Brake issues....booster problem?

rotarydiesel

TDI
'01 Jetta
Hey all...my 01 Jetta is having some brake issues. I had a bad shudder in the front end when braking. I fixed that by changing the rotars, they were warped pretty bad. But i have to stand on it to get it to stop. The pedal is firm, so i don't think there is any air in the lines. It's acting like a car without power brakes. I recently had the turbo rebuilt on it and an EGR delete installed. There are several vacuum lines plugged off. I'm not sure how the power booster works on a diesel. Could this be a vacuum issue or something else?

Mike_Van

Veteran Member
TDI
(SOLD) 2010 Golf, 2 door
Mine had the 'very hard pedal' issue when this part's plastic end cracked, and yes it is vacuum-related. Until I could replace it, I was able to resolve the symptom with electrical tape around the split end.

'There are several vacuum lines plugged off.'
I'd find out why this is so (and should be so), if you don't already.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Firm as in manual brakes?

My '00 just had the Booster replaced at 275k mi. The peddle WAS HARD.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
It's probably the part Mikevan above mentioned. Follow the large plastic hose from the booster, its probably split on the inside radius or at the end. Save yourself some money and get about a foot of ID 3/8 heater hose and some hose clamps and replace the plastic piece, about $5.00, done this to mine 3yrs ago and 90,xxx miles no issues. My .02.

rotarydiesel

TDI
'01 Jetta
Wow....talk about spot on. Good job guys. I hadn't seen an update on the forum, so I took a look at the vacuum booster line and sure enough, it was split on both ends. Went to autoparts store and bought a foot of, what else, 3/8 heater hose and some hose clamps. Worked like a champ. I was worried that the vacuum might collapse the heater hose, but it seems to be good. I have brakes once again! Thanks guys!