DLC 1019's

pro5utah

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI
I am looking for someone who has these nozzles installed and can give me some feedback. I am looking at possibly doing nozzles now and a tune down the road a bit and later in life (a couple years probably) picking up more items (possibly a turbo and some other things).

I have talked to Paul at Kerma and he said that this is a good solid nozzle and actually would probably improve fuel economy at my current point. I am pretty sure that a hammer mod would be needed to get the IQ to the right levels (right?)?

Anyhow, does anyone have these nozzles and can give me some feedback?

Thanks!

morphous_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, Frank06 Stage 2, Malone Stage 2 Custom, and PD140 Turbo
Nozzles

I also am looking to do a tune and nozzles. Can people post there tune / nozzle combos for consideration.

So many nozzles on the market is making this tricky.

Morph

sweetjeep

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
I am 99% certain I just installed these. KMH motors obtained and installed them for me, but all indicators tell me this is what I got.

I like them, but they are upgraded over stock.. so.. I don't know.

What I CAN say:

They have been installed for about 200 miles so far. Power is really reasonable. It might be better than I think, it's been raining since I got the car home.

My path of upgrades looks like this:

11mm pump (10mm died, so I upgraded). This offered a noticeable bump.
Kerma tune (Q-loader). Again, a very noticeable bump.

I'd speculate these 2 mods got me to right about 110 hp. The clutch didn't slip for about 2k miles, they it started randomly slipping. With 200k miles, I expected this.

Called the shop, had the VR6 installed and bought the nozzles at the same time. I was going for the Sprint 520s and Keith talked me into the DLCs as supposedly being about the same power at the S520s but less smoke and better mileage due to the better spray pattern. The DLC is, in theory, key to help the nozzles survive the low sulfur fuel. Whatever.. he didn't have to talk me hard for the upgrade as the price was reasonable to bump. I also had the injectors rebuilt by DriveByWire. Again, 200k miles.

The power increase with the nozzles is quite noticeable.
Smoke is also quite increased.

Before I'd get smoke that other people could see a fair bit. But not that I could see. It took a good 9/10th+ throttle input before I could see the smoke. Now, I'd say about a 3/4 maybe less input and I'm smoking pretty hard.

Mileage, so far, has gotten SLIGHTLY better. Keeping in mind it's been rainy but I have been perfectly happy to "ensure the new clutch isn't slipping". :)

I'm also still awaiting my new tune from Kerma, which I expect another decent power bump and perhaps a little more smoke. I don't know.

I am not sure what's next for me, I suspect a turbo is in my near future. I am in process of building an intercooler sprayer to help kill some of this smoke/get a tiny power bump at 3/4+ throttle.

Regardless.. the answer to the question on the nozzles is: so far so good. I am not exactly your best test case, but this is my experience!

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Adjust your IQ up a bit.

Once you get your tune, adjust the IQ until you have a light haze at full throttle. The tune will help by giving you a bit more boost to raise those combustion pressures and burn the fuel a bit quicker.

Keep in mind the following:

IQ less than 2.8 = Conflict with the Smooth Idle control (it also prevents over-run by not allowing a complete shut off of the fuel by way of control collar)
IQ more than 9.5 = Conflict with load control and slow(er) starting.

Ideally, with flows set correctly, I always shoot for a 6.2 IQ using the hammer mod to put you right in the middle of these two conflicts in the software and the pumps physical operating ranges.

The 11mm pump really increases your flow potential! That alone with these injectors nets you at minimum of another 10-15hp on top of what you would have had otherwise with a 10mm.

I always try to undershoot peak flow on the Automatics to limit peak torque. I can hit a a no smoke condition and the cars still pull very strong with a stock ECU.

Keep us posted when you get the tune. If you still have more smoke than you would like I can take it down a notch or two and trades some smoke for fuel economy beyond what you are already seeing no charge including shipping and seals.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
If those DLC1091's are anything like the PP764's then go for it, best thing I ever did to my car with the rest standard, I got Drivbi to set them up and can truly say they're amazing, absolutely loving them.:D

sweetjeep

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
DBW: I got the tune last night/this morning, but I haven't run it yet.

I did a couple pulls on the existing hardware and, though it feels great, the thing is still terribly slow. Granted, it's worlds better than stock, and frankly, this is the way the thing should have been delivered from the factory.

I pulled off a coupe mid to high 8 second 0-60 runs. My launch technique isn't too hot and I am very likely holding first too long. I can feel the motor going flat around 4500 rpm or so and by then it's too late to salvage the run. Either way I am pretty disappointed.

If the new tune can shave a LITTLE off.. well then I can smile maybe. ;) If I can get into the 7s AND still get 45 mpg I'll be a damn happy camper!

sweetjeep

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Do a search on here for KMH motors and shoot Keith a message. He's the guy who suggested and installed mine. I'd imagine he'll be happy to talk to you about them.

He's a good guy and does great work!

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Probably better going with the PP764's, they can flow a bit more. Other option is the hiflo=x from the UK, .240's or that. The guy at project power does them, just drop him an email.

http://www.project-power.co.uk/

SuperAdellic

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Yes, depending on the power you are looking for. I'm currently running 1019s on a stock engine with just a hammer mod to set the iq higher. Runs quite well and it's a noticeable jump in power over stock. I have a custom turbo in the works, along with a tune and other supporting mods, then I'm going to see how far these nozzles can go.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
Any updates from those who have 1019s and otherwise stock? Especially fuel efficiency, smoke, hp increase, and what level / how (VCDS, hammer, both?) you ended up setting your IQ?

turbophil

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta TDI 5 speed
I ran my DLC1019 stock for about 4 months with a kerma tune on stock vnt15 turbo. Everything was perfect, no smoke and I was averaging 46 mpg hwy/city driving.
I'm now running a S7 turbo with the same nozzles and still no problem. I have put on over 28000 miles on these nozzles without any issue whatsoever. I recommend doing the "hot swap" deal with Kerma if they still offer it.

CourierGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf(Summer) 2003 Golf(Winter)
I am looking for someone who has these nozzles installed and can give me some feedback. I am looking at possibly doing nozzles now and a tune down the road a bit and later in life (a couple years probably) picking up more items (possibly a turbo and some other things).
I have talked to Paul at Kerma and he said that this is a good solid nozzle and actually would probably improve fuel economy at my current point. I am pretty sure that a hammer mod would be needed to get the IQ to the right levels (right?)?
Anyhow, does anyone have these nozzles and can give me some feedback?
Thanks!
As per my sig, I run these nozzles, and a bunch more mods. I went modest, as I want reliability, and reasonable mpgs. I could of gotten a larger turbo/nozzle setup, but again, I want my motor to last a while... My feedback... ummm... I call my car "retarded" :)

I upgraded everything in one shot at 311000km on my 2002 Golf. I'm up to 368000km, 7months later. All is well. Mpg's are pretty much the same as a stock ALH. Even if I hammer the car around all day, in the city, with AC, my mpgs are still on par with stock. However, the fun factor is quadrupled.

Smoke wise... on WOT on launches... I leave a hazy floating cloud of prius repellent behind me. At night time, it's hilarious as cars behind me drive through it. If I don't goose the fuel pedal, smoke is little to none. I run a bunch of additives with fill ups, been experimenting with a few variations. I could also (partly)attribute my smoke to oil consumption - pre mods, I burned NO oil between changes. After mods, I eat 1L of oil / 2500km of driving. Regardless of how hard/easy I am on the right foot. Oil is cheap. No visible oil leaks. Car runs as it should.. so I just top up every 2nd day.

I can't compare these nozzles to others, as I have not used any others. However, I am completely satisfied. No regrets whatsoever. The heart of ALHs are the pump and injectors. Oh, and good fuel .. just like us ... garbage in, garbage out.

panthers89fan90

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI
Hopefully your fuel mileage will be better than mine. Still no clue why it's so low. The only thing I can think of are my 225/50/17 tires. Was getting 45-50 before tires. Now getting 35-39. Kind of pisses me off.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I got a great deal on a set of used PP764's set up DBW and I could not be happier with the performance gain. I am still running a Stage 3 tune set up for .205's and a vnt-15, so I still have 18 PSI, but I can't wait until I get my Stage 4 tune installed to really see what my turbo and these nozzles can do.

djrhetoric

Veteran Member
TDI
80 Rabbit pickup MTDI
Hopefully your fuel mileage will be better than mine. Still no clue why it's so low. The only thing I can think of are my 225/50/17 tires. Was getting 45-50 before tires. Now getting 35-39. Kind of pisses me off.
I've had DLC1019s for 5 years and 110,000 miles on a stock setup, Stage 1.5 setup and a Stage 4 setup. The car also had a 0.658 5th added the same week as the nozzles. Here are my overall observations...

Stock w/ DLC1019:
Light smoking at WOT, even with IQ set to 6.5. Slight decrease in overall fuel economy. 36-40 city and 40-47 highway depending on speed.

Stage 1.5 w/ DLC1019:
Light haze at WOT with IQ set at 4. Slight fuel economy bump for highway driving. City mileage stayed the same.

Stage 4 (DLC1019, VNT17, SMIC upgrade, 2.5" exhaust):
Light haze at WOT with IQ set at 4. Slight fuel economy bump for highway driving. City mileage down if getting on the throttle more.

Speed vs. Mileage observations:

65-69: 48-50+
70-75: 42-47
76-80: 39-41

Each car is different, but I still am not sure how some claim 50+ MPG going 75+ MPH that also includes city driving. I've never achieved that with this vehicle.

Other thoughts:
Wheels and tires definitely make a difference. Running 195/65-15 got me the best mileage in stock form with the DLC1019s. I have been running 215/50-17 tires since the tail end of the stock phase and if I have to do ANY city driving, mileage drops. If I was able to do an 800+ mile tank at 70 MPH I could see 50 MPG or more, but my tanks always involve city or short trips. I correct for the size difference with an app I use and have close about 90k miles worth of fuel economy tracking info. My best has been 50 even and my worst has been 34. I always fill to the exact same place at the top of the fuel filler neck so I know my fuel fills are accurate.

If I had a set of 15" wheels with summer tires, I bet the Stage 4 setup would give me a better average as the weight of the 17s just kills the around town driving. I don't think it would change highway too much, but it would definitely help with the city aspects.

Now, would I change what I've done? Nope. I enjoy the power when I need it and the fuel economy is amazing, even with a fully loaded down car.

Hope this is a good comparison for others. :cool:

panthers89fan90

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the info djrhetoric. I completely agree about the claims of getting 50 mpg going 75+ mph. Just not possible unless you have a different 5th gear. On a stock 5th gear, no way is that happening... For anybody!

I drive between 70 and 80. I'm going to slow it down for a week and report my numbers back. My tires and egr delete probably cover most of my mpg loss.

djrhetoric

Veteran Member
TDI
80 Rabbit pickup MTDI
Thanks for the info djrhetoric. I completely agree about the claims of getting 50 mpg going 75+ mph. Just not possible unless you have a different 5th gear. On a stock 5th gear, no way is that happening... For anybody!

I drive between 70 and 80. I'm going to slow it down for a week and report my numbers back. My tires and egr delete probably cover most of my mpg loss.
I have a 0.658 5th and it gained me nothing in the MPG category. I can't say how it would have performed with a completely stock setup, though, as I added it at the same time I did the DLC nozzles on the stock tune and have had it ever since.

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
TDIs are fuel throttled, very efficient and fuel consumption is very closely related to torque required to push the car down the road. Therefore the amount of fuel required to maintain X speed does not change much with a minor change in RPM that taller 5th gear yields. You do decrease friction at lower RPMs but that has a very minor overall effect on FE. That's why a taller 5th nets little to nothing for FE improvement with all else remaining constant. FE IS very affected by aerodynamics though with wind resistance increasing by the square of your speed.

Long story short, taller gears are nice for lowering cabin noise. But, slowing down is where it's at for increasing FE.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
A few years ago cross country trip I was running a stage 3 tune with 205 nozzles and consistently got 52 miles to the gallon at 75 miles per hour. 52 is easy on the highway when you're not stopping for anything though.

panthers89fan90

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI

A few years ago cross country trip I was running a stage 3 tune with 205 nozzles and consistently got 52 miles to the gallon at 75 miles per hour. 52 is easy on the highway when you're not stopping for anything though.
Must have been a trip through the midwest where everything is flat. No way you got that on the coast where it's hilly. Stories like yours just don't make sense.

bigkahuna360

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI, 2011 BMW 335d Stage 2
Must have been a trip through the midwest where everything is flat. No way you got that on the coast where it's hilly. Stories like yours just don't make sense.
Not that far off from the truth though. I just went from southern Minnesota all the way to Portland, Oregon last February and averaged 45MPG going 80-90MPH with three people and a fully loaded car. The timing was retarded as hell too. If I had done my timing before the trip, I'm sure we would have gotten 48+.

Eager to see how my car does once I get a set of 1019's, tune, and 6 speed addon.

djrhetoric

Veteran Member
TDI
80 Rabbit pickup MTDI
Not that far off from the truth though. I just went from southern Minnesota all the way to Portland, Oregon last February and averaged 45MPG going 80-90MPH with three people and a fully loaded car. The timing was retarded as hell too. If I had done my timing before the trip, I'm sure we would have gotten 48+.

Eager to see how my car does once I get a set of 1019's, tune, and 6 speed addon.
One thing I have noticed with my car is that it tends to get slightly better mileage when the car is loaded down more. There must be something about making the engine work a little bit to put it in 'the zone' for fuel economy.

panthers89fan90

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI

From Reno to Tulsa and back if it actually matters. Don't be an an a$$ pfan.
What leads you to believe I'm being an ass? I'm genuinely curious how people do it. I live on the east coast and I think my mileage suffers from the hilly terrain here.

I would love someone to chime in here and see what mileage someone gets in a more mountainous or hilly area.

bigkahuna360

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI, 2011 BMW 335d Stage 2
One thing I have noticed with my car is that it tends to get slightly better mileage when the car is loaded down more. There must be something about making the engine work a little bit to put it in 'the zone' for fuel economy.
I can't say for you, but I'm sure we only got 40MPG+ is because we only stopped for gas. We didn't take any breaks or anything. My buddy drove for a day and a half straight! :O