New nozzles and IQ question.

Grampa "J"

TDI
2001 TDI GLS
Okay so I recently installed new 502's from Bora parts and love the increase in power. In fact I was more than a little surprised how the car has come alive with just one mod. The car is a 2001 Jetta with the dreaded automatic. After installing the nozzles I quickly realized that my neigbors were not anywhere as thrilled as I was about my new found secret that is plainly and painfully revealed by a huge column of smoke exiting the exhaust pie. :eek::eek: I have watched many times when I pull away from a stop light and people will drop back a 1/4 mile or more. It's that bad.

And so I cleaned the intake to make sure that we can all the air into the engine and so today I hooked up VCDS. I was thinking that a hammer mod was on the way when... I read 5.8 - 6 mg/st at idle with a hot engine (100c)
I tried 32763 to see what would happen and I even tried 32772 and while that smoked a bit more I am still way over the line and my mileage is horrible even when not using the power. And a trail of black smoke everywhere I go even when taking it easy.

I have a new MAF installed and everything else seems in good shape. So what is the experience of others? What IQ is typical when it comes to installing larger nozzles? After all if I remember these nozzles flow some 60% or more over stock. I have decided that I will be getting a tune in a couple of months but in the meantime I need to keep my neighbors happy :D And I would like to learn more too ;)

thank you for any insight

Grampa"J"

Last edited:

flatlanded

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
You might have to take the IQ higher than that. A tune will also help.

The auto's have a larger injection pump. Combine that with bigger nozzles and you'll have smoke, followed by 01M problems.

Grampa "J"

TDI
2001 TDI GLS
Raise the IQ until the neighbours stop complaining :)
LOL.... Okay that sounds like good advise ROF... I just thought that it was odd that my IQ was already at about 6 and it sounded like I better check with those who have experience before I go any further ;)

Well... sounds like the hammer mod is next since 32763 was not enough.

Grampa"J"

Grampa "J"

TDI
2001 TDI GLS
You might have to take the IQ higher than that. A tune will also help.

The auto's have a larger injection pump. Combine that with bigger nozzles and you'll have smoke, followed by 01M problems.
LOL... yup. I have a buddy of mine keeping his eyes open for me on the 5 speed. When I cleaned the intake manifold I port matched it and modded the egr valve housing so that it flows a lot better. Believe it or not there is a lot of room to make that flow much better than stock without having to go to the old man intake. And you can still have egr if you want. :D
Now I wished that I took pictures.

ahh... hey my son is in Saskatoon... Nice winters there ;):cool: well maybe not lol but there is always hockey night in Canada. Must be 15 years since I played hockey, great game.

Grampa"J"

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
Is your turbo operating completely as in can the actuator completely operate the vanes from 5-18"Hg smoothly? I had a turbo on a former automatic that would not fully open. Lots of smoke. Your 5.8-6 is pretty typical although you could try a higher setting. As mentioned above, with that pump, a good tune might be in order.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
The tuners always want to know if you're running a 10 or 11 pump so it's got to be integrated into a proper tune. My ALH won't hardly start or idle right until the IQ is within a few tenths of optimal. Sometimes I have to play with the hammer mod longer than I like to get it right. Once it's right, I can't release the starter switch position fast enough!

Danarm

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta TDI, 2X 01 Jetta TDI, 01 Golf TDI,06 Jetta TDI.
Help with car

I can help you with your car. I have VCDS and all the tools.
I also have a complete 5spd, if interested.
Dan:D

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
You tried 32763? Stock is 32768, so move it in gross increments to see how it responds, you're not moving it enough.

I would expect an IQ of 7-9 with nozzles that big on the stock turbo and tune (not to mention the 11mm IP), you're pushing a lot of fuel now and the car can't burn all of it efficiently.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
My experience is the iq adjustment in the software is only good for stock components.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
I did just nozzles on mine when I got her, smoked and mpg went down big time, got a Malone tune and all is well.

3turboz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL Wolfsberg
You tried 32763? Stock is 32768, so move it in gross increments to see how it responds, you're not moving it enough.

I would expect an IQ of 7-9 with nozzles that big on the stock turbo and tune (not to mention the 11mm IP), you're pushing a lot of fuel now and the car can't burn all of it efficiently.
What is the lowest number VCDS will accept? Seems like it would not let me save anything lower than 32645, which gave me an IQ of 7.8

To the OP, did you have your injectors calibrated? What is the injector balance looking like?

Last edited:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
It will only allow you to go so far. If you can't change the number, you hit the limit.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
That's why the next step is the hammer-mod. If you go too high (lean) on the IQ, at some point you'll get starting issues. If that occurs, time to go back to the rich side until the problem resolves. Then you've hit the limit. Software limits are 32645-32784.

I guess I should add that between the software/hammer-mod you should be able to get the car pretty much smoke free. If not, it's time to re-evaluate your current nozzles or... get a bigger turbo! A proper tune will also fix the problem.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
What are these nozzles? 502 what? Bosio? Titan? What's the hole size?

If your IQ is already at 6 and you're smoking a lot, and if your car is in good shape otherwise (good boost, timing set correctly), than I think you have the wrong nozzles in the car. On a stock automatic I would be wary of anything larger than a .216, or a PowerPlus 520, which is nominally a .205 but flows more fuel than a similar size 4 hole nozzle.

I have always been hard-pressed to understand the value of putting nozzles in a car that are so large that you have to raise the IQ to levels that Bosch never intended to control smoke. If the mechanical parts of the car are properly selected it should provide low smoke and good FE with the IQ at 3.0 or so.

If you don't want to buy different nozzles perhaps a tune that will reduce some of the fuel flow is your best option.