2011 Jetta TDI Sportwagen???

1gunther1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL 2012 Passat SEL
I'm in the market for a new daily driver and want to buy a new TDI Sportwagen. I know that VW brought a new model Jetta for 2011 that added 3+ inches of rear seat legroom. I also understand that the Sportwagon did not get this additional rear seat legroom.

The question I have is does anyone "know" when the Sportwagon will also get the longer wheelbase that the sedan got??? VW refuses to answer or even acknowledge the differeneces between the sedan and sportwagen :(

Pyke

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI--- DSG
The sportswagon already has plenty of leg room.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
The wagon is the MK5 platform and since it came out in 09' you'll likely have 09', 10', 11', 12', and possibly 13' before you see a change. They have to make their $$ out of the huge DOT expense.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
If you need lots of space, wait for the Passat Wagen to come out.....the sedan is scheduled for 2012 the Passat Wagon shouldn't be far behind

Westro

Veteran Member
TDI
I'd wait for the Urea injected Passat. Gives you time to see how the HPFP failure plays out also.

(I'm with you, the JSW needs the rear leg room that the current 2011 Sedan has)

Burning Diesel

TDI
New Jetta
2013 is a good guess for the new Passat Wagon based on how the last ones came out in 07 a year after the sedan in 06. You should check out the 2007 / 2008 Passat Wagon. They are nice rides. BMW Portland

Last edited:

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
There are no plans for a Passat wagon. Not in the U.S. anyway. Too much overlap with the JSW.

I mean come on...the car has a ton of room./ How much bigger do you need? Bigger, heavier, slower, thristier....

bigdiek235

TDI
1998 VW Jetta TDI
I noticed the same thing, went for a test drive last night with my wife in the sedan and the wagon. She sat behind me in both to compare leg, overall room, and comfort and were confused about this. The dealership insisted it was the same amount of room, but there is no way.

Pyke, I am 6'8" and my wife is 6', she fit with room in the sedan behind me and really couldn't sit behind me in the wagon, very very tight fit. Love both vehicles, but were are planning on adding to the family and need all the space we can get.

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
I noticed the same thing, went for a test drive last night with my wife in the sedan and the wagon. She sat behind me in both to compare leg, overall room, and comfort and were confused about this. The dealership insisted it was the same amount of room, but there is no way.

Pyke, I am 6'8" and my wife is 6', she fit with room in the sedan behind me and really couldn't sit behind me in the wagon, very very tight fit. Love both vehicles, but were are planning on adding to the family and need all the space we can get.
there is 3" of more space for the rear leg room in the Jetta compared to JSW. Maybe a bit less then 3", but something like that.