage or stretching.
Do you have a grey or black relay 109.
Check your fuses

TDI
Jetta, 2002, black
UPDATE

One of the fellow TDIclubbers has come and pay my vehicle a visit. We found two things. One minor, one maybe major.

The VAG-COM revealed that the coolant temp sensor is bad. We purchased one but have not yet installed it. That's the easy one. Much to my (and the person helping) surprise was that when we removed the timing belt cover and inspected the belt it has over 1 1/2 inches deflection. Some inspection revealed that the tensioner may have come loose. It may have jumped the belt and may have caused some real damage.

This is yet another reason NOT to go to the friendly dealer for service. This belt was replaced 26K ago!!! (I purchased the car after the belt was done. The owner, with all records since the first day purchased, did all the work at the dealer). They did not say much when called because i am not the original owner when the service was done.

Well the new kit is on its way from dieselgeek and we will install it and see what happens.

Wish me good luck that the motor is not hatched.

madrean

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
Probably not the problem, but... did you check the anti-shudder valve?? (The spring-loaded vaccuum operated flap that's on the intake towards the passenger side...)

If you're in Minneapolis, we've got one of the TDI Gurus living there: look up UserID Deafbug here and send him a Private Message...

Yuri.
today after having the engine off for <2 min, I tried restarting it. it took about three attempts to get it finally. it ran fine after that, no CEL or anything.

So when I get into my garage, I killed it then tried restarting it. Once again, kinda just a sputter.

EGR instantly popped in my head (thanks to having read this wonderful forum for the past year or two).

So, I played with it, and sure enough, it was "sticking."

My question is: Is there a way to clean it without taking it off? Or do I need to get inside and take gunk out of the butterfly valve?

I cleaned the intake manifold several months ago (removed from the block) and at the time, the valve didn't look too bad..

Thanks,
Mark

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Best to remove as you do not want chunks going into the intake. IIRC it is three internal hex bolts to the manifold and two to remove the connection to the EGR cooler.

I just looked at my EGR valve this afternoon on my 2002 with 108,000 miles on it: light coating of sooty oil and the butterfly was clean. Of course everyday on my drive to work I give it the old italian tuneup: get the boost up to 16.5 psi and let the baby fly for a bit!

Oh I do have an OldNavy CCV mod on my car and it takes out most of the oil for me.