HPFP failure and buyback questions

Liz329

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I've been enjoying reading everyone's threads on both Dieselgate and issues with the HPFP. So here is my situation, I bought my 2010 JettaTDI last year before the scandal and have already signed up to be a part of the VW settlement. I also have already gotten a goodwill package. As of signing up for the settlement, my TDI ran just fine. I have always used lubricants in my fuel every 1-2k mi and have avoided sketchy gas stations. A couple of days ago, my car went into limp mode and I got the high and the low pressure on the field rail codes 88, 87, and 191. So I looked up the possible exclamation for this, and figured it was just the sensor. Upon removing the fuel filter and inspecting The pump itself, there is metal shrapnel in it. I am not sure how extensive the damage is, but I know that this is a very bad sign. As of right now, it cannot be started because I have not bled the air out of the system yet. Which I am also just realizing can be rather complicated. I know that these HPFP are a particular new sense and this vehicle. Does anyone think that this will affect the buyback and if it would be worth getting it fixed before I take it up to the dealership on November 1? I absolutely love my car and it has been very saddening for me to please my baby and general, but then to have this happen right now when I desperately need my vehicle to run, has been absolutely devastating. I should also mention that I had the car serviced for it's 80,000 mile service at the dealership at the end of June. at this time, they did replace my fuel filter and performed some recall work. I began first noticing issues after taking it there with decreased fuel efficiency.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Maybe replace the fuel filter and try to get as much metal out as possible, if she runs ok and no lights, leave it until buyback time otherwise you're SOL. You either have to fix it yourself or pay someone but then you're looking at $5000+.

What's your mileage on the car?

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
The HPFP has an extended warranty to 120,000 miles. but they will test the fuel and might deny coverage if they decide it fails the test. Some dealers have done self tests and claimed it fails so not covered.

It is possible there was gas mixed in the diesel tank you fueled at so cant assume dealer is lying if it fails. just have to be sure they do an official test. If they do claim bad fuel then it could be covered by your insurance if you have comprehensive.

I agree with turbovan... if you are selling the car back, and it still runs good enough to drive, and you have another car to use, might try and let it sit until turn in time.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Letting it sit is the only alternative. Don't chance running it and having it breakdown before the buy out. Limp it to the dealership when they want it.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Tow it to the lot next door when its time and only drive it that short distance. There is lots of money riding on this and I wouldn't chance it any more than you have to.