Washed my key

Quincy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI, 2007 Dodge Cummins QC 4X4 6 sp, 2007 John Deere 3120
It was bound to happen. I found my Key FOB Monday morning in a pair of pants I washed Sunday night. I just put it in my garden window and forgot about it until now. I just grabbed the other key so I haven't used it yet.

Has anyone done this or will I be the source of new information? The car has keyless if that makes a difference.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Did you leave the battery in the fob when you put it in the window?

Quincy

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, I just grabbed the other key and had to go. I just took the battery out and nothing looks wet. I might just see if it works.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Based on past experience of a friend, it probably will not work and can potentially set the alarm off and cause a bit of craziness, only solution was to remove the battery and replace the key.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I've heard some of the mk7 keys have gone through the wash without issues.

Also if it's 100% dead the passive RFID chip should still work (hold it up to the steering colum knock out to start), but you'll get "key not in range" alarm while driving.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
One reason I never have my keyfob in a pants pocket. I have a carbine clip on the keyfob and always clip that to a belt loop. Can't forget it there.
A very senior friend has his keyfob hung on a thingy around his neck.

berks_tom

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Not a Mk7, but I had this happen with a MkV Jetta. The key was left in a pair of jeans that were washed and dried. The key was discovered 2 weeks later. Battery had leaked a little. Cleaned up the insides with rubbing alcohol and let it dry. Replaced the battery and after a few attempts it started working again. Was good for the next 9 years until my son lost the key.

Quincy

Veteran Member
TDI
One reason I never have my keyfob in a pants pocket. I have a carbine clip on the keyfob and always clip that to a belt loop. Can't forget it there.
A very senior friend has his keyfob hung on a thingy around his neck.
I haven't had occasion to give it a try yet. I like the clip idea. I think I like the necklace idea too.

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
Look up how to disassemble it online and clean off the circuit board with electronic contact cleaner. Hose off the whole board with it and let it dry. Replace the battery and maybe you'll get lucky

Got diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time.
Open the fob clean with alcohol replace the battery and you should be fine. I've done this a few times my self. They always worked after doing this and I didn't have issues with my washed fobs. Make sure its dry and hit it with some air with a blow dryer not on the hot setting .

Quincy

Veteran Member
TDI
I have been using the key that got washed for the last few days with no issues.