2003 Jetta TDI??

cas57

TDI
2009 JSW
Looking at a 2003 Jetta 5-speed with 92,000 miles on it. Owner wants $6900 for it, which I know is too high. Would this be a good car to buy? What should I look for? What would be a fair price?

I am buying a used car to tide me over until I can do the buy-out with my 2009 JSW. It is showing some codes and I am afraid I won't be able to drive into the dealership under its own power.

Thanks in advance for your help.

miningman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
You might think $6900 is too high but the owner will probably get close to that if he advertises aggressively and waits awhile. If you dont like his price , walk away.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
It's a good price for both of you.... We have members here with over 1 Million Kilometers on the car. It's the ALH engine....That JETTA is just broken in.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Timing belt done? When?

Body rust? Have you crawled under the car to look for yourself?

How's the battery?

Where is the target car located?

Good luck,

PH

PS: I have a 2 dr silver Golf, 5 sp, more miles but half the price. And I can tell you exactly what is wrong with it. ;)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
If it is in really good shape, it may not be that bad of a price. It'll easily outlast anything else you could buy for that.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Last edited:

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V#2 "Flash", 2000 Jetta GL, B4V#1 "PaTuDI" (2008-2018 RIP)
Also find out what brand of timing belt, etc., was used. Proethe has multiple websites/domain names to peddle his junk through.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
With 92K miles on it, the TB may not have been done yet. If that's the case, you would be able to do the TB correctly with quality parts and KNOW without a doubt the TB's and related components condition.

Some, not all folks can be very deceptive when selling a car. Even if you ask all the right question, many time the owner may tell you what you want to hear.

Also, even if they did use quality parts you have no way of knowing the quality of the workmanship.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
$6900 is reasonable due to mileage and if there isn't rust, the tires, brakes etc are ok and the timing belt was done properly. If the t/belt wasn't done, then I'd offer $5900.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
And, being a 2003, with only 92k miles, there's a very good chance the TB has never been changed! I've done several TB jobs that had anywhere from about 100k to one with 149k miles.

Also, there's a big difference in the '03 you speak of vs the two listed on craigslist in Texas... both are BRM engines with auto trans.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I know the those cars are different. My point is the price of the 2003 is way over the value of what it is truly worth. A fully loaded 2003 TDI in excellent condition (which is nearly unlikely) is worth $4100 on kbb for private party sale in my area.

miningman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
What something is worth depends very highly on whether you are buying or selling. KB estimate or any other book value is nothing but an estimate and does not accurately account for geographical differences in supply and demand. As previously , if you don't like a price, walk away. And that is the beauty of buying at auction. By definition, if you are the high bidder, that is the definitive value of that piece of property on that day. Now whether it is a good buy, or mechanically sound , that is a totally different discussion.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
What something is worth depends very highly on whether you are buying or selling. KB estimate or any other book value is nothing but an estimate and does not accurately account for geographical differences in supply and demand. As previously , if you don't like a price, walk away. And that is the beauty of buying at auction. By definition, if you are the high bidder, that is the definitive value of that piece of property on that day. Now whether it is a good buy, or mechanically sound , that is a totally different discussion.
For sure what you say is true. However, the differences between prices between locales can't be that much different - not 50% difference anyway.

At the end of the day, the OP can pay whatever he wants. Sometimes convenience costs more.

kiara

TDI
TDI 265-6
I'm TOTALLY agree with this.
Price is not something you can measure just by kilometres, many to consider. Let's say memories, no I'm just kidding here :D