First Build

Smkhzrd

TDI
Golf
Hey guy's I am new to TDI but not new to Diesels. I have a Cummins 5.9 that's around 1200hp+. Just got a 2004 1.9 Golf Pd 5 Speed. Looking for 200-300hp. Car has 170k on it. Golf is Bone stock Right now.

Questions:

Is this a attainable Goal on stock Motor?
Can stock intercooler Handle this Hp?
Can the Tranny Hold This Power?

Any other input is Appreciated

Build list So far:

Cam: Colt stage 2

Clutch: Stage 3 South Bend

Injectors: Still toss up.... Thinking Bosio 783 Pumpe Duse DLC Race nozzles

Turbo: Garrett 17/22

Headstuds

Exhaust: Any Recommendations

Tuneing: Malone

Running a Cts for gauges.

Thanks Aaron

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
you would probably want to run stud for those kind of power levels.. as i am unsure of how strong the stock PD studs are around 200hp.. but you would probably max at 180ish with a vnt17 if my memory recalls.. i would highly recommend you go with a GTB2056VK or GTB2060VKLR

Smkhzrd

TDI
Golf
you would probably want to run stud for those kind of power levels.. as i am unsure of how strong the stock PD studs are around 200hp.. but you would probably max at 180ish with a vnt17 if my memory recalls.. i would highly recommend you go with a GTB2056VK or GTB2060VKLR
You mean Headstuds?

What size are those turbo's and where can I go to look at them? How are DD Ability of those? Price as well? Will these turbos fit with out any Modifications?
Thanks

Last edited:

mrspindlelegs

TDI
Golf TDI, 2004, Reflex Silver
Questions:

Is this a attainable Goal on stock Motor?

You can achieve that power output but the connecting rods will be at their limit when hitting 200 HP. Go with upgraded rods (Rosten).

Can stock intercooler Handle this Hp?

Might be doable but I would upgrade this too.

Can the Tranny Hold This Power?

If I remember correctly, the final drive gear is coupled to the differential via large rivets. These rivets are known to shear-off when power output gets up around 200 HP. Thus, need to replace the rivets with strong bolts at a minimum. If you do this, it's best to upgrade the differential to a Peloquin ATB unit (at a minimum).

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
That cam without headwork is a waste of $$$, don't bother. Or spend the $$$ on headwork while you're at it, your choice.

That 17/22 is going to be at the end of its efficient range at 200hp, you'll want to go bigger.. 2260.

300hp reliable HP? Ain't happening.. Be happy with 200whp and you won't spend more then that car is worth in upgrades.

You definitely want a FMIC at those power levels.

-zamppa-

TDI
Audi Allroad 4BH V6 TDI/6M, Compound charged Golf 3 AHU, Passat 3B5 TDi 4motion, Typ1 & 636B
GTB2260VK would be nice choice for you. Not quite much boost needed if only 200hp requested, but still capable to do 300hp if(=when) you are not satisfied for 200hp.

Update your clutch, injectors (PD130&PD150 for 200hp, if you want more then something bigger), FMIC and boostpipes and you are ready for 200hp setup. When you are at 250hp and you want still more, you can start thinking about updated camshaft and a head porting also. If your engine is in good basic condition you don't need to open it or rebuild any internals for 200hp. Dont waste your money for conrods and pistons if you are not going well over 300hp/600Nm.

You maybe have to update your tranny to 02M. It depends how much you want low end torque.

Last edited: