1998 jetta tdi

TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
New to the tdi world and having a rough start. LoL
Having some problems with my tdi.
Started of the factory security alarm was going off. I eventually found the problem. Two broken wires in the drivers door.
After fixing that I haven't been able to get it to fire. Glow plug light would come on for a second or two and that is it but no fire.
Had someone who said they knew a lot about tdi's come over and now I don't know what they did but now the glow plug light doesn't come on at all.
I think they moved the relays around. I looked in my Hanes manual and my relay panel isn't the same as the say.
Is there anyone here who could tell me what relay is in the relay panel 1-12.
Any help would be awesome and thank you in advanced!
Chris

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Where are you in Michigan? There are a couple of great gurus there, one in Fowlerville (Marty Bergel), one in Cedar Springs (Kirk Blackmore). Sometimes sorting out issues in a car that's new to you can be difficult if you don't know what to look for. Their contact info is in the trusted mechanics list in TDI 101.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
The 109 relay feeds power to the ECU, but it doesn't cause it to go bad.

If you suspect your 109 relay, put a jumper wire between your battery and the black/white wire on top of your injection pump. If you hear it click, try starting the car. If it starts but dies when you remove the wire, then your 109 relay is bad. It's only a $10 part, I keep spares in every B4.

TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
Where are you in Michigan? There are a couple of great gurus there, one in Fowlerville (Marty Bergel), one in Cedar Springs (Kirk Blackmore). Sometimes sorting out issues in a car that's new to you can be difficult if you don't know what to look for. Their contact info is in the trusted mechanics list in TDI 101.
Thanks for the info, if I don't come up with something soon I will look into them.
I am in Whitehall.

TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
The 109 relay feeds power to the ECU, but it doesn't cause it to go bad.

If you suspect your 109 relay, put a jumper wire between your battery and the black/white wire on top of your injection pump. If you hear it click, try starting the car. If it starts but dies when you remove the wire, then your 109 relay is bad. It's only a $10 part, I keep spares in every B4.
Well I think the guy that I had look at my car before switched my relays around. So I need to start there I think and I am also going to run a jumper wire to my fuel pump to see if it kicks on.
Thanks

TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
Ok so I got the relays put in the proper locations. The glow plug light is now coming on but still not firing. How do I jump the fuel pump? I know you someone said run a wire from the batterie to the black and white wire on the pump but the batterie is in the trunk.
I might have a long enough wire but is there a different way to do it?
Or is there a relay for the pump that might have went bad?

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Well that might be the problem, put the battery where it belongs under the hood. :D

Run a jumper from the battery to the wire mentioned, even if it's a jumper cable, it won't take much.

TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
Well that might be the problem, put the battery where it belongs under the hood. :D
Run a jumper from the battery to the wire mentioned, even if it's a jumper cable, it won't take much.
Hmmm, good idea lol

Thanks, didn't know if I could do it that way or not.
Thanks for the help

edjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDi,
Do you have access to a VagCom? It would be best to see what faults you might have.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Abacus - I'm not near my Bentley Manual. What is the purpose of the red jumper wire beside relay 53?

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
It keeps the low beams on when the high beams are on. It was a modification for the B4's, which have separate high & low beams. I have added it to all the B4's locally, along with the high beam bulb & socket in the low beam location.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Okay. Thanks. I don't imagine that is a good idea for single-bulb applications such as the Mk3.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I have AAA Plus so that anytime I'm between work and home I'm less than 100 miles from Kirk's house. Luckily I've never had to use the roadside, but Kirk has done both of my TB jobs for me. Stand up guy for sure.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
The solenoid or the relay? The solenoid is just how I mentioned earlier, by applying power. The relay is usually a visual indicator, if the glow plug light doesn't come on for a second when turning the key then it's probably bad. If it does come on for a second then it's probably good.