TDI too loud???

Jlo

TDI
1999 VW Golf Mk4 1.9L 1896CC 116Cu. In.
What's up gang,
So I just got back from a week long vacation and upon driving good 'ol Bonnie, she sounded louder than normal. It's almost as if I have a performance exhaust system. It also seems to come from the rear and not the engine compartment.
Some of the noted observations are:
1- the noise minimizes when I accelerate.
2- the turbo whistle sounds like crap
3- overall vibration is greater than usual, but maybe I'm just over reacting on this one.
I drove the car for almost 2 hrs in the highway thinking it just needed to be cleansed. Any thoughts?
Wife also claims to smell like a burning smell, but I couldn't smell Sh!t.
Thanks

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Sounds like maybe the turbo vanes are sticking. I'd try an Italian tune up, being mindful of the possibility of a runaway.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
Once a month a friendly ITALIAN Tune-Up is the right medicine.

Jlo

TDI
Sounds like maybe the turbo vanes are sticking. I'd try an Italian tune up, being mindful of the possibility of a runaway.
I don't quite understand what you mean by runaway.
Also,
Could you please elaborate on what an Italian tune up consist of?
Thank you

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't quite understand what you mean by runaway.
Also,
Could you please elaborare on what an Italian tune up consist of?
Thank you
The "Italian tuneup" is just a really vigorous workout of the engine. A good jaunt at high speed on the autobahn should do the trick. A "runaway" is when a turbo failure or other failure causes the engine to race uncontrollably. In such a situation, placing the car in 5th or 6th gear and releasing the clutch with the brakes applied should stall the engine and stop the runaway.

kiara

TDI
TDI 265-6
The "Italian tuneup" is just a really vigorous workout of the engine. A good jaunt at high speed on the autobahn should do the trick. A "runaway" is when a turbo failure or other failure causes the engine to race uncontrollably. In such a situation, placing the car in 5th or 6th gear and releasing the clutch with the brakes applied should stall the engine and stop the runaway.
Thank you for explain it, I'm quite lost here too :D

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I'd check for exhaust leaks: I've got one on my car, not sure where it's at because I've been too busy to look; it sounds like crap (still runs great though) and it's a bit smelly. Don't assume that it's coming from the rear.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Check exhaust, sounds like a hanger broke or a section rotted out. Quite easy to see, look for black area's under the car. Flex pipes like to leak too, easy to spot, open the hood, shine down the back and have a friend start the car, watch for a plume of smoke.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
My Beetle has a straight 3 inch pipe from the turbo back - with a resonator at the back just in case.

No - I don't do Italian tuneups anymore - car smokes like a train if I try to run THAT hard. I have to keep under 3K RPM to prevent serious smoke ( not that it's running poorly - I'm just that much over-fueled - I EASILY pull 5K RPM and it's still making power.).

Jlo

TDI
[/url][/IMG]

So this is the problem. Any advise on how to fix this???

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Looks like time for a new exhaust. I suppose you could just patch it up, but it looks pretty rotted out to me.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Easy fix by a muffler shop. I fix those here by sliding a piece of pipe over the cat and broken piece and weld it up or delete the cat if you choose too. They rot there all the time.