2009 Jetta TDI Fuel Economy

Cudakid

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Black Jetta TDI 6spd
I've made it through about a half tank now and my MFD is on 44. I have been running about 70 mph to work. As long as it stays at that or above I'll be a happy camper. The best I ever got out of the '06 DSG was 43 and that was one time. Must have had the wind at my back I guess. Used to just tick me off seeing everyone on here saying they got 48, 50, 54 etc. No way my car would have ever gotten that. I even babied it at 62 mph for a whole week to work and still was at 41-42 mpg. Not bad but still... :eek:

Kabin

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta '04 PD TDI/Tip
If only VW had vision and provided a new diesel vehicle with a smaller displacement engine, reasonable hp/tq, and a smaller lighter platform. Until then, VW TDI mpg numbers are going down.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Kabin said:
If only VW had vision and provided a new diesel vehicle with a smaller displacement engine, reasonable hp/tq, and a smaller lighter platform. Until then, VW TDI mpg numbers are going down.
Like...the CR140 in a MK IV body? Same performance as my modded VE90 with much better emissions. And with a proper 6-speed. Speaking of that, does anyone know if the 6-speeds [MANuals of course] in the new TDIs will work in older ones?

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Kabin said:
VW can't do that. Everyone would want one.

jvance

Veteran Member
TDI
Gave it back to VW
Kabin said:
The Sportwagen has the same interior room and cargo space as my Outback. 50mpg at a steady 60mph is simply amazing for that class of car. After break-in I expect people will be seeing 55mpg @ 60, 50mpg @ 70.

If the Polo Bluemotion makes it over here, I'll pick one up about a year after release as our second car. Unless the BMW 118D or Mini Clubman D makes it over first.

Cudakid

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Black Jetta TDI 6spd
jvance said:
The Sportwagen has the same interior room and cargo space as my Outback. 50mpg at a steady 60mph is simply amazing for that class of car. After break-in I expect people will be seeing 55mpg @ 60, 50mpg @ 70.

If the Polo Bluemotion makes it over here, I'll pick one up about a year after release as our second car. Unless the BMW 118D or Mini Clubman D makes it over first.
How in the heck are people doing this? I drove all the way to work today at 60mph in sixth gear and flat road and the best the mfd could muster was 45 mpg. I would sure like to see this in action. I guess both of my cars must be lemons or everyone else is dyslexic and they're numbers aren't really where they think they are. :D

Kabin

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta '04 PD TDI/Tip
Yea, I never understood that quantum leap in fuel economy improvement either. Never happened to that extent for my late model diesels. Maybe attributed to learning how to drive more miserly?

seespotrun

TDI
09 Jetta TDI
I can only get 45 mpg around here going 60ish up and down the mountains. I am hoping once I get it on some flat roads, that it goes up a little.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The biggest gains/losses are because of the driver. It isn't just about being in 6th gear, it is how you drive in 6th gear (any gear). In my normal everyday driving 40 mpg is the norm. "If" I want to try and drive for economy I can get as high as 53 mpg. For me driving for that high economy is real work and is not enjoyable. I am happy to drive as I please and get 40 to 45 mpg doing it.

dr61

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI on order

Cudakid

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Black Jetta TDI 6spd
Lightflyer1 said:
The biggest gains/losses are because of the driver. It isn't just about being in 6th gear, it is how you drive in 6th gear (any gear). In my normal everyday driving 40 mpg is the norm. "If" I want to try and drive for economy I can get as high as 53 mpg. For me driving for that high economy is real work and is not enjoyable. I am happy to drive as I please and get 40 to 45 mpg doing it.
I can drive myself miserly or even have tried cruise and still no more than 45 mpg.

People must be coasting down hills and turning the engines off or something. I just can't believe people saying they drive 70+ mph and getting 50's in the 06's or 09's. :D

wesk1954

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Cudakid said:
How in the heck are people doing this? I drove all the way to work today at 60mph in sixth gear and flat road and the best the mfd could muster was 45 mpg. I would sure like to see this in action. I guess both of my cars must be lemons or everyone else is dyslexic and they're numbers aren't really where they think they are. :D
How much of that trip was actually at 60 mph? Was it 70%? Because that 30% that wasn't can rip those numbers to shreds. No one will ever get more than 50 mpg on a TANK of gas unless it's 90% or more highway imho.

I have calculated three tanks so far on my 09,,, 46, 42.5 and 44. All of these are "mostly" highway.. probably 75%, some in mountainous terrain at high speeds (75) with a/c on (that's the 42.5 tank) and the 46 was in FLAT geography at 65 with a/c.

My mileage drops when I drive into West Virginia based purely on two factors, the speed increases to 70, which generally means 75, and the MOUNTAINS are continuous. If I ran WV hard, I would probably drop to around 40 mpg.

So there's MANY factors that come into play, and I think your car WOULD deliver 50 mpg given the right conditions. I'm confident I could get 50 on my new Jetta if I would drive 55 mph on flat terrain with no a/c.. in fact I think it would be closer to 55, especially after another 10K miles to break in the engine.

On the tank I'm currently running I'm showing 46 mpg... and it has been a mixture of 65mph or less highway, with about 30% city, but I've been very gentle on the accelerator.

I've found the digital read out varies as much as 1 mpg in the 3-4 tanks that I've checked so far.

Wes

twilkens

TDI
soon the 2009 Jetta sedan or wagon
First I think the new Jetta is a fine car. No puns intended in my response below. But I have to agree with Cudakid. I also test drove it and only managed 45-48mpg on a 30m test drive. On a similar test drive with a Prius at 65-70mph I managed 51 southbound from Modesto CA and 49 northbound, again 15m each way.

I think the milage of the Jetta just doesn't cut it. If you have to drive 55-60mph to get great milage seems the joy of driving is nill and you mine as well get a Prius. I mention this because some have said getting a diesel is about enjoying driving.. and I agree. But if you want to get good milage then you won't be enjoying it too much in a Jetta or a Prius. I think that's a fact.

ALso.. it's not economical. I look at the car as a tool, not an amusement park ride. I drive ~800m a week and it's all economy for me. MY 275hp Honda is getting 32-33mpg and I'll run it till the wheels fall off because I'm not made of money and getting a car, from my perspective, is a loss. Insurance, plates and car payment are all costs. I want 50mpg minimum at regular fuel costs. Diesel's 10-20% more than regular in CA and getting 44mpg on diesel costs the same as getting 40mpg on regular gasoline here as of yesterday.

Tim

I'm WNY PAT

Veteran Member
Well - my overall average is right about at 45 (44.8 / 44.9 / 45.1) depending on what I'm doing with the throttle. Am I disappointed? No. I was real happy with the 48-50MPG I would achieve in my 2000, which had a back seat not fit for kids on any type of trip. It was also lighter and quite a bit less powerful. So, let's say worst case scenario, I give up 3 or 4 MPG for a 90ft. pound gain in torque... and a nice backseat... okay, I'm good with that. OTOH, none of these cars are even broken in yet, and we won't know what the real-world numbers are going to be for some time. And don't forget, many (if not most) never saw 50MPG from the 2000 to 2008 models... many were stuck in the low to mid 40's.

As for the Prius - it will work great for people in stop and go traffic a lot, especially in warmer climates. Whether it is the more economical choice for those of us who do 85% or 90% on the highway, especially through hilly terrain, I doubt it. Add a measure of very cold winter weather, as the reviewers in C&D noted a couple years back, and "real-world" numbers are really disappointing in a hybrid.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
You'll need to put about 10-15,000 miles on that new '09 before you start seeing good mileage. I hope you are driving it like you stole it :)

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. MK4/5/6 Jetta's in the past.
Here in Canada, The 09's are rated at an equivalent of 35 City, and 49 Highway ( US MPG )

Actually better than the 2006's which were rated at 35 City, and 46 highway ( US MPG )

Last edited:

wesk1954

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Cudakid said:
How far is your drive? My guess is that the drive that took you to the 60 mph zone sucked the overall mileage down???

Wes

Cudakid

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Black Jetta TDI 6spd
wesk1954 said:
How far is your drive? My guess is that the drive that took you to the 60 mph zone sucked the overall mileage down???

Wes
60-62 mph the whole 35 miles. One stoplight though in the first 6 miles. That was the only day I really I babied the car. The night I brought it home I drove about 30 miles at 45-50 mph and it never went over the 45 mpg either. I guess until I see a 50 mpg mfd readout I'll remain skeptical. :D

I'll be running a 200 mile trip friday and then a 400 mile trip next friday so we'll see what happens then. I am not really worried about the overall mpg right now as I'd rather get it broken in correctly and worry about it later.

One other thing to note though is that I may have a totally trash tank of diesel that the dealer put in. The last few days it has hiccuped a few times while in third gear. I added a bit of diesel additive to this tank afterwards and will run it out.

Last edited:

sluzski

TDI
09 Jetta TDI (on order)
Just picked up my Jetta last nite. 80 mile trip from the dealership at 65 miles per hour resulted in 43.1 mpg per the mfd.

Jeff

jbarbee

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
You are going off the EPA which is an average of the best and worst conditions. Independent test show more like 38 city and 44 highway. Remember it takes 15,000 miles just to break in the 2009 TDI. Our regional manager took his to FL and got up to 63 mpg. Of course it was flat and almost no stops. Still, most of our customers are saying they get around 50 mpg or better on the 2006 on the highway. Remember this is what I am hearing not my actual experinece so take it for what it is worth. Jeff Barbee Dwight Harrison VW Snellville GA. If you would like a copy of that independent study you can reach me at 770-335-0244 cell or 770-979-2000 ext 1223

ScooterJim

TDI
09 Jetta Wagon
I picked my 09 Jetta Sportwagen w/DSG on Aug. 18. Have only traveled about 260 miles, 50% city/50% highway in Atlanta with A/C most of the time. MFD #2 indicates 36.5 mpg. I did reach 50.7 mpg on MFD #1 on the way to work for 17 miles.

wesk1954

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
I just filled my fourth tank today, and actual mileage calc's was 44.5.

That makes the sequence so far 46.0, 42.5, 43.5, 44.5.

All of these are actual calc's. The MFD said (in the same order) 46.5,44.0,43.5 (dead on) and 45.3

All of these are the result of mixed driving, more highway than not, at 65-75 mph, and the second and fourth tanks in the mountains of WV, the 42.5 and today's 45.3. The 42.5 was WITH a/c, and today's was without.

Wes

gwinny

TDI
2009 Sedan, White Loyalty ed.
Am I missing something?

wesk1954 said:
I just filled my fourth tank today, and actual mileage calc's was 44.5.
That makes the sequence so far 46.0, 42.5, 43.5, 44.5.
All of these are actual calc's. The MFD said (in the same order) 46.5,44.0,43.5 (dead on) and 45.3
All of these are the result of mixed driving, more highway than not, at 65-75 mph, and the second and fourth tanks in the mountains of WV, the 42.5 and today's 45.3. The 42.5 was WITH a/c, and today's was without.
Wes
Okay, feeling like a clueless wonder here but after the first ten days of driving when I went to fill up the tank for the first time we had an average of 23.9 mpg. Do not sneer, all of you with open road, but here in congested Connecticut I have to travel an average of 14.2 mph. This is AWFUL!

I might as well have got the Hypothetical Prius we were on a wait list for 3 months for before giving up or a gas Jetta sportwagen with the gorgeous sunroof and a comfy back area for the pooch. I have been telling myself that a daily five miles each way commute on the highway with much traffic and much intervening local driving (traffic also) and the occasional 12 mile trip to church (windy back roads, average speeds of 40 mpg) and 12 mile highway to grocery,etc -) are more what a Prius is best at getting good mileage on. Also that diesels have break in periods. ALso that car computers are unreliable, etc. But about 311 miles on 3/4 of a tank (we had a long road trip heavily loaded in the other car for a few days, not wanting to overload the new TDI, hence low mileage).

I LOVE driving this car during the brief minutes when the traffic moves. We got it because I plan to travel several hundred miles on highway on most weekends in future. The fantastic handling and performance relative to others we have driven (especially our SUV and the Prius we test drove) have probably already saved my life from two wacked out tired truckers on I95 veering into my lane, and helped a teenaged driver in the family avoid trouble on entrance ramps and turning too fast on winding country roads several times. So I am trying to tell myself things will improve mileage wise.

But this is way worse than the EPA stats. Could this be a sign of engine trouble? No lights or anything. Please don't write insultingly that I picked the wrong car. In an ideal world, many of us would have different cars. But sometimes one buys the set of four wheels that move well that one can afford that is actually available as opposed to hypothetical. My basic feeling is if I am getting 23.9 why did I pay 5K premium over the gas Jetta? And how much worse will this mileage be in the winter!!! (I remember my Mercedes diesel wagon gulping fuel all winter)

We did homework, have owned diesel before (Mercedes) but when we ran the numbers on whether it made economic sense to buy (as opposed to just "Cute car, fun to drive") we used the EPA figures and decided OK. But with 23.9? Horrendous. Love car, hate mileage and not independently wealthy enough to justify a sports car wannabe/midlife crisis car that isn't economical enough.

:(
VERY DISAPPOINTED

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Variant, Reflex Silver
but here in congested Connecticut I have to travel an average of 14.2 mph. This is AWFUL!....

I might as well have got the Hypothetical Prius
Hybrids excell in the city. TDIs excell on the open road.
But dollar for dollar... in your situation, I would have gotten a Fit.

wdhille

TDI
2006 Jetta
gwinny said:
Okay, feeling like a clueless wonder here but after the first ten days of driving when I went to fill up the tank for the first time we had an average of 23.9 mpg. Do not sneer, all of you with open road, but here in congested Connecticut I have to travel an average of 14.2 mph. This is AWFUL!
VERY DISAPPOINTED
If you average 14 MPH you should have considered a mountain bike

Idling and starting from a stop are horrible for mileage!

Wayne

wesk1954

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Wow, that's some LOUSY mileage. I think your car could ultimately be a candidate for stopping up the particulate filter if you don't have at least a good once a week 10-20 miles run at highway speeds so the emmision system can regenerate. Read your diesel supplement for an explanation, or if you didn't get one, I'll post it here.

My only suggestion to improve your mileage is this, and I'm sure you're already aware, but take offs KILL your mileage. However, taking off VERY gently will improve it dramatically. I can't even imagine how it's possible to get mileage that bad on this car, but I'm assuming it must be almost continous stop and go. YIKES!

For your given situation, a Prius would have been the perfect choice. It's a lousy highway car, and a perfect city car.

Plus, once the engine is broke in and not running so tightly, you'll likely see some improvement.

Also when you do an actual calculation after another fill up (using pen and paper) you may well find your numbers are better than you think. Plus, you don't know for sure that the first tank was "really" full. Was that the tank from your dealer?

Wes

seespotrun

TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Just got 46 mpg on my 30 mi commute w/ my 09 SMG TDI through the mountains here in TN to work this morning. I was traveling between 65-70 mph 90% of the time and the rest was city driving. All of this was done with the radio on pretty loud and the AC off. This info is coming from my MFD which was .1 mpg off from the actual mileage on my first tank. I'd say the MFD is way more accurate on the 09's than they have been in the past.

Going to Indiana this weekend to visit the in-laws. Will let you all know how it does on a good flat road.

GideanYates

Veteran Member
TDI
1986 Golf TDI (RIP) 2011 Golf Highline Wagon TDI
gwinny said:

I might as well have got the Hypothetical Prius we were on a wait list for 3 months for before giving up or a gas Jetta sportwagen with the gorgeous sunroof and a comfy back area for the pooch. I have been telling myself that a daily five miles each way commute on the highway with much traffic and much intervening local driving (traffic also) and the occasional 12 mile trip to church (windy back roads, average speeds of 40 mpg) and 12 mile highway to grocery,etc -) are more what a Prius is best at getting good mileage on. Also that diesels have break in periods. ALso that car computers are unreliable, etc. But about 311 miles on 3/4 of a tank (we had a long road trip heavily loaded in the other car for a few days, not wanting to overload the new TDI, hence low mileage).

I LOVE driving this car during the brief minutes when the traffic moves. We got it because I plan to travel several hundred miles on highway on most weekends in future. The fantastic handling and performance relative to others we have driven (especially our SUV and the Prius we test drove) have probably already saved my life from two wacked out tired truckers on I95 veering into my lane, and helped a teenaged driver in the family avoid trouble on entrance ramps and turning too fast on winding country roads several times. So I am trying to tell myself things will improve mileage wise.

But this is way worse than the EPA stats. Could this be a sign of engine trouble? No lights or anything. Please don't write insultingly that I picked the wrong car. In an ideal world, many of us would have different cars. But sometimes one buys the set of four wheels that move well that one can afford that is actually available as opposed to hypothetical. My basic feeling is if I am getting 23.9 why did I pay 5K premium over the gas Jetta? And how much worse will this mileage be in the winter!!! (I remember my Mercedes diesel wagon gulping fuel all winter)

We did homework, have owned diesel before (Mercedes) but when we ran the numbers on whether it made economic sense to buy (as opposed to just "Cute car, fun to drive") we used the EPA figures and decided OK. But with 23.9? Horrendous. Love car, hate mileage and not independently wealthy enough to justify a sports car wannabe/midlife crisis car that isn't economical enough.

VERY DISAPPOINTED
I can empathize with your plight. My ideal future will see my garage sporting a VW Wagon diesel (my fun, throw the kids/dog, road trip car)next to a prius (my daily commuter).

While I love high mpg cars the german diesels offer so much more the decent mpg's. There's nothing like driving a German car....the handling, road manners, diesel torque (mind you I haven't had the pleasure of experiencing other brands offered in Europe (Peugot, etc). When I was working my way through my never ending college career I worked for a BMW dealership and got to drive BM's, Audi's, and Mercs.....the VW shares driving characterisc with all those brands.....for me I can't wait to get my TDI wagon as it's been a while since I realy enjoyed my car (I got an Echo and Odyssey).

The other thing is if your new TDI is getting poor fuel economy in stop and go traffic what would your typiccal non Hybrid econobox get in the same traffic?

Last edited:

jvance

Veteran Member
TDI
Gave it back to VW
gwinny said:
People sneer and scoff at the Consumer Reports city mileage, but these are the conditions they're simulating, and that's the number they got for the 06 Jetta TDI - 24 mpg city.

If you had bought a Civic hybrid, you wouldn't have gotten any better. If you had bought a Prius, you might have gotten better than 30 mpg in those conditions, but not much, plus you wouldn't have had room in the back for your dog.

Short trips like you mention also kill the Prius' mileage. It takes time for the Atkinson Cycle engine to warm up and settle into its efficient range. I doubt you'd find a car that would do much better than you're getting in those conditions. Honda Fit? 25mpg and not as roomy.

Are you sure that the tank was completely full when you left the dealership? What does the MFD report? It's proving to be very accurate. What kind of car did you have previously and what sort of mileage did you get with it in these conditions?