Just put 1 quart of wrong oil in car

bookdiva

TDI
2005 VW Golf tdi
Okay, here is what I posted last night:

I have been having trouble with stalling. Car starts fine (garage heated to 50 degrees) and then when I drive for a few minutes car stalls and has to be cranked for 20 - 30 seconds to restart, then immediately stalls again when shift is moved. Last time this happened I spent 20 minutes trying to restart car. I use Stanadyne and this is my first winter with this car, which I bought used in March. Changed the fuel filter today and the deisel looked clear. Sometimes the car drives fine and then I have trouble with the next restart. After reading on this forum I decided to listen for the lift pump. I flipped the seat up, took off the cover and turned the key so that the glowplug light comes on-heard nothing.
I should also mention that the local (Warsaw, Indiana) hot shot foreign car repair shop in the area replaced my glowplugs right after I got the car because it threw the code for faulty 2 and 4 plugs. A week later when I discovered the glowplug recall mess on this forum and my car blinked the check engine light again, I returned to hot shot repair and they said. lets replace wiring harness and you need new programing for the glowplugs. $200 for harness and $300 for new program. I asked, "What glowplugs did you install in my car-ceramic or metal?" Service manager tells me he does not know and can't find out. When I say, "Without knowing the type of plug how are you going to give me the right program?" He tells me he doesn't need to know the type of plug to install the program. I never darkened their door again. I sprayed some decorrosion stuff in the #2 glowplug harnes spot and put some di-electric (spelling?) grease in there and no more check engine light for 7 months.
But back to the stalling. I am not a mechanic, but I am game, if I have good instructions. I can replace some parts. I've done a water pump and windshield wiper motor on an 1990 s-10; rebuilt the carberator on my Volare station wagon. Is this a job for a rookie? And also, is there a mechanic this forum trusts within a 1.5 hour drive from me?
I should also mention that the stalling seems to start when the tank is 1/3 to 1/2 empty.

Now for the real bad news. I asked my dear husband (dh) to got get me a fuel filter and a quart of oil at NAPA. He went to Autozone to save time and brought back the wrong oil (told by Autozone liar that this was the sam stuff--Castrol Syntec) and placed it in the back of my car (I always carry an extra quart no matter what car I drive.)
Wnen the car stalled at the end of my street the oil light came on and dinged. I walked home and got my dh he pulled the quart of oil and asked how much and I replied the whole quart, so in it went. Later realized I should have checked level. Now there is WAY to much oil in my car. The car has not been started since extra oil was added although I did ONE ATTEMPT TO START ENGINE AND CRANKED IT FOR ABOUT 20 SECONDS.

So, here are the questions:

I want to drain the oil, but I dont have a torque wrench for the engine cover.

Would draining the oil and changing the filter be enough?

Was the attempt to start the engine a problem?

Is shooting the liar at Autozone ladylike behavior?

Is there anyone out there who makes emergency tdi housecalls.

Where is a good mechanic this forum trusts that is within 1.5 hours of me in Warsaw, IN.

hgsmith

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
I would change the oil and oil filter, with the correct oil. I do not think you need a torque wrench for your engine cover, but I do not have any experience with a 2005. If you do not hear a sound from your pump you have a problem getting fuel to your engine. Do you have an engine light on with your glow plug ? If so you would need vcds to read the code, It might be your crank shaft sensor. If so it is easy to change, but you would need vcds to make sure it is that code.

Last edited:

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Sure drain and refill. don't worry about the leftover. Also why do you need a torque wrench for the engine cover? I didn't know it was bolted down. Even if it was you don't need a torque wrench. You might be a bit too anal :D

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
I would change the oil and filter ASAP with the correct oil. I would do it without a torque wrench, if I were you (actually I don't have one and I do oil changes myself). Be sure not to overtighten anything.

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
bookdiva said:

I want to drain the oil, but I don't have a torque wrench for the engine cover.
You don't need really need a torque wrench for the plastic engine cover nuts. Just a hand tight + 1/4-1/2 turn (45-90 deg.)

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
If you put in one quart of 5w-40 Syntec (which is a VW 502.00/505.00 oil), I wouldn't completely drain the crankcase. I'd just syphon a quart of oil out if the dipstick tube, or from the dipstick (with a cold engine) and be done with it.

TS

Last edited:

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you put in one quart of 5w-40 Syntec (which is a VW 502.00/505.00 oil), I wouldn't completely drain the crankcase. I'd just syphon a quart of oil out if the dipstick tube, or from the desultory (with a cold engine) and be done with it.

TS
Doesn't the oil mix?

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
The point I was trying to make is that the VW 505.00 and VW 505.01 Specs are pretty close. Both are based around the generic ACEA A3/B4 spec and then add specific VW/Audi engine tests. One quart of VW 505.00 oil is not going to cause your PD to fail, in fact I'd be more concerned about over-filling the sump by a quart. Which is what I was addressing in my previous post.

TS

RalphVa

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I'd be inclined to use an oil extractor to remove one quart if you're way too full and don't worry about it. If not much overfull, don't worry about it.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
Okay, here is what I posted last night:

I have been having trouble with stalling. Car starts fine (garage heated to 50 degrees) and then when I drive for a few minutes car stalls and has to be cranked for 20 - 30 seconds to restart, then immediately stalls again when shift is moved. Last time this happened I spent 20 minutes trying to restart car. I use Stanadyne and this is my first winter with this car, which I bought used in March. Changed the fuel filter today and the deisel looked clear. Sometimes the car drives fine and then I have trouble with the next restart. After reading on this forum I decided to listen for the lift pump. I flipped the seat up, took off the cover and turned the key so that the glowplug light comes on-heard nothing.
I should also mention that the local (Warsaw, Indiana) hot shot foreign car repair shop in the area replaced my glowplugs right after I got the car because it threw the code for faulty 2 and 4 plugs. A week later when I discovered the glowplug recall mess on this forum and my car blinked the check engine light again, I returned to hot shot repair and they said. lets replace wiring harness and you need new programing for the glowplugs. $200 for harness and $300 for new program. I asked, "What glowplugs did you install in my car-ceramic or metal?" Service manager tells me he does not know and can't find out. When I say, "Without knowing the type of plug how are you going to give me the right program?" He tells me he doesn't need to know the type of plug to install the program. I never darkened their door again. I sprayed some decorrosion stuff in the #2 glowplug harnes spot and put some di-electric (spelling?) grease in there and no more check engine light for 7 months.
But back to the stalling. I am not a mechanic, but I am game, if I have good instructions. I can replace some parts. I've done a water pump and windshield wiper motor on an 1990 s-10; rebuilt the carberator on my Volare station wagon. Is this a job for a rookie? And also, is there a mechanic this forum trusts within a 1.5 hour drive from me?
I should also mention that the stalling seems to start when the tank is 1/3 to 1/2 empty.

Now for the real bad news. I asked my dear husband (dh) to got get me a fuel filter and a quart of oil at NAPA. He went to Autozone to save time and brought back the wrong oil (told by Autozone liar that this was the sam stuff--Castrol Syntec) and placed it in the back of my car (I always carry an extra quart no matter what car I drive.)
Wnen the car stalled at the end of my street the oil light came on and dinged. I walked home and got my dh he pulled the quart of oil and asked how much and I replied the whole quart, so in it went. Later realized I should have checked level. Now there is WAY to much oil in my car. The car has not been started since extra oil was added although I did ONE ATTEMPT TO START ENGINE AND CRANKED IT FOR ABOUT 20 SECONDS.

I want to drain the oil, but I dont have a torque wrench for the engine cover.

Would draining the oil and changing the filter be enough?

Was the attempt to start the engine a problem?

Is shooting the liar at Autozone ladylike behavior?

Is there anyone out there who makes emergency tdi housecalls.

Where is a good mechanic this forum trusts that is within 1.5 hours of me in Warsaw, IN.
Welcome to the tdiclub. Check out MoGolf or Growler in the Columbus, Ohio area for the tuff stuff. Does not seem too tuff for what you are reporting though. Personally, you need to get a vcds to scan your car and see if you have any codes thrown (vcds will show more then a generic obd2 scanner).

I would focus on how long your glow plugs are staying on (with the Ohio temperatures being similar, more then 10 seconds --- I never really clocked it, but it seems like they are on forever). All things being equal, slow starts usually point to a bad coolant sensor or a weak battery (If your battery is original it probably needs replaced; if it is an aftermarket battery make sure it is a 94R battery or oem vw replacement battery --- anything else is junk IMHO).

Personally, I would not worry about the one wrong quart of oil (and no, draining a quart is not helpful :rolleyes: for the genius that suggested that).

TDS

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS & 2003 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins
IMO draining a quart certainly has some merit.....
Partial Quote from OP
"Wnen the car stalled at the end of my street the oil light came on and dinged. I walked home and got my dh he pulled the quart of oil and asked how much and I replied the whole quart, so in it went. Later realized I should have checked level. Now there is WAY to much oil in my car."
Partial quote from Too Slick aka "genius"
"One quart of VW 505.00 oil is not going to cause your PD to fail, in fact I'd be more concerned about over-filling the sump by a quart. Which is what I was addressing in my previous post."
Tom

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I did a TB job on a 2003 TDI Jetta Wagon back in September....the car had just under 120k miles on it.... with the original TB, etc. I also cleaned the Intake (plugged pretty bad).

Anyway, in discussing maintenance on the vehicle, I learned the dude had been using the WRONG OIL for 7 years and almost 120k miles. He had been using REGULAR DINO 15w-40 for the big-rig diesels! I've seen similar situations with other TDIs.

One quart of the "wrong oil" is not going to destroy your engine...that's all a bunch of BS. Also, I seriously doubt being one quart over-full is going to be a problem either.

You do need to find a guru to solve the starting issues!

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
I seriously doubt being one quart over-full is going to be a problem either.

Maybe not maybe yes. I would drain it myself. If it was not needed, no harm, if it was needed you could save you motor.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
IMO draining a quart certainly has some merit.....
Partial Quote from OP
"Wnen the car stalled at the end of my street the oil light came on and dinged. I walked home and got my dh he pulled the quart of oil and asked how much and I replied the whole quart, so in it went. Later realized I should have checked level. Now there is WAY to much oil in my car."
Partial quote from Too Slick aka "genius"
"One quart of VW 505.00 oil is not going to cause your PD to fail, in fact I'd be more concerned about over-filling the sump by a quart. Which is what I was addressing in my previous post."
Tom

are you trying to be a smart a$$ ?

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
I did a TB job on a 2003 TDI Jetta Wagon back in September....the car had just under 120k miles on it.... with the original TB, etc. I also cleaned the Intake (plugged pretty bad).

Anyway, in discussing maintenance on the vehicle, I learned the dude had been using the WRONG OIL for 7 years and almost 120k miles. He had been using REGULAR DINO 15w-40 for the big-rig diesels! I've seen similar situations with other TDIs.

One quart of the "wrong oil" is not going to destroy your engine...that's all a bunch of BS. Also, I seriously doubt being one quart over-full is going to be a problem either.

You do need to find a guru to solve the starting issues!
you are aware that dino 15W-40 meets 505.00 ?
running "big rig diesel oil " won't kill a TDI

TDS

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS & 2003 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins
Dimitri, Not being a smart a## at all. In fact, quite the opposite. I thought one of the previous posters had a valid point in recommending the removal of a quart of oil and was supporting his rationale. His rationale could only be ascertained from reading all the posts in this thread as there was some confusion. So, when another poster referred to the poster with the recommendation as a "genius", I thought it was uncalled for and tried to clarify why the recommendation was made.
Tom

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
I've been running the wrong oil in my PD for almost 50k miles....:rolleyes:

Go to amazon and pick up a nice oil extractor. (get one bigger than the 4l model...)

I would be a bit more concerned as to why it needed oil in the first place...

I also saw two possible red flags in your first post.

Clear fuel.... (winter blend around here always has a tint, mine is greenish right now..)

Occurs when low tank level... (possible intank fuel pump issues)

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Understanding what you read!

you are aware that dino 15W-40 meets 505.00 ?
running "big rig diesel oil " won't kill a TDI
Did you read my post or just skip thru it! Did I say it would "kill" the TDI engine......... quite the contrary! And, yes I am well aware of the standards of the Chervon 15w-40 the dude (the individual I was referring to in my post) was using in his car!

The point I was trying to make is the dude's engine did just fine on the BIG RIG oil (wrong oil in some folks minds)! Do you see anything else in my post!

The only reason the ALH TDI needs synthetic oil is to protect the Turbo from coking! Otherwise, regular DINO oil meeting Compression Fire engine specs (diesels) would be just fine. Of course, we all know that synthetic flows much better and should result in better fuel economy as well as cold weather starts, etc.

And, being over full by one quart is not going to damage the engine........ The sump will hold that one quart. During engine operation there is well over 50% of the oil in "motion" throughout the various interal components of the engine! Thus, the crankshaft is not going to be "dipping" into that excess oil........if it did, what would happen! Oil squishing out from around rod and main bearings as well as the four piston squirters makes for like a monsoon pour-down inside the crankcase during operation!

If the Original Poster to this Thread wants the excess oil out, more power to him!:D

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Knowing how sensetive PDs are to oil and camshaft wear, I wouldn't risk and change the all oil ASAP if it were my car. While 505.00 and 505.01 might be similar, they're not the same. 505.01 superceeds 505.00 (read B is greater than A) so 505.00 is not compatible (A can't be used unstead of B, where greater value is required).

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
Yet another post which has become the 505.01 bastard step child thread... :rolleyes:

Any updates on where the actual problem lies ? What did the dealer do other than change the fuel filter and say... "could not duplicate customers concerns"?