Passed a Seat this morning...

arootbeer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GLS TDI White/Black
Looked like an Ibiza. It was going the other way, and it caught my eye. Not quite sure what to think...

I'd love to get a Leon, but I guess I'd have to go to Mexico to do it?

How does this NAFTA thing work again?

arootbeer

Veteran Member
TDI
Anybody? Bueller?

67 views, and nobody has anything to say about Seats driving around Texas?

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
[ QUOTE ]
nobody has anything to say about Seats driving around Texas?

[/ QUOTE ]

In the winter/spring of 1987 my patrol squadron was deployed to Spain. Midway through I took about 10 days leave, rented a Seat, and went on a tour of the country.

It gets damned cold in mid-winter in high plateau region of interior Spain, and the Seat didn't really have a heater. So I headed for the nearest coast, which was the Mediterranean near Barcelona. Stuck with the coast roads afterward: Valencia, Cartagena, Almeria, Malaga, and Algiceras.

Other complaint: only 4 forward gears. I resolved that when I returned to the states, I would buy a car with a 5-speed transmission. Found a 3-year-old Saab 900 Turbo with 5-speed and sunroof, bought it, and enjoyed 16 years of mostly-trouble-free driving.

As for NAFTA: an American citizen can drive his US-licensed car to Mexico, and a Mexican citizen can drive his Mexico-licensed car to the US. But a Seat can't be registered in the US.

arootbeer

Veteran Member
TDI
Too bad. They seem to be nicer cars now, although the Mexican lineup isn't much different than what's offered here (with the exception of the Ibiza and Alhambra, either of which would probably sell very well).