www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old July 6th, 2018, 08:35   #151
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Dismal

Went back to the JY for the Jetta TDI engine harness. Picked a day that was close to 100° and got a minor case of heatstroke....

Stripped the headlight harness, thinking I may want to use it in the Rabbit. For those that start with this harness for their projects, what a headache...

Being a glutton for punishment, I cleaned out 2 more harnesses from the B4. I was able to get some decent lengths and colors to stitch into my harnesses. I haven’t been using too much of the purchased wire.

I think I’ve crossed the midpoint with lengthening the engine harness. Will need to start putting the engine together to establish final lengths, before terminating the other side of the Weatherpacks.

-Todd
ToddA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2018, 09:05   #152
1.9ZOOK
Veteran Member

TDI(s): ALH Samurai
Fuel Economy: pending

Your project is looking very clean.
...and I hear ya on the harness(even more difficult when you have no idea what the plugs were plugged into.)
1.9ZOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2018, 10:20   #153
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Thanks. I couldn’t imagine doing this, if I didn’t pull the harnesses or at least have the wire diagrams, but there isn’t really too much in the engine harness, that’s required to get the engine to run.

Somewhat project related. I had a hemlock taken down about a month ago. I couldn’t get the guy back out to grind the stump, so I ended up calling someone else.

I’ve been wanting to get the driveway widened. I was tired of all of the pollen and tiny pine cones that were always finding their way into the rain trays and body gaps... also tired of parking on the dirt and having mud splash on cars, when it rains.

-Todd
Old July 6th, 2018, 22:22   #154
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

I can sympathize with you, I have three mature white pines always dropping needles and cones all over the place, plus if you park under one and it's hot out be prepared for some sap on the body, one reason when I'm home the car is in the garage.

Can't say I'm going to be too upset when I sell this place, I'm just not motivated to work on it much anymore...

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2018, 13:46   #155
jhax
Veteran Member

Alright Todd-The-Thorough, how do you plan on testing the wiring harness prior to actually starting the car? Ohmmeter on each end of each wire? Hook it up to a battery, old fuse box, and ignition switch and measure voltages at sensors?

Last edited by jhax; August 28th, 2018 at 13:49.
jhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2018, 17:47   #156
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Well, I suppose I could do all of that... it wouldn’t really be that difficult.

Seriously, I was just planning on inserting, them turning the key.

Since my last post, I think I terminated another Weatherpack housing and added to my Weatherpack legend. .... slow progress.

-Todd
Old August 29th, 2018, 19:29   #157
Pat Dolan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 800km/1100km/tank

Todd:

Just found your thread. I am not impressed with your persistence and attention to detail, I am in AWE. I think you may well end up with the finest A1 on the planet.