Front bumper guides

mgoff5000

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2004 Passat (RIP)
So I snagged a parking curb again and the side of my front bumper came loose. I took off the wheel well screws and got enough play to slide the bumper over the guide that runs right up to the wheel well. However, it looked to me like there was another guide forward of that point that was broken. It's not a huge deal but the bumper does protrude about 3/8" at the headlight. I looked online to buy a replacement guide but I only see the one the attaches just forward of the wheel well. Can anyone let me know if there is another guide to hold the bumper flush up towards the headlight?

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
So I snagged a parking curb again and the side of my front bumper came loose. I took off the wheel well screws and got enough play to slide the bumper over the guide that runs right up to the wheel well. However, it looked to me like there was another guide forward of that point that was broken. It's not a huge deal but the bumper does protrude about 3/8" at the headlight. I looked online to buy a replacement guide but I only see the one the attaches just forward of the wheel well. Can anyone let me know if there is another guide to hold the bumper flush up towards the headlight?
Do you have it aligned correctly at the side fender where it meets the wheel well? Without a picture, it sounds like you don't have it all the way on.

If I recall correctly, the guide on the side of the bumper shell has 3 parts. You have to make sure all three spots are in the groove as you slide the bumper shell to meet the wheel well area.

mgoff5000

Veteran Member
TDI
It's pretty well aligned at the wheel well. This is the part I think I caught properly on both hooks. Just asking if there's something like this closer to the headlight.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
No, there is not. Sounds like it's getting caught up on something. You don't say which side of the car it happened to. If you would add a pic to your post it might give us a better way to view what you are seeing. There is a spot right below the right sidenheadlight assembly which is where the intercooler bracket mounts that could cause hangup.

I would recommend you redo the install. Remove the wheelwell screws and lower bumper screw behind the lower grill and try to re-position it. I don't know if that is enough to move it around enough though.

bbexotics

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat,2006 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon, 2017 Cayman S
The piece that the bumper has going int the part that is pictured above is broken. The piece shown screws into fender then bumper slides into pictured piece and stays in place. How do I k ow? Cause I just went thru same thing. I removed the whole bumper cover and saw what’s broken.think that you have to buy whole bumper cover.

mgoff5000

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, that's a good idea. I haven't included a photo because I find it time-intensive to upload the photo and link it. Is there a simpler way to just get a picture from your phone onto the thread?