My stick shift broke off!

dalchri

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle
Wondering what my options are. I would very much like to avoid disconnecting the exhaust to remove the entire shift assembly if possible. To confirm, the gasser and TDI beetle shifters are identical, right?

If I do end up having to disconnect the exhaust, I'll probably be faced with drilling the studs out of the exhaust manifold right?

Chunkerz

Veteran Member
TDI
'99.5 Golf
Yes, the gasser shift cable are exactly the same. To remove the exhaust you won't have to drill out anything. There are 3 copper nuts that hold the down pipe to the turbo that come off fairly easily. When I removed my exhaust, one of the studs came out of the turbo. I used this as an excuse to upgrade my turbo :)D), so I don't know how difficult it is to remove a nut from the stud and then reinstall the stud. Make sure you replace the gasket between the turbo/down pipe with a new one. It wouldn't hurt to put some anti-seize on the threads, either.

Last edited:

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
yeah, just installed a new downpipe last night , 18ftlbs is more like it

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Um......you are right about the 18 ft lbs or lightly hand tight but you disconnect the exhaust at the coupler behind the cat......Soooo that has nothing to do with this job.

Pull the heat shields out and the go to the interior and drop the 4 13mm nuts after you pull the trim.

You guys need to stop giving out information that is incorrect here. Look in the Bentley if you're not sure.

dalchri

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle
So I'll be able to get the downpipe far enough out of the way without disconnecting from the exhaust manifold. That is good news.

I think I may be able to replace the broken part without pulling the shift box though. I was able to extract this from the car topside.

Does anyone know...

If I just replace what is shown above, what is compatible? Which years and can I use golf, jetta, etc... parts?

If I replace the entire shift box, does that change the answer?

Thanks for the info guys!

jasonTDI

TDI
You need the early style unit. I can't tell you if you can get that part alone. But frankly you can get an entire unit for $50-70 from a salvage yard.

Someone drive that car that dosen't like you? NEVER have I seen that happen unless someone slam-shifts the crap out of it.

dalchri

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle
Let me tell you, I had to drill a second bolt hole into the shift box when I got the car because the PO had fatigued the metal to the point that it broke off in the back. It was flapping around only held up in the front. There was also plastic shrapnel littering the bottom of the shift box from the plastic bushings that line all the moving parts.

The clutch was dragging causing hard shifts. I'd hate to see what my synchros look like.

Do you happen to know the year or model range for the early unit?

Thanks again for the help!

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Maybe you bought it from the guy who was putting 3' semi style shifters in their Jetta because they thought it looked cool.

Chunkerz

Veteran Member
TDI
'99.5 Golf
I think that number is incorrect. Try 18 ft lbs torque. Thank you Steve
Is it 18? When I installed my turbo I remember torquing something to 64 foot pounds. I guess it wasn't the nuts on the down pipe... Sorry about that :eek: :mad:

jasonTDI

TDI
It is most definitely 18ft lbs.