Mpg argggg

BadWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG/ 2015 Golf S Three Pedal
True... Yes, my son and I were watching the episodes of Dr Who referencing Bad Wolf when I signed up.

millere5815

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Good choice of name. If you haven't already, you should for sure keep watching the new doctors.

As for fuel economy, I know if you have an instant read out of your MPG, paying attention to it can really help you in the right mindset of saving fuel. I watch mine all the time on my torque app, and I can only imagine how my economy would drop if i didn't use it all the time. I am also a member of Ecomodder forum, which helps you consistently track your MPG. I know many people also like Fuelly, which I have not yet signed up for.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I agree with those who say it's much too early for the OP to assess mileage. Wait until 10K minimum. And use Fuelly (see below) as opposed to trying to figure mileage from the dash computer. Pencil and paper (which is what Fuelly is, minus the pencil and paper) wins every time.

As for our Passat, we have made absolutely no attempt to break in, and we drive exactly the way we've always driven (limit in town, 10 over on 2-lane highways, 75 max on Interstates, using cruise control wherever we can). We are nearly at 20K, and on average exceeding the EPA rated highway mileage for this car. I'd say we're extremely satisfied.

That being said, there's no question that the biggest and easiest difference most people can make in their mileage is their speed. There are graphs on this forum that lay it out with crystal clarity just how much extra fuel is consumed as speed increases. The numbers don't lie.

The second biggest change many people can make is to watch traffic ahead, slowing down (I don't use the word "coast" advisedly here, I mean take right foot off gas pedal) in advance when it's obvious that a traffic slowdown or a stop sign or stoplight is coming up. Yes, you'll probably have some idiot on your bumper for the last few hundred yards, because many people come up to these situations and just stand on the brakes. As has been pointed out here, this wastes fuel and is hard on the brakes and other components of the vehicle*.

*What is now our second car is a 2004 SAAB 9-5 wagon with 165K on it. It has had one (1) set of front brake pads in all those miles. No calipers, no rotors, no nothing. That's it.

NC TDIpilot

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 5M, Group 0
Definitely use Fuelly to track your mileage/tank. As has been previously mentioned, monitor your driving style and adjust where you can. There are a lot of tips on this website to help you maximize your car's economy. One thing that helped my car was to have one of the tuners re-program your car's fuel map. I chose Green Diesel Engineering (GDE) and my 06 Jetta went from an average of 43mpg to an average of 50+mpg.
Bottom line is to enjoy your car. A diesel VW is a fantastic piece of engineering!!