Cranks but won't start

chanko171

TDI
Beetle - new
I just recently bought a 2006 TDI VW Beetle. Sometimes it cranks and cranks and no start. I put a new battery and now running some biodiesel through it. That seemed to help until it happened again this morning. It will eventually start after trying a few times. Anyone have any idea what it could be??

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
the upshot of what aja8888 and I are saying is - have you checked that you have fuel at your rail? Easiest way to check quickly is to check your fuel filter - see if it has any fuel in it. If there isn't, then there doesn't appear to be any fuel from the lift pump.

chanko171

TDI
Beetle - new
The check engine light did come on the one time it happened but not since. I changed the fuel filter as soon as the problem happened. However I don't know what a lift pump is. Is that expensive? Hard to replace?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
According to the links in my signature, the lift pump is in the fuel tank and pumps fuel to the filter and to the engine. It is easy to listen for the pump, just remember that just because you hear the pump doesn't mean that it's pumping. DanG has a great thread about testing it and I linked it in my signature.