High beams not working?

jwp175

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 & 2010 Jetta
Jack ... I messed with my stalk a couple of times and couldn't resolve the issue. I ended up finding a used stalk on CL ... swapped it out and that fixed my issue.

jwp

Jackilus

TDI
His: 03 Candyweiss 2dr Golf, Hers: 2K Black Jetta
OK this is weird, but after ignoring the problem for awhile (i just pulled back to use HBs when needed), eventually the high beams stopped working altogether. So i just replaced the bulbs and all is good. The HB filament on both bulbs was cleanly broken on both sides. Explain that!

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
The 02 had a similar issue. DS high beam would not work so I switched it for the pass side and neither worked!.
Switched em back and they both worked and then the DS bulb went out.
Turned out the DS bulb had a filament that was broken but still touching the other end and it finally burned out after I had handled and switched it twice.
A new bulb cured all.

bradkeskey

TDI
2002 TDI Jetta Cat5 T5s EGR Delete 2002 TDI Jetta Bone Stock 95K
I had similar problems with my 02 so figured I would add in my temporary
FIX. My High beams intermittently stopped working, low beams fine, flash to pass ok. Eventually no Hi beams, flash to pass intermittent to eventually nothing. Checked and swapped with known good bulbs. Tried a different headlight switch. Checked fuses. No luck. I bought a can of electrical connector cleaner, gave a few shots in there and and bam,working. I know it might be temporary but it definitely pinpointed my problem, bad connections in the stalk.

Hatchet Ratchet

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
I hoping someone still is monitoring this thread on their alerts.

i have a problem that's been developing to more frequent and consistent.

with lights on, switch to Hi-beam, hi beam works, come along meet another car, switch back to lo-beam, the whole dash display, lo-beam, tail lights, the works dies and goes dark. Flip back hi beams, all display and tail lights and hi beams come on. now the funny part - turn off headlamps, daytime running lights come on, and tail lights are out in this mode anyway, this shuts off the hi-beam.

What component is wore out, what is it called, and how can i replace it?

Thank you.

Jlaasf

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
I know this is old, but worthwhile update. This happened to me last night (the night before a 750 km drive!). Tried new bulbs since that's happened to me before in another car. No luck.

Tried some DeOxit in the stalk and gave it a work out. Voila! I have low beams again.

FYI - I had high beams without DRL or low's.