What mods to do first??

San-Man

Newark, Delaware to NYC & back every day...
TDI
'03 Jetta GL
OK, I should finally be getting my '03 Jetta TDI this coming week...What engine mods should I do first? I do plan on chipping it, but that's probably gonna be last on my list...But what to do first? I'm more concerned with mods that will prevent future problems rather than performance increasing mods at this point, mainly because I'm gonna be doing 1300 miles a week with this thing and at that rate, crud, etc, builds up fast...I'll do the performance stuff later as time allows, and even then, I'd be more interested in mods that won't lower my MPG...Thanks in advance...

TDI_ESEL

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Originally posted by San-Man:
OK, I should finally be getting my '03 Jetta TDI this coming week...What engine mods should I do first?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">1) Mufflerectomy
2) Eat the peanuts outta my shiiiitte

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
Originally posted by San-Man:
OK, I should finally be getting my '03 Jetta TDI this coming week...What engine mods should I do first? I do plan on chipping it, but that's probably gonna be last on my list...But what to do first?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">CHIP HER FIRST!

SwimmerDave

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW 6MT
If you choose to chip your TDI, be aware that your TDI, like mine, most likely uses the weak SACHS clutch that is barely strong enough to handle the torque from a stock TDI. Do a few searches in the TDIFAQ and in the Performance Upgrades forums to learn more. Do NOT chip your TDI without doing some research first or you will be sorely disappointed and your wallet about $800 lighter after about 10,000 miles when your stock clutch wears out.

As for what I'd do, based upon your perceived wants:

1) ventectomy (read GeWilli's post - it's great)
2) if you don't mind increaseing your NOx output, thus harming the environment AND breaking the law, EGR disable
3) CCV bypass
4) if you don't want DRLs, DRL disable
5) if wearing out your clutch fast is OK, chip