Random hesitation and lots of white smoke

mk4steveo

TDI
2000 mk4 jetta
Hey guys i'm new here. I've spent a lot of time reasearching my issue, and replacing random parts . I have a 2000 mk4 jetta with a 2.0l 5 speed . The issue i have is very intermitin 50% of the time my car seams to run good , but the other half the time , when I'm at a stop sign / light . And take off my car hesitates big time then exspells a lot of whitish smoke . And at idle it sounds like it has a miss and the engine is shaking the car / running rough. I sometimes can smell that the car is running rich. Also has irratic idle sometimes . But like i said, it only does those things some of the times. Other times it runs great . I'm pretty sure my milage is not as good as it should be either.The check engine light is not on BTW and I've scanned it , theres 0 errors or codes
I've replaced both O2 sensors, MAF sensor, plugs and wires , coil, fuel filter ,cleaned throttle body , sea foamed it checked for vacuam leaks.
To me it seams like its a sensor starting to fail , but i'm not sure , any ideas ??
Thanks in advance

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Gasser is it? Hmm...
Well, one problem may be the EGR valve sticking open.
As mentioned, before pouring more money into guessing what is wrong, get it scanned for codes at least. BTW, get it scanned before trying the test that I suggest because it will no doubt trigger a code for the MAF or EGR valve.
Try to shut the EGR valve manually and disconnect the controlling mechanism. (I don't know if it is operated by vacuum or electrically on your 2.0) and see if that helps.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
What colour smoke? Grey white or blue white or white white?
Diesels dont run "rich" so to say,
How did you seafoam it?

I've replaced both O2 sensors, MAF sensor, plugs and wires , coil, fuel filter ,cleaned throttle body , sea foamed it checked for vacuam leaks.
To me it seams like its a sensor starting to fail , but i'm not sure , any ideas ??
Thanks in advance

ARE YOU SURE ITS A TDI??????

TDI's dont have plugs, ignition wires (well we have glow plug harness) Throtle bodies, and im 99% sure the mk4 does not have O2 Sensors, and certainly not coils. And we cant seafoam it due to runaway.

Please go to another foums. Thanks

But to answer your question, your 99% its a head gasket or bad rings/ block

White smoke in a gasser is coolant from head gasket fail
Blue white smoke is burnt out rings or wrapped or egged block.

Pull a compression test and a leak down test and stop putting parts on it. none of those parts could cause your issues with out a code.

Best of luck, happy to help but it helps to know whats going on before you waste money on parts. I would return what you can and do some diagnostics.

Any of the plugs come out covered in oil?
do you have milky oil on your dipstick?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Try scrolling down to “General VW discussion “ thread

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Lol ya of coarse i know its not a TDI / diesel !!
K i guess i'll go elsewhere
Its all good, just confusing for some (Me)
happy to help if i can
We have areas for this stuff, hang around but post in the right areas of the forums.
Try scrolling down to “General VW discussion “ thread
^^^^
THIS