Bought a new 2014 TDI "value edition"

William J Toensing

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 TDI Jetta "value edition" 4 door
:) The Labor Day weekend is usually the best time to get a good deal on a new car. I had under consideration in addition to a new TDI, a Ford Focus, Toyota Prius, & Dodge Dart with a 6 speed manual. I started my research about 2 weeks before Labor Day, not expecting to buy a new car then. Then, almost as an afterthought, I stopped at a VW dealer for some literature, not expecting to take a test drive. What I really wanted was a manual transmission TDI Sportwagen but the price was to high. However, the salesman showed me a new 2014 "value edition" TDI blue sedan with the automatic manual 2 clutch transmission, sticker price aprox. $23,500, test drove it, & low balled a $20,000 offer with 72 month month financing @ 2% interest. The dealer didn't want to accept my offer. I then left & said I want to look some more. As I was getting into my Mercedes E300 diesel, they accepted my offer. Moral: Do some research ahead of time which I was planning to do. Although the TDI cost more, its extreemly low depreation rate, higher fuel economy, & better handling made me go for the TDI although I probably could have got a Prius for $2,000 less & a Focus for $5,000 to $6,000 less as I think the TDI will be a better value in the long run.
I have only filled the TDI twice with the dealer providing a full tank at delivery & have driven it aprox. 1350 miles. The first fill up was 34 MPG, the second was 42 MPG & the third, 44 MPG. I don't know how accurate the instant & average MPG reading is but at 55 MPH on a level road, no AC on, the instant MPG reading is 53 MPG!

DieselBruce

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta tdi
:) The Labor Day weekend is usually the best time to get a good deal on a new car. I had under consideration in addition to a new TDI, a Ford Focus, Toyota Prius, & Dodge Dart with a 6 speed manual. I started my research about 2 weeks before Labor Day, not expecting to buy a new car then. Then, almost as an afterthought, I stopped at a VW dealer for some literature, not expecting to take a test drive. What I really wanted was a manual transmission TDI Sportwagen but the price was to high. However, the salesman showed me a new 2014 "value edition" TDI blue sedan with the automatic manual 2 clutch transmission, sticker price aprox. $23,500, test drove it, & low balled a $20,000 offer with 72 month month financing @ 2% interest. The dealer didn't want to accept my offer. I then left & said I want to look some more. As I was getting into my Mercedes E300 diesel, they accepted my offer. Moral: Do some research ahead of time which I was planning to do. Although the TDI cost more, its extreemly low depreation rate, higher fuel economy, & better handling made me go for the TDI although I probably could have got a Prius for $2,000 less & a Focus for $5,000 to $6,000 less as I think the TDI will be a better value in the long run.
I have only filled the TDI twice with the dealer providing a full tank at delivery & have driven it aprox. 1350 miles. The first fill up was 34 MPG, the second was 42 MPG & the third, 44 MPG. I don't know how accurate the instant & average MPG reading is but at 55 MPH on a level road, no AC on, the instant MPG reading is 53 MPG!
Most likely the dealer didn't really fill it "full" so the first tank is probably a throw away number. Enjoy the car! The instant and average will be off by a bit, they always are. Hand calculate to find out your real fuel mileage.

JonLla84

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium
If you have a Benz then what are you doing low balling on $20,000 cars?

Lol :p

Tfuce

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf TDI
I have a similar story and ended up buying right before Labor Day. I wanted a manual but they were motivated to move their last 2014 which was a DSG. MPG has been steadily rising since I bought it. With the TDI, I am becoming obsessive-compulsive about watching the mpg.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Congrats on the purchase and welcome back to an old TDIClub veteran! We wanna see pics and details of your car in the gallery section!

White Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL June 2012 build date Purchased 09/14/14
I did the math and got the same answer a couple of weeks ago when I bought my CPO 2013 Passat SEL. A close second with the Cruze diesel. Past experience has taught me never to buy version 1.0 of anything, software, hardware or with wheels.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
There's a VE Jetta sitting on my local dealer's lot. Don't know why it hasn't moved. I wonder if some people are cross-shopping it with the 2.slow. Same interior and features, now about $6K less with discounts. That would buy a lot of RUG.